Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
northivanastan

CC0 MIDIs and other music for your projects

I'm a hobbyist musician and lately I've been getting back into creating MIDIs. I license my music as permissively as possible, in this case under the CC0 (equivalent to public domain). Basically, feel free to do whatever you want to with these, commercial or non-commercial, with or without attribution or permission (though I would appreciate attribution). Constructive criticism of the MIDIs would be welcome.

Everything linked is on OpenGameArt, a site dedicated to publishing free-to-use game assets. If you'd like to release your music under CC0, CC-BY, or even GPL, I recommend creating an account and posting there. Here's my account page there, so you can see everything at once: https://opengameart.org/users/northivanastan

Descriptions for the tracks:

• Challenges Ahead - Since the other three tracks were too upbeat, I wanted to try and make a somewhat darker song. This one feels unfinished to me but it works as a loop for now.
  • Death Waltz - wanted to try and create a more ambient/horror track. Also, to push my creativity a bit, I made it 3/4. It ended up sounding like a castle level in a fantasy game more than one of Doom's horror tracks, but I'm sure it still fits in a map of some sort.
  • Fun is Infinite at AGM -  An upbeat dialogue between two synthesizers. I think it lends itself to all sorts of video games. AGM is the UAC replacement in Freedoom.
  • Good Endings - here I was trying to push myself to create a longer MIDI; still only three minutes though, I would have liked it to be longer. For the sake of variety, it's a very calming song. The chord progression is based on the one in "Tsuki no Koibumi" by C418, but to make up for that, the other aspects are very different.
  • Let The Battles Begin - A track I made a couple years ago, meant as an RPG battle theme, but you might like it nonetheless.
  • Punch Your Way Through - A really fast-paced and upbeat track that's probably the best suited to Doom out of all of these
  • Quantum 2 - A MIDI remix I made of an old (non-MIDI) song of mine called "Quantum." I'm really proud of both the original and this remix. It's an uptempo song, but the melody has a subtly somber tone to it. There are things I can do with MIDI better than with a physical synthesizer, since I'm not limited by my keyboard playing ability, and I wanted to do those things in this remix.

archive.org link where I used to post these: https://archive.org/details/northivanastan-midis-20210203

You might be interested in my Bandcamp page where I post a lot of music that's also free to use in anything (the Bandcamp stuff is CC-BY only because that's the most permissive license Bandcamp lets me use).

Edited by northivanastan : add Quantum 2

You are a saint my friend! I'm guessing since you've released these under CC0 - modifying these tracks into new tracks is also allowed!

10 minutes ago, Ar_e_en said:

You are a saint my friend! I'm guessing since you've released these under CC0 - modifying these tracks into new tracks is also allowed!

Absolutely! Not only that, I would love hearing anything that other musicians make of my tracks.

Really good MIDIs! Very strong feeling of adventure and triumph. Great bass lines and chord progressions. 'Challenges Ahead' is a tad "transposy" but still has a cool action vibe. 'Fun is Infinite at AGM' is a highlight and almost has a Shovel Knight feeling. These would all fit great in fantasy type maps and I think you have a great style and should keep up the awesome work!

It's been a few days and I've made two more MIDIs in that time. They are on the same archive.org page as before; I might start getting things on OpenGameArt soon, though I'm debating whether to wait and release them in collections of multiple MIDIs with similar styles.

• Good Endings - here I was trying to push myself to create a longer MIDI; still only three minutes though, I would have liked it to be longer. For the sake of variety, it's a very calming song. The chord progression is based on the one in "Tsuki no Koibumi" by C418, but to make up for that, the other aspects are very different.
  • Death Waltz - wanted to try and create a more ambient/horror track. Also, to push my creativity a bit, I made it 3/4. It ended up sounding like a castle level in a fantasy game more than one of Doom's horror tracks, but I'm sure it still fits in a map of some sort.

Spoiler

Haven't made any new game MIDIs in the last week, but for practice I made a cover of "sd_bbb" by Patricia Taxxon, which is best known for its use in the video "EEEAAAOOO." It wasn't a perfect cover, though, as there were some things I couldn't figure out how to replicate. Since the original is CC-BY-SA I uploaded it separately with that license; if you use it you must give credit to me and Patricia Taxxon and include the CC-BY-SA license. The original is also there, so you can see how much better it is :)

Give it a listen here: https://archive.org/details/sd_bbb

I was originally going to post a MIDI cover of another song (sd_bbb by Patricia Taxxon) but it didn't export properly as MIDI. You can still listen to the MP3 which did export correctly (see the spoiler for a link), but it would be pointless since it's just a MIDI translation of another song, and not even a good one, so I guess this is just a bump.

I'll be uploading the other MIDIs to OpenGameArt soon. Please provide feedback for the tracks I posted last week, it feels like nobody saw them.

Edited by northivanastan

Nothing new this week, I had a lot of ideas but couldn't make complete tracks out of them.

However, everything is now on OpenGameArt, which is where I will be posting all of my MIDIs from now on.

Just published a new MIDI to OpenGameArt, entitled Quantum 2. This one is a remix of an older song of mine, called Quantum.

I'm really proud of both the original and this remix. It's an uptempo song, but the melody has a subtly somber tone to it. There are things I can do with MIDI better than with a physical synthesizer, since I'm not limited by my keyboard playing ability, and I wanted to do those things in this remix.