Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hannahhatesherself

Tips on making wads.

I'd recommend making all of your maps in vanilla, otherwise people will complain about it not being compatible with the 100+ versions of boom and others.

6 minutes ago, hannahhatesherself said:

all of my wads so far are for doom II

Doom in doom 2 format?.

Map format in doombuilder, the very first option. If you want to use zdoom features pick udmf, otherwise doom format.

Here's a couple of good places to check for getting started in all things Doom:

And as linked in the post above mine Romero's design rules helped me along in my early days, and it's good to get an idea of what it is you enjoy most about Doom and try capitalizing on those ideas. Don't be afraid to start small if you have to, just have fun with working the editors out and be sure to save your work often!

Start from here, it helped me a lot when I was new and fresh in doom mapping and designing. 

1 hour ago, hannahhatesherself said:

Any of you peeps got tips for new wad makers?

Look... All I'm trying to say is that being new to mapping, and not knowing where to start, doesn't make you special, and I mean that in the most positive sense imaginable, because thankfully there are tons of resources out there that you can have a look at...

All you need to do is to use this forum's search function, or browse the editing tutorials subforum, or use google, or etc...

My favorite Romero rule:

If you're indoors and can see things outside, make sure you're able to get there somehow.

22 hours ago, Mangcubus said:

My favorite Romero rule:

If you're indoors and can see things outside, make sure you're able to get there somehow.

Eh, that's not really a good rule. Lots of maps have outdoor detailing that you can see through windows, off ledges, through fences, off the edges of precipices etc that is just that, detailing. This is what helps ground your map in a 'real' environment and create the impression of a much larger world around it. If you can explore every aspect of your surroundings, then there is no mystery left.

If you are still in need of online help (I mean like courses) you can check out community map designers's discord channels. Folks in those channels are really helpful. They even make maps to teach you or address you to guides of what specific issue you have.

For my personal advise is:

Slow down while playing and take notes about maps. So when you mapping you can pay attention to do's and don'ts.

My tip is to focus on creating engaging rooms to fight in. The advanced version of this tip is to create evoking & interesting landmarks for the player to discover. It gives the map its personality and identity and helps with navigation throughout the level. It also serves as a gratifying reward for the player exploring and discovering the level. 

On 2/3/2021 at 9:25 PM, DRMman said:

I'd recommend making all of your maps in vanilla, otherwise people will complain about it not being compatible with the 100+ versions of boom and others.

What an awful piece of advice.

16 hours ago, thelazyqdude said:

What an awful piece of advice.

This is obviously a bit tongue in cheek. There are however issues with the level of compatibility of various ports. In some cases wads will only run with specific older versions of a port. There are also wildly different ideas about what vanilla compatibility means. Changes / enhancements / fixes / tweaks can drastically alter gameplay and features in maps from what one experiences in doom2.exe / Chocolate Doom. A good example of this is a few ports that haven't reverted the problematic boom blockmap fix.

3 minutes ago, zokum said:

There are however issues with the level of compatibility of various ports. In some cases wads will only run with specific older versions of a port.

TIL...