Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemonicSavage

Help/tips for a disabled Doom player?

6 hours ago, Maes said:

There are actually full-sized pedal controllers (for gaming or even for office use, e.g. for shift + alt keys) that could be used for that purpose.

Edit: oh well, @Azuris beat me to it.

To be honest, when he uses a right-handed mouse when he is left handed, buying controllers is probably not the best use of money. As a former student I know how shitty it can be to not have that much money to spend on computer stuff :)

5 hours ago, zokum said:

To be honest, when he uses a right-handed mouse when he is left handed, buying controllers is probably not the best use of money. As a former student I know how shitty it can be to not have that much money to spend on computer stuff :)

While I'm not a student anymore, I'm in a situation where that would be too expensive for me.

If you're really only having problems with strafing then I'd say the simplest option would just be to bind strafe to the scroll wheel, but for some reason I can't get it to work on GZdoom. You might have better luck than me, I might just have some conflicting controls.

EDIT: Actually just read that you can't bind the scroll wheel to 'buttons' on GZdoom. I think you can probably still get it to work with external software though. http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm With this software you should be able to bind say mouse down to the A key and then you just have to bind A to strafe in GZdoom and you can strafe with the mousewheel.

I'm on Linux, but I shall try that with Xmodmap or something similar. It seems interesting, but switching weapons with the number keys might be suboptimal. I'll try anyway and see if I can play better.

Trying different configurations of key bindings to take off some load from the mouse hand might help a lot, or even playing keyboard only. Changing the way you approach encounters could also be helpful since in a lot of maps you can just manage enemy aggro and infighting.

There might be a configurations of keys that allow you to shortcut a circle strafing motion on a single hand for when you need extra speed dodging projectiles, but i'm not sure what would work best for you.

Overall, i think that a combination of clever key bindings, knowledge of how to manipulate aggro may give you a comfortable experience. Don't be discouraged though because plutonia is pretty tough and the encounters are really mean.

I will also try different keybindings.

Also, welcome to Doomworld :-) Am looking forward to seeing you around :-)

Thank you!

Maybe use A and D as Strafe and the mouse to turn thats what I do. 

That's what I do currently, but it's suboptimal.

ZDoom wiki is definitely you need here, BUT not Decorate. For such tasks it's better to use ZScript:

https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZScript

I made a mod with ZScript that slows down the projectiles (in the case of the rocket, only if it's from a Cyberdemon).

I would like to share it to anyone else that may find it useful, where should I post it?

PracticeMode.7z

1 hour ago, DemonicSavage said:

I'm on Linux, but I shall try that with Xmodmap or something similar. It seems interesting, but switching weapons with the number keys might be suboptimal. I'll try anyway and see if I can play better.

I think a combination of that and getting a mouse with buttons on the side that you can use for weapon switching would be your best option, or better yet a whole keypad on the side so you don't have to slowly scroll through each weapon to get to the one you want.

It's probably not relevant for the OP but I recently found that Chocolate Heretic can be played with one hand only. Helpful if someone has an injury, for example.

This reminded me that Espi made a video of him playing with a 1 handed setup after he lost his right arm to cancer: [edit: fraggle already posted it and I didn't notice, sorry]

It's hard to tell from the video but I'm assuming the bindings would be something like RMB-fire, LMB-strafe, double click to use, and scroll wheel for weapon switching and it shows you can beat pretty difficult maps even with a 1 handed setup.

A couple of companies do also make gaming mice with a whole set of keys built in like the Razer Naga:

rzrnagaepicchroma_02.png.340fdf9a3f7272c185f0f252b99e0411.png
You could easily bind every weapon hotkey to a mouse like this and probably be able to switch as fast as someone using a keyboard. I'm not sure how hard it is to find left handed variants of mice like this though.

You can try a keyboard only -no strafe buttons- setup on lower difficulties. The only buttons you need are the movement arrows (use back + left or right instead of strafing) and fire \ open doors. I think you can beat plutonia even on HMP like this, Even on UV but it will be a bit trickier to get used to it.

On 2/5/2021 at 1:15 AM, Dexiaz said:

ZDoom wiki is definitely you need here, BUT not Decorate. For such tasks it's better to use ZScript.

ZScript is very powerful and good to learn, but it usually needs prior programming knowledge, which DECORATE really mostly doesn't.

24 minutes ago, Gustavo6046 said:

but it usually needs prior programming knowledge, which DECORATE really mostly doesn't.

I don't see the problem here. Even if you're not in good relationship with programming, you're always could ask someone for help or request the script.

Edited by Dexiaz