Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Cyb

Romero's Doom Stuff

Over at Planet Rome.ro our favorite guy who made Doom, Meester Romero, has finally opened his Doom Section. With what, you ask? Well, there's a whole bunch of neat stuff there. You can download an old radio ad for Ultimate Doom (back when id had to do all that PR stuff) and a nifty little story about a tape Manny Charlton sent to id in 1995 (he's the lead singer from Nazareth...yeah I never heard of them either) as well as a download link to an mp3 of the song on the tape. Ah, but the best is yet to come! If you know who Lee Killough is, you will want to read on. PS - I don't have ftp access, so you'll have to live with the cake picture until Ling changes it. Okay I fixed it, but I liked the cake so much I left it in! <3

Along with Romero's Doom section, he has also (finally) uploaded the archives of Lee Killough's Doom Pages. If you don't know who Lee is, well first, shame on you, and second, he's the guy behind Boom (along with a few others at TeamTNT) and later MBF, which is the port SMMU and now Eternity are based on. The site was one of my favorites a few years ago, and it houses numerous really cool things about the original engine such as all the bugs and oddities and limits. Also you can check out a ton of info on the older alpha and beta versions of Doom as well as read up on all sorts of other neat stuff.

So essentially, if there was ever anything you wanted to know about Doom, this is the place to go. It was a big disappointment when Lee took the site down all those years ago, but it's good to know it's finally back. So now we must all shower Mr. Romero with praise and gold and virgins and stuff. So there. It's just the decent thing to do.

Great site for old Doom info from the man who really should know.

Good to see Lee's pages up again too. When he and they went over the horizon there was a space left. The original colour of Lee's pages was a light grey right?

Awesome ad too. "That man is you." :-)

Never heard of Nazareth? Bah, only the band who did the best cover ever of The Everly Brother's "Love Hurts". I was talking to Don (or was it Phil?) Everly after a concert once (seriously) and he said that once when they played "Love Hurts" someone said they didn't know the Everlys covered Nazareth songs. :-/

Nazareth had other classic hits (covers and their own stuff) "Whisky Drinkin' Woman", "Holy Roller", "This Flight Tonight", "My White Bicycle", "Hair of the Dog"... Ok, so they are a bit cheesy now, and definitely not up to the minute stuff, not even in '95 I guess, but lest we forget...

Oh yeah, and they were kind of a local band, around here anyway. :-)

Cheesy

<mewse> uh oh cyb
<mewse> broken image link on the top story
<Cyb> wha?
<Cyb> yeah
<Cyb> I don
<Cyb> t have ftp access
<Cyb> and you can't turn off images in top stories
<mewse> oh
<mewse> make it the cake then
<Cyb> rofl
<Cyb> yeah I was considering the ugo logo
<Cyb> the cake works tho

hooray and huzzah! It only took JR two years to get this uploaded as well (he first mentioned getting permission on July 30, 2000), by his standards thats pretty quick ;)

/me ph33rs the cake
Heh I went by Lee Killough's pages, lots of useful stuff there, quite cool. Though there are a few dead links. :/

Heh, that radio ad indeed is exellent! Oh no, now I stucked listening to it and I have much "more important" things to do :)

EDIT: Wow, 400 posts!

Of all the doom links, he put doom2.net? rofl!

Anyways, has the number of pleople visiting our site increased from him linking us?

doomworld's been linked from rome.ro since time immemorial. It'd be difficult to tell now whether or not that's been increasing our hit count.

Insomniac said:

Of all the doom links, he put doom2.net? rofl!

Uh, WTF, dumbass n00b. He knows where the hardcore DMers congregate.

Insomniac - wtf, of all sites? Doom2.net is the only real good doom deathmatch resource around, or perhaps you care to enlighten us of any optional resources covering the same ground to that extent?

One dumb fucking noob indeed...

I'd bet a lot of money that Romero was the prime reason deathmatch was so prevalent in id's games.
I'm sure he is still a formidable opponent for most of us.
There are really only 6 mandatory DOOM sites, IMO: DW, Compet-N, Ledmeister, Doom2.net, TeamTNT, and the ftp archive.

Andy Johnsen said:

Insomniac - wtf, of all sites? Doom2.net is the only real good doom deathmatch resource around, or perhaps you care to enlighten us of any optional resources covering the same ground to that extent?

One dumb fucking noob indeed...

While I agree that Doom2.net is probably the most awesome DM site I have seen there are reasons why a DM'er might want to look elsewhere. After all Doom2.net focuses on pure unported deathmatch.

People who are more into playing deathmatch with ports or even console Doom types might want to frequent other sites.

While you Doom2.net guys might be the cream of the Doom Deathmatch community you are not = the whole Doom deathmatch community.

"you doom2.net guys", heh. Just because you are playing over zdaemon dosn't mean alot of the same info don't apply just as well. People with some interest in improving their deathmatch game would gain from visiting doom2.net

And noone here said anything about 1.9 purists being the only dm'ers. I find it natural Romero would mainly put up links covering the original game tho, and insomniacs put-down attitude is out of place anyway

Little Faith, yeah, but keep in mind that rome.ro is about DOOM, and focuses mainly on the game id released, not source engines, add-ons or ports (not to say that John doesn't like them, he sure does and even uses some of these himself.) So being surprised doom2.net is highlighted (linked) is truly ridiculous. At most you can say the design is rather simple... is that what Insomniac meant (that he reads books by their cover)?

Anyway, it's cool to see Lee Killough's pages up there... I hadn't seen them before and they are indeed full of cool info.

Oh, I was not commenting on Romero's choice of site links,

mainly of Andy Johnsen's rather hostile reaction towards Insomniac. Just because people are not that knowlegdable they don't have to be called "Dumb fucking noobs".

myk said:

...ports (not to say that John doesn't like them, he sure does and even uses some of these himself.)

Just to amplify that point, I notice that he recommends that people replay Hexen using jHexen.

[To preempt any j vs Z flamewar, I should mention that this was before Zdoom had full Hexen support, so it may not indicate his current preference.]

Sign in to follow this