Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

-link removed- It has all 32 maps (some maps have been updated, I'll start adding changelogs from this version onwards). Only the graphics and story is missing. I've also quickly picked new midis (from the Plutonia and TNT midi packs) for the maps that don't have music selected (to the authors: feel free to let me know if you have any MIDIs you want for your maps instead).

I also would like to take this opportunity to ask for help in the graphics department. Is there anyone who'd be willing to help out with making a new title screen, level names, and so on?

I've also changed the maplist order a bit for better flow. It is as follows:

Compilation V0.9.5 Maplist

Map01- "Inception" by Dutch Doomer/Joshy

Map02- "Medieval Evil" by Silverminer

Map03- "Murder Well" by deetee

Map04- "Decayed Redoubt" by riderr3

Map05- "Against the Spirit" by DMPhobos

Map06- "Waters" by DJVCardMaster

Map07- "Agarthan Anomaly" by Captain Toenail

Map08- "Azure Ambition" by Sincity2100

Map09- "Church of Pollution" by The SloVinator

Map10- "Natural Selection" by DJVCardMaster

Map11- "Plutonium Rust" by Eternal

Map12- "Close Encounters" by Egg Boy

Map13- "Never Safe, Always Sorry" by NuMetalManiak/Archi

Map14- "Corpseflower" by Scorpius

Map15- "Ironclad" by Cheesewheel

Map16- "Ifrit's Lair" by Edumm/Egg Boy

Map17- "The Wolf Hour" by Sincity2100

Map18- "Enclave" by Anon

Map19- "Acid Bath" by DukeOfDoom

Map20- "Calamity Valley" by Yumheart

Map21- "Scorched Sacellum" by Wydoomer

Map22- "Trickster's Lair" by Jark

Map23- "Wrong Turn" by MattFright

Map24- "Untitled" by tatsurd-cacocaco

Map25- "Sting Operation" by General Rainbow Bacon

Map26- "Golgotha" by Xyzzy01

Map27- "Rules of Nature" by Potatoboih

Map28- "Crimson Realm" by Waverider

Map29- "Gehenna" by Yumheart

Map30- "Shattered Nightmare" by Death Bear

Map31- "Steel Mill Zone" by Joshy

Map32- "Orestruck" by Cannonball

On 1/3/2022 at 9:10 AM, blob1024 said:

oh wonderful is v0.9 last working version by now? are you working on bugfixing or may I start playing and eventually demorecording already? :)

since its plutonia iwad. + prcp2.wad, which cl would suit best, 4, 9, or?

Play this version instead :) As for complevel, I don't know exactly, I suspect 9 is the best considering it is a boom compat project and that overrides differences betwee Doom2 and Final Doom?

Edited by Joshy

Only just started this, and am liking it so far, but I already have questions.

GRNLAV5 was never added to Texture1, Pnames or Animated. I can see it's possible purpose to give a slight pulse effect, since it's the same as GRNLAV1. Was adding it missed or was it just not deleted?

SWxMID was never added to Switches, so it doesn't animate when used.

DOSWxx textures were also not added to Switches. Were they just meant to be decorations, like in the original PRCP?

MAP02

Spoiler

On the W side of the S area is a space you can squeeze through to get outside the map into the water. Line #2197 is 35 units long. You can then go WNW, climb the invisible steps and walk right into the exit, finishing the map in 15 seconds. Is that left over from testing? Or a gift for speedrunners? I kept looking for something else hidden in the water, but only found the tag 87 escape teleport.

MAP03 (edit)

Spoiler

You can exit the map in 3 seconds by letting the AV jump you towards it from the starting spot. Also for speedrunners?

The path to W1 tag 1, which lowers the secret Soul Sphere, is tagged as four secrets. Sector #98, 100, 101 and 1 are all tagged.

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

@EffinghamHuffnagel

Spoiler
10 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

Is that left over from testing? Or a gift for speedrunners?

The latter. Don't blow the whistle pls

Also there's a less effective, but another one o_O heh

@SilverMiner

Spoiler

Ah. Sorry. I spent some time as a corporate software beta tester. I tend to try everything to see what breaks. Now that I know there are intentional such things rather than just happenstance, I'll avoid mentioning them in future if I run across them.

Graphics wise, what needs to be done? If you need level names I'm sure I can bring out the ol' Doom Writer and generate some names for you guys, but is there anything else?

On 1/7/2022 at 3:27 PM, Athel said:

Graphics wise, what needs to be done? If you need level names I'm sure I can bring out the ol' Doom Writer and generate some names for you guys, but is there anything else?

I've asked someone if they could do the graphics but I'll let you know if they're not able to do it :)

On 1/9/2022 at 8:54 PM, wydoomer said:

@Deadwing I can't replicate that texture/hom glitch on my end that I saw in your video. Which source port are you using?

Sorry for taking so long to answer >.<

I tested using ZDoom 2.7.1, so it might not be much of a problem

Good news everyone! The first full version of PRCP2 is now ready to play!

You can download the first release candidate here: link removed

edit: I updated Map26- accidentally had the old version in somehow.

Edited by Joshy

On 1/6/2022 at 12:20 PM, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

GRNLAV5 was never added to Texture1, Pnames or Animated. I can see it's possible purpose to give a slight pulse effect, since it's the same as GRNLAV1. Was adding it missed or was it just not deleted?

SWxMID was never added to Switches, so it doesn't animate when used.

DOSWxx textures were also not added to Switches. Were they just meant to be decorations, like in the original PRCP?

Thanks for pointing these out! I think they're mostly a carry over from the PRCP texture pack which has had its buggy quirks (I'm not sure how they happened). I'll try to get them fixed for the next release.

Congrats on the first release, loving the new graphics and looking forward to playing everyone else's maps! Just want to report that the text screens are not working properly and there are two DeHackEd lumps in the wad - one of which is 0 bytes so it's just pointless (maybe this was added in mistake?)

Edited by Scorpius

9 minutes ago, Scorpius said:

Congrats on the first release, looking forward to playing everyone else's maps! Just want to report that the text screens are not working properly and there are two DeHackEd lumps in the wad - one of which is 0 bytes so it's just pointless (maybe this was added in mistake?)

What engine are you using? I can confirm it works fine on prboom-plus, so it may be related to engine compatibility. Also the multiple dehacked is unintentional, may be from merging maps that also had a dehacked file as well.

51 minutes ago, Joshy said:

What engine are you using? I can confirm it works fine on prboom-plus, so it may be related to engine compatibility. Also the multiple dehacked is unintentional, may be from merging maps that also had a dehacked file as well.

Zandronum 3.0 - the only engine I can use right now

I've only beaten 7 maps so far and I'm really enjoying it! I'm super happy for this and excited to play more.

Congrats and thanks to everyone!

Spoiler

Solid hanging bodies annoy me but I guess these aren't too bad. I did get stuck on them in a few playthroughs.

doom-map03-solid-body.png.39da11491b00c286cbf148a4bbe045a6.png

Odd alignment for the floor? Many (all?) square pads and alcoves are a little off. I don't know. I don't even know why I mention it but yeah, rc1 now or never right? Honestly it might not be worth fixing.

doom-map05-floor-crate.png.b09a339b3c471b73158ab85680e099a8.png

Four maps in, great stuff so far - although I feel map 3 could use some serious lighting work.

6 hours ago, HackNeyed said:

I've only beaten 7 maps so far and I'm really enjoying it! I'm super happy for this and excited to play more.

Congrats and thanks to everyone!

Hide contents

Solid hanging bodies annoy me but I guess these aren't too bad. I did get stuck on them in a few playthroughs.

doom-map03-solid-body.png.39da11491b00c286cbf148a4bbe045a6.png

Odd alignment for the floor? Many (all?) square pads and alcoves are a little off. I don't know. I don't even know why I mention it but yeah, rc1 now or never right? Honestly it might not be worth fixing.

doom-map05-floor-crate.png.b09a339b3c471b73158ab85680e099a8.png

When it comes to that flat, that’s just how it works, the edges are only on 2 corners iirc, so the pad would have to be like 68 by 68 or something rather  than 64 by 64. It’s probably perfectly aligned on the grid.

18 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

Just wondering, is this the final release? It's all there, I mean story, intermission texts, etc? 

The first release, pending upcoming bugs and stuff that may need to be fixed. But it does have everything! (well, the story appears on prboom but not on gzdoom it seems, that'll be fixed for the next release version).

Edit: My map31 damaging floors are completely screwed up, totally my fault. Been played numerous times and for some reason it was not spotted, so that'll be fixed for the next release >.<

Edited by Joshy

Just beat map 11 and holy crap, that was amazing. Glad to see Eternal's still mapping - his skills haven't rusted one bit, it seems.

Wait, this has a level by Eternal? Can't believe I missed that, have to play the whole thing now :P

I wondered the same thing. But, since you can only get to the second exit by finding the secret Yellow Key, I figured the map was originally intended to be MAP15. It feels like the mechanics of finding the key were simplified, rather than re-working the area to make it more on the necessary path to the first exit.

Oh I just noticed the new RC, oops. Regarding the two exits, yeah it was intended to originally be for MAP15 (Archi was the one who put the other exit in), but due to another map being in the MAP15 slot I changed it to a normal exit. It was either going to be a secret exit or a BFG secret. Joshy did say to me that it's okay to switch the linedef from secret to normal and that two exits would make speedrunning a bit more interesting.

This was quite a fun playthrough!  Thanks and great job to everyone who contributed to this.  Thanks as well to those who joined me as I played through it and were able to give insights into the maps.  Notes/suggestions in the spoiler, hopefully I didn't forget anything:

Spoiler

This was played in DSDA-Doom complevel 9.

MAP02 - I wonder if there could be a secret way to crush all of the chaingunners.  Imagining what it would be like to max this map, I feel that trying to pick off the chaingunners as they constantly teleport around wouldn't be appealing, but that may be a personal preference.

MAP03 - Of the four secret sectors in the north of the map, only one needs to be a secret.

MAP06 - The revenants in the cages over the water near the exit can be knocked through the bars and into the water since the cages aren't impassable, but seem like they should be.

MAP12 - This one ended up being light on ammo, though I had also missed the berserk secret until I went back to find what I missed.  Still, I think a bit more would be good.

MAP15 - One of the chaingunners on the northeast ledge fell behind the ledge and was unkillable from there, so having the backside block monsters or be impassable would help.

MAP31 - The monsters in the northern closets (sectors 1589 and 1590) never woke up, resulting in missed kills.

MAP32 - The torch on sector 158 was slightly off center, making the fight after getting the yellow key a bit awkward when you brush against it from far below and get stuck on it.

MAP20 - I managed to softlock the map in the crusher section in the north.  I believe I was standing in sector 2048 as the nearby ceilings came down to crush everything and I was trapped between them.

MAP25 - The revenants on the platforms in the southeastern room were unable to move after rising.  Also, all of the monsters in the southern closets were asleep and never teleported in.

MAP27 - In the soulsphere secret in the northwest, the floor around the soulsphere is the secret sector.  I think having the sector that the soulsphere itself rests on would be better as the secret so it's less likely to miss being triggered.

MAP30 - There were a number of monster closets in the south that seemed to break, resulting in missed kills.

I don't know if these are planned but demo replacements and a widescreen version of the status bar to remove the green bricks would be good touches.

Edited by Vile

I wish you'd add more radsuits in map 31 because the progression is pretty confusing for a first playthrough. Loved the map aesthetics, and that new spin on the TNT midi is just *muah*

With playtesting underway, all I can say is thank you to everyone who has played through this so far. Hopefully I should be able to make some changes that will make my map a little more tolerable to most.

As some probably have spotted, to some degree a lot of the traditions of any "Plutonia-inspired" megawads have not cropped up here. On my part Orestruck is one of being there because it wasn't overly suitable for the main roster of maps. I built the map in expectation of it being the episode 2 closer, however I essentially map the central area too big and as such the map is a lot more bloated than i originally planned. However I saw the map through to completion because I liked a lot of the ideas I had put into this. However I did expect it to be rejected for being too big. However I do feel that this offers some of the biggest challenges of the megawad (Despite being quite often at odds with the dense combat of Go2It and its sequels). 

I will probably make some edits to give the player a little more slack (Probably more cell ammo and perhaps upgrading the soulspheres to megaspheres so players can get away with being a little more aggressive), as well as move that one torch (I was moving the metal platforms around prior to uploading this and forgot to move the torch). Any other suggestions would be most welcome. 

@cannonball Your map is awesome, but I'd never have guessed that you had originally made it for Plutonia 3. I thought it was put into the secret slot because it felt pretty removed from that school of level design - unless it's supposed to be an amalgam of a bunch of classic levels I know nothing about (kinda like Go 2 It but more forgiving), but it sure didn't appear that way.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:45 PM, Firedust said:

I wish you'd add more radsuits in map 31 because the progression is pretty confusing for a first playthrough. Loved the map aesthetics, and that new spin on the TNT midi is just *muah*

Glad you liked it! I'll definitely add more radsuits, that has been a common criticism so clearly there isn't quite enough.

4 hours ago, Firedust said:

@cannonball Your map is awesome, but I'd never have guessed that you had originally made it for Plutonia 3. I thought it was put into the secret slot because it felt pretty removed from that school of level design - unless it's supposed to be an amalgam of a bunch of classic levels I know nothing about (kinda like Go 2 It but more forgiving), but it sure didn't appear that way.

Cannonball actually made the map for PRCP2! He was just worried it was too big for a non secret map (among other big maps that was already in) and I agreed and suggested that it would actually work well as a secret map, considering its more unique designs and fun challenging gameplay.