Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

In map 29, you should consider raising the teleporter pillar that leads to the BFG a bit higher, because at the moment you can strafe across without the two required keys.

Map31 has what looks like a safe platform but with a damaging floor

Spoiler

map31a.png.721f277332273070ca6219e6a6315c9c.pngmap31b.png.e76b2cd2938138bccc7a2c2b77ecc59b.png

Also, I forgot to mention but @Vile covered it. Those Chaingunners in the turrets on Map02 are very boring to pick off when you've otherwise cleared the area.

Finally beat this! Huge thanks to Joshy and co for this wonderful mapset - I had an absolute blast playing it.

Favourite maps: 11, 23, 24, 31, 32

The only map I felt was underwhelming was 26 - the RL secret is so cryptic, I couldn't figure out how to get it even with the editor (I'm no mapper, mind), and without it, the level is A LOT harder. The BFG behind the horde of mancubi is kinda pointless as well because the cyb won't likely survive fighting that many, and even if he does, he'll be at death's door anyway.

Really enjoyed Map 22 and 26. Final IOS fight gets a big naw dawg from me.

I've spent way too much time trying to find out how to get that plasma rifle secret in map11 any help?

Edit* never mind, just found the solution. I feel like I've checked there before, whatever..

Edited by greenslimeriver

Awesome sequel to PRCP. The maps play very well and provide that distinctly Plutonia-ish challenge without being unfair (well, except perhaps for a few traps when you experience them for the first time :P).
This report was a long time in the making. Thanks to damo2k for reporting several of the issues here and to JCD for figuring out the fix for the broken stairs in MAP02.

MAP02
    - the stairs activated by switch 1501 are broken in ZDaemon but it can be fixed just by flipping lines 1685, 1686, 1689 and 1691
    - pretty unlikely without using freeaim (so you can shoot the archvile from farther away) but it's possible to get blasted by the archvile to the area between lines 639 and 1155 and get stuck there
    - a switch (line 1742) doesn't animate when it's pressed
    - I assume the invisible stairs to exit are there to continue the spirit of PRCP/PL2 intentional shortcuts but they feel a little too cheap - it doesn't even require any speed trick and you can just stroll to the exit completely unopposed
    - those teleporting chaingunners would be probably particularly annoying for a UV Max speedrun (and well, in general :P) but if you want to keep them I think a crusher taking care of them later might work as a solution for the speedrunning issue
MAP03
    - hanging corpses (things 188 and 189) block the player from above
    - one area consists of 4 different neighboring secrets (sectors 1, 98, 100 and 101) but it really only needs to be one
    - somehow managed to survive them on the first try but not a fan of those traps with the railings and chaingunners, it's very RNG-dependent how much health you lose
MAP04
    - if you cross only one linedef of sector 66 not all the damaging floor sectors lower to the same height so you'll have some areas where you don't take damage (the edge of the sectors) and there's also a visual artifact because of the differing floor heights. Doesn't show well on a screenshot so here's a demo showing off the issue: prcp2_map04.zip
MAP05
    - perhaps my fault or by coincidence but this is the one map where I found the progression confusing, I felt lost at several points before reaching the red skull key
    - floating health bonuses after the stairs are raised with the switch (line 3682)
MAP07
    - there's a node builder error in sector 451 somewhere between the chaingunner and the imp so one of them can fall down there and become unkillable
MAP09
    - the one complaint I have about this map are the secrets - some are fairly cryptic and some seem to be unmarked completely
MAP10
    - the 2 shotgunners in sector 247 tend to get stuck on yellow bars (sector 244) if you wake them up. This can be amended by removing the yellow door action from all the lines there except 1843, 1846, 1850 and 1855 which are the only lines that need it anyway.
    - sectors 131 and 133 have this issue with walls absorbing projectiles so if you are aiming at the chaingunners from certain places your projectiles can get eaten by the wall and leaving the chaingunner unharmed
MAP12
    - bars (sector 626) block progression in multiplayer
MAP14
    - blue bars (sector 172) block progression in multiplayer if player(s) die in that area
    - bad seg angle error (Doomwiki) at the start
MAP16
    - 2 demon+spectre pairs (things 220+221 and 226+227) are stuck into each other and thus also block other monsters behind them
MAP20
    - sectors 408-410 can lock out some players in multiplayer if they're in the "wrong place" when the blue and yellow switches at the start are pressed (and then break the map if all the players at the start die)
    - I believe this it not actually needed for map progression but sector 729 and I guess the whole crusher setup there can lock out some parts of the map in multiplayer
    - not sure when exactly this happens but there's this floating candle and I think a matching one on the other side there
MAP22
    - floating health bonuses
MAP23
    - the teleporters at the very start of the map are W1 so in online multiplayer players can get stuck there
    - the raised pillars at the start (sectors 1529, 1530 and 1532) block progression in multiplayer
    - sectors 3178, 2975 and 3500 block progression in multiplayer
    - HOM somewhere around sector 2956 if using software rendering
    - HOM and slime trail on line 3767 in ZDaemon, can be solved just by flipping the line
    - bad seg angle
    - floating bullet boxes
MAP25
    - seems like it's possible to skip line 735 and as a result get stuck in sector 228 (in nomo or with infinitely tall actors off)
    - hanging corpse (thing 7) blocks the player from above
MAP26
    - it's possible to get stuck between sectors 162 and 163 in multiplayer
MAP27
    - would be good if line 2056 could have a more distinct texture because it can be a bit confusing looking for a way out of that area
MAP29
    - may be intended but after you pick up the 100 health bonuses from the secret (sector 2247) the yellow tint from item pickup stays on for annoyingly long
    - the teleporters in the lava (sectors 1666, 1672 and 1677) and the tele to the BFG (line 6496) are all W1 which in the former case can lead to being effectively soft-locked and in the latter is just a bit inconvenient in multiplayer
MAP30
    - possible to get stuck behind sector 5
    - with some help from the archviles it's also possible to get stuck in the area next to sector 887, there are technically 3 different places where you can get stuck there so I would just make the lines of sectors 759 and 762 impassable to prevent that
    - an arachnotron will get stuck if it spawns in some of the IoS cube spawn spots, I think it's true for all except the thing 176 spot
    - it might be possible to skip line 9120 and then get stuck so would be good to add some more lines with the same action just to be safe
    - the cyberdemon at the end of the map can easily become stuck on the rising lift
    - slime trail

- missing coop starts in these maps: 12, 15, 20, 25, 29, 31, 32
- There is a discrepancy in the DEHACKED - "HUSTR" (i.e. Doom 2) is used in the STRINGS section but otherwise Plutonia map names and texts are referenced. However, this doesn't seem to cause any issues in the source ports I tried.
- empty DEHACKED lump between MAP20 and MAP30

prcp2_map04.zip

Fantastically in-depth playtesting as usual KD - out of interest was this ran through the usual TNS crowd for these results? 

2 hours ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

MAP22
    - floating health bonuses

Gah, looked in editor and a slither from the floaty bonuses touches the platform - though I must ask how did you trigger the trap, fight the ambush and raise the inner platforms without collecting the bonuses? EDIT: just remembered how multiplayer works

I will fix this regardless though.

Spoiler

image.png.de85565002628b4f4a959b1b6097ff8d.png

Edited by Jark

1 hour ago, Jark said:

out of interest was this ran through the usual TNS crowd for these results?

Not yet but many of these do come from playing on ZDaemon, I played only around half of the maps in singleplayer. TNS is coming, though, we will just wait for an update to solve at least the noteworthy issues.

1 hour ago, Jark said:

though I must ask how did you trigger the trap, fight the ambush and raise the inner platforms without collecting the bonuses?

You got us there, I'm fairly sure the bonuses in the screenshot are respawned :P

A few more reports:

MAP21
    - a soulsphere (thing 299) is in the void
MAP23
    - a revenant (thing 1445) is stuck
    - hell knight (thing 1162) and revenant (thing 1166) are stuck into each other in multiplayer

MAP30

- the 2 chaingunners in sector 622 will never teleport in because none of the teleporters in their area have a tag

- many of the rest of the monster teleporters are also problematic - the teleporting lines are south of the monsters but the place they're supposed to teleport to is north; almost inevitably some will fail to teleport in

Edited by Keyboard_Doomer

Map 24 is updated.

• I added detail in the huge valley area. (It's main in this update)
  • I added one secret.
  • I tweaked some enemies, but there is no change in difficulty.
  • I reduced the amount of ammo because it's too much.

Probably it's the final version, but I will update it again for any problem or suggestion. I also need play this map more.

prcp2_map24_tatsurd_v2.zip

@Joshy My map is updated. Download here

v2 changes:
-in swamp area, removed small metal platform which cause some sectors being not properly damaging.
-removed redundant tag 7 from small swampy river, which activates along with lift in another place.

I just played through the first 9 maps. My only real criticism is that I had way more ammo than I needed. I play continuous but I figured I'd mention it anyway.

Starting at map17 is gets real hard, even on HMP. After dying a bunch I finally gave in on map19.

Edited by Bryan T

After version 2, I play my map again on every skill levels (ITYTD/HMP/UV/UV on fast monsters).

It almost seems fine for me, but I tweaked it for some points.

• I fixed texture miss alignment.
  • I made a glide shortcut easier.
  • I tweaked ammo.

Personally I'm satisfied with it, so it's time to move on to Pl3 updates.

Of course, I will fix this map if you find a problem.

prcp2_map24_tatsurd_v3.zip

2 hours ago, tatsurd-cacocaco said:

After version 2, I play my map again on every skill levels (ITYTD/HMP/UV/UV on fast monsters).

It almost seems fine for me, but I tweaked it for some points.

• I fixed texture miss alignment.
  • I made a glide shortcut easier.
  • I tweaked ammo.

Personally I'm satisfied with it, so it's time to move on to Pl3 updates.

Of course, I will fix this map if you find a problem.

prcp2_map24_tatsurd_v3.zip

I found one thing, but it's ZDoom only. Tag 45 and 46 switches have textures on mid and lower. ZDoom animates lower before mid, so they don't animate when used. Works fine in GZDoom. Not sure how important a thing that is.

Just finished my playthrough. I had a great time! Probably my new favorite of the unofficial Plutonia sequels. I've got some feedback and some found bugs that may have already been reported, but oh well. I'll split my feedback into a bugs section and a subjective feedback section.

Bugs:

Spoiler

Map14:

The blue key can be grabbed from below without starting the fight.

Map16:

There are pinkies are stuck together in the closets in the red door wing.

Map19:

There's no monster block lines on any of the teleporters and it can lead to weird situations. I also think there should be exit signs placed by the bars at the exit because I had to scour the whole level after the final switch to find out where to go.

Map20:

There's something that randomly blocked me when trying to move through this area:

doom04.png

You can also get softlocked in the crusher section if you nestle yourself close to the entrance to the room:

doom05.png

Map21:

None of the shootable skull switches animated for me.

Map25:

The revs on the skull platforms in the east don't move and can't attack. There's also a blocking hanging decoration in this area under the archway.

Map28:

There's a blocking hanging decoration here that actually killed me when I tried to escape an AV blast:

doom06.png

Map30:

The blood in the final fight hurts you yet doesn't hurt you anywhere else in the map which is inconsistent.

Subjective feedback on some things:

Spoiler

Map20:

I don't really feel too hot about the crusher room, I didn't even realize there was a crusher going on until I saved after clearing everything. I ended up saving without having enough time to escape and had to use noclip.

Map25:

I think the blocking vine midtextures could be replaced with fencing, traditionally you can move through vines in Doom WADs. That got me killed. I also think the random shootable switch you can shoot by riding the red key pillar should do something of value. It seems pointless right now and it's not even a secret. Finally, at the YK area you can just leave and get everyone crushed which takes forever because of the AVs and is pretty boring. I think there should be a way to force the player to do that fight for real.

Map27:

I think the SSG should be more accessible somehow, I ended up having to spend a lot of time single-shotgunning nobles and mancubi because I only had shells. I went to the SSG area last. I also found the AV fight in that area very frustrating, with the way the cover is designed. It seems like the cover was placed at the exact right height to make you think you're safe, but get barely blasted by the AVs when you think the raised floors are blocking you. I died a lot like that. I'd suggest just raising those ledges one tick.

Map28:

I think the surprise fight right before the yellow key is pretty luck-based. There's an AV with no cover at all and it becomes a game of hoping he'll get distracted by something. I think the next fight after could use a megaarmor instead of a regular armor before too, and even more health. I ended up just hiding in that secret supercharge to beat that fight since I went in with low health.

Map29:

I ran out of ammo cleaning up cybers in the last fight. I was probably being stupid, but depending on other people's experiences you may want to add more cells to clean up the cybers.

Map30:

I don't understand some of the design choices here. I didn't finish the last fight. I don't understand how you're supposed to get that last shot off when you're smack dab in the middle of a cloud of enemies and there's an archvile blocking the way that zapped me every time.

On top of this, there are enemy spawn points placed at the same place as all of the supercharges. I kept getting telefragged when I went in for health. The preliminal AVs on the outskirts are also really annoying to get rid of. You can't really ride the lift up to them, cause they'll blast you off before you can kill them, and in order to kill them on the ground floor, you have to back up to be at the right angle, but this kept causing me to get telefragged, again.

I can see the reason for the fast lifts, but the faster lifts got me killed more than anything. I kept pressing them and running away as to not get hit while they were lowering, but they kept raising up before I got back. You have to stay relatively close to the lift in order to catch it in time, which kept getting me hit by projectiles.

Edited by Arbys550

Ah, I have just realized that you have incorporated Jimmy's excellent Plutonia MIDI tracks. Good choice!

Been playing on HMP and pistolstarting up to map 10 and not a bad map in sight. Loving the boom compat with Plutonia feel and aesthetics, everyone has nailed it so far. One little visual glitch I found playing in prboom+ um on map 9,

Spoiler

The waterfall secret is bleeding through the floor.

doom00.png.fc5df497afc24d4fe5b0b1f7fa97857b.png

Nice work indeed, some of these maps were surprisingly challenging despite relaively low monster numbers. I played the RC2 release on UV in GZdoom 4.7.1 and I noticed some more problems:

MAP03: several sectors shouldn't be secret. Misaligned textures in closet sectors 79 and 81. The unmarked BFG secret is supposed to be reachable or not? And how? Archvile jump?

MAP18: there is no visual cue to find secret switch linedef 6503. It's a rather hard to run onto sector 719 from sector 246.

MAP25: 4 revenants on pillar sectors 210 etc. are stuck. About 20 monsters in sector 73 never became active and thus 100% kills is impossible.

MAP26: it's impossible to activate the RL secret because you can't shoot through linedef 427 in Gzdoom. Curiously, it seems the bullets pass when you shoot to the ground, but not when you aim at the switch.

MAP29: not a bug, but it took me about 5 minutes to find the exit. Maybe you could add the obligatory EXIT sign near it?

MAP31: there are too few radsuits. They're fine when the player already knows where to go, but not for first time exploration. The map is big and some important switches are rather hard to find.

MAP32: not enough radsuits in the final arena if the player aims for 100% kills.

And when GZdoom starts, it reports a lot of dehacked syntax errors (unknown chunks).

3 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

MAP26: it's impossible to activate the RL secret because you can't shoot through linedef 427 in Gzdoom. Curiously, it seems the bullets pass when you shoot to the ground, but not when you aim at the switch.

I'm aware of this but decided to update the map no more as that isn't a problem with ports that properly emulate Boom.

Plus, it actually still is possible to get that secret. It's convoluted, but:

Spoiler

Archvile jump from the start, raise the revenants and thus the stairs in the starting area, activate the switch you normally press at the start to open the door, step on the button that reveals the shootable switch, run to that switch and shoot if from below with the SSG.

The reason why you'd raise the ground stairs first is because whenever you cross the line to raise them the door at the start closes, and you get only one use of the switch to open it.

3 hours ago, Xyzzy01 said:

I'm aware of this but decided to update the map no more as that isn't a problem with ports that properly emulate Boom.

I have some good news, no need to change the map. It's just a compatibility flag that needs to be set, in GZDoom it's called "self referencing sectors don't block shots". Setting this to on/yes, the secret worked perfectly.

My recommendation would be to force this on in the wad's MAPINFO, just add compat_trace in MAP26's definition:

Spoiler

map MAP26 "Golgotha"
titlepatch CWILV25
next MAP27
secretnext MAP27
sky1 SKY3 0
cluster 8
music D_MESSG2

compat_trace

By the way I ran into this problem in Eternity too, but I don't know what the compat option there is called.

EDIT: I did also notice a weird dump in the console when GZDoom loads the DEHACKED:

Spoiler

Adding dehacked patch PRCP2-RC2.zip:prcp2-rc2.wad:DEHACKED
Unknown chunk ext encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk Even encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk not encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk prototype encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk efficiently encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk You're encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk felt encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk wiping encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk while encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk come encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk predictably encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk colour. encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk Perfect encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk More encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk xt encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk The encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk all encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk collapses, encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk sucks encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk prototype encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk few encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk has encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk instead encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk tell encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk launcher encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk when encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk final encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk the encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk shattered encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk you encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk faceless encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk of encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk identified. encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk all encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk you encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk We encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk cha encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk level encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk No encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk secret encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk mining encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk materials encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk mysteries encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk the encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk What's encountered. Skipping.
Unknown chunk old encountered. Skipping.
Patch installed

Edited by brick

On 3/19/2022 at 11:32 PM, Xyzzy01 said:

Plus, it actually still is possible to get that secret. It's convoluted, but:

Reveal hidden contents

Archvile jump from the start, raise the revenants and thus the stairs in the starting area, activate the switch you normally press at the start to open the door, step on the button that reveals the shootable switch, run to that switch and shoot if from below with the SSG.

The reason why you'd raise the ground stairs first is because whenever you cross the line to raise them the door at the start closes, and you get only one use of the switch to open it.

Eh, it would be much easier to make door sector 30 re-openable, I doubt it would affect the gameplay much. But @brick solution would be best.

We finally went through the whole wad on TNS so here are a few more issues we encountered:

MAP12:
    - raised sector 485 can't be bypassed from the outside so the map can get softlocked in multiplayer
MAP20:
    - possible to get stuck in sector 955 behind the tree there
    - possible to get stuck near the plasma gun (thing 273) because of the crusher
    - HOM on line 6052 if software rendering is used
MAP31:
    - seems like at least in multiplayer it's possible to access the south area from the east side before accessing it from the west but since the tag 40 linedefs to raise the sectors are there only from the west it's possible to fall into the unraised sectors and get stuck

Some small suggestions for changes (nothing critical)

- The 'Plutonia' black teleporter boxes are inconsistent throughout the game.

They vary in height and brightness levels. IMO they should be made consistent. It's these small things that make a project look more professional.

Map 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12 exit, 13, 16, 28 and 26.

The rhomb center of the black-box should be set as pulsing light in: 15, 17, 19, 22 and 23.

In map 12, 20, 21 and 25 there is no black box as start and/or exit at all.

In can understand this for the exit of 20, but the transition to a standard teleporter exit at the start of map 21 makes no sense. 

* The green names of the mappers are sometimes hard to read on the intermission background. 

* In the end text screen there is a " ' " missing. It reads: "We hope you ve had fun". It should be: "you've".

Overall: Great job everyone!

Random compliments:

* The "Piranha" sign in Map04 was cool :-).

* Good music!

* I appreciated the water lilies in map 07.

* The opening teleportation effect in Map 23 was very cool.

These maps are still missing coop starts: 12, 15, 25, 31.

Please add them so that it's not outright impossible to record coop demos for the maps (and episode and D2ALL runs).

I was playing on Zandronum 3.0 when I toggled the default status bar and this happened:

Screenshot_Doom_20220406_131934.png.f9bf3ffaf3bf41bb0c48f2ca6e2ec0ba.png

I am playing Doom in the 1280x960 (4:3 aspect ratio) resolution using windowed mode.

Edited by Scorpius