Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

I don't even know if all slots are occupied, as the Discord is kind-of dead ATM, and the speadsheet shows at least two slots open both for map08 and map10, but I have another submission I've recently finished:

MAP10 - Natural Selection - V1
Download Link

image.png.3a6b299db62ceb3a18b114d47b9b4728.pngimage.png.4187004ca5b04bf0130f65b576aad245.png

Music: Plutonia 2 - MAP14

Excellent job from everyone! I especially love the start to MAP23, really neat MattFright

I'll get in 2031's Plutonia Revisited III for sure! :-)

I'm so sad that I wasn't able to get around for my map32. Hopefully if Plutonia 3 is still happening and if I get around to making maps again I'll be sure to work on it. Hopefully I can try to make a better map than my first one.

4 hours ago, Lingyan203 said:

I'm so sad that I wasn't able to get around for my map32. Hopefully if Plutonia 3 is still happening and if I get around to making maps again I'll be sure to work on it. Hopefully I can try to make a better map than my first one.

You and @Nefelibeta could always release what you've done. I'm sure it wasn't anything too terrible, y'know, as long as it doesn't seem like you hate the player.

1 hour ago, LadyMistDragon said:

You and @Nefelibeta could always release what you've done. I'm sure it wasn't anything too terrible, y'know, as long as it doesn't seem like you hate the player.

Welp, at lease I got one more spare map for my megawad right now. (or 2 more)

2 hours ago, Nefelibeta said:

Welp, at lease I got one more spare map for my megawad right now. (or 2 more)

You're making a megawad??

8 minutes ago, LadyMistDragon said:

You're making a megawad??

can you guys please continue this discussion via discord or PMs? Not a great idea to bump threads like this.

Maps 1-3:

1:

- Solid Opener, quite easy and linear, but a fun ride.

- Last setpiece with Arch was my favorite.

- Progression to reach the RK Door was a bit confusing. I didn't get why the bars were blocking the access to the BK Door in the cave.

2:

- Very different and detailed map, it feels harder than it actually is.

- Has a strong sense of identity, which is a great plus.

- It took me a while to realize that I can either open or lower the key bars by just pressing use against them. This will make things get a bit confusing for some people.

3:

- Nice hot start that doesn't go crazy.

- Really cool setpiece with the chaingunners in the way to the exit area.

- Only found 1 secret out of 6 lol, although that one is really easy to find (I would prefer texture misalignment instead of a different one, but this also works)

So far 3 really solid and fun maps that don't go too crazy.

I know that the music is not all set, but will this have IWAD MIDIs?

Edited by Deadwing

4:

- Fantastic map, with more focus on exploration instead of action-elements. It's a very contemplative map.

- Due to that, navigating through it will prove definitely a challenge for many players, as I had to use automap a few times and got into the wrong way lmao I liked it, though.

- It's quite easy action-wise, with forgiving setpieces, which is also not a problem for me either.

5:

- Another great map! This one reminds me a lot of Gusta's maps from Plutonia 2: Fairly large, very intricate layout, with curves, height differences and a strong sense of non linearity.

- Hardest so far of the batch, RK fight was tough but really well done. The last fight was also great, altough I think this is already the 3th or 4th final fight with an Archville haha

- It can also be a quite challenging map to navigate through, which will annoy some players, but I enjoy a lot this approach.

6:

- Nice departure from the previous map, this one being more action oriented and straighfoward. Difficult is also higher than maps 1-4.

- Archville setpiece was really cool, and while I enjoyed the final big battle, it was way too easy to ignore it. One softlock would be really helpful to encourage the players to face the enemies at least initially.

- I didn't record the first time I've played the map >.< So here's a SDA with me playing a lot more slooppy than I wanted

7:

- Another nice map, reminding me initially of plutonia 2 because of all the turrets hitscanners around lol

- It's more difficult initially due to the player having not much resources, but I also got myself struggling with ammo in the end.

- I've found some small bugs such as misaligned textures and a waterfall that dove into the water lol

- It took me way too long to find that switch that was actually in the middle of the big room, which hindered my enjoyment. I would suggest to add some health bottles or candles close to it, so other player don't do the same mistake as I >.<

8:

- Another hotstart, but once you know where to go it becomes easier

- First 2 Archvilles setpieces! :D Also loved the others setpiece in this map

- It could have a little more detailing regarding some very peripheric walls in the central area

9:

- 300 enemies, that's a quite big number! It's a great map mostly composed of incidental fights, surprisingly. It's not very plutonish, but it's good regardless.

- Took me way too long to find the yellow key, not sure what I did wrong or why I didn't spot the correct progression "path".

- It's a very non linear map and because of that you can miss easily some crucial weapons. As for myself I was getting too many rocket ammo until I realised I should go back and try to find it.

10:

- This one feels like a breathing map compared with the previous one. It has a tough start, though, but it becomes easier as you get equipment and health.

- It felt a lot playing the original Plutonia, not going too crazy with the setpieces.

- Nice finale with the cyberdemon, with the cool towers with midtextures + chaingunners and releasing the revs to help a bit with in-fighting.

11:

- Holy hell! That map was huge! It's a level that don't go too crazy with monster placement, but in other hand it exhales atmosphere.

- Not sure if this is going to be the MIDI for it, but it fitted really well the mod of the level.

- It's a bit too long for my tastes, but it's far from bad, some really nice vistas and battles.

- Players might get confused to get to the upper level of the library section in the beggining. That skull switch is quite hidden. I also took a while to find the yellow door, but that's on me because I thought I got the RK and not YK lmao

I think my map is ready for some testing. The monster count is closer to 250, sadly.
The map takes around 15 mins to beat, 10 if you're fast. I tried to strike a good balance between "sophisticated incidental combat" and memorable set-pieces.

Map title: Calamity Valley
Map slot: 20
Music used: "Catastrophe Zone" by Psychedelic Eyeball

Screenies:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211202_190941.jpg.f14100778b15c41272b67a3cec941321.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20211202_183909.png.c0b92e960991643b299ed9f569de761a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211202_184607.jpg.662af2bfa8bb32458df3d144b20fd91a.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20211202_184058.jpg.f97ce8cfd3aea6636cd165b8f4b4257c.jpg

Link to the wad: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1c4FRhUnXmmZuJ-0R45myRGSZ0Dikg97G/view?usp=sharing

Edited by Yumheart

12:

- Hardest map so far for me, especially because I played really bad >.< The beginning is really tough even though there aren't many monsters around, but their placement is tricky enough, and if you miss the blue armor, things will be really difficult.

- It's non-linear but quite easy to find yourself, imo.

- The setpieces were difficult, but I enjoyed them all. Had to spare the HKs in the 3 archvilles setpieces because of lack of ammo lol

13:

- Nice map, with a really hot start, but it far from being as "bad" as it looks like. You can get most weapons and most enemies are turreted, meaning that you can take each one carefully.

- It's also very plutonish, especially by looking at the automap haha But texturing sometimes was very experimental, especially with the "The Chasm" nukage fall areas.

- Progression was good too, but I think it could have blue door signs also pointing to the central area.

14:

- Cool map, but it was so far the hardest for me to figure out where to go. It's very short, but on other hand there's a lot of symmetry or something like that. Adding some health potions or enemies leading to the unexplored area could help a bit regarding this >.<

- Visually it's stunning, loved all the height differences

- That final fight was really tough! Thankfully after the opening of the doors I was given the choice to run to the exit haha 

15:

- Another very frantic map, but I really enjoyed it.

- Loved the texturing in this one, I think it's the first >"industrial" map of the set, with hellish elements as expected.

- Final setpiece was really fun to deal and not too hard thanks to the megasphere

- I'll try to record this level again as windows didn't do it >.<

31:

- Holy Hell! That level was huge! Really beautiful architecturally too, something that I would never be able to pull myself with same level of quality

- It's surprisingly low key even if it has more than 300 enemies. Still, it is challeging enough with thoughtful setpieces.

- It's most challenging element, however, is the exploration, and a good portion of the players will probably have their brains melting away to find all the 3 keys. I think lots of switches and "key" doors/passages could have easier way to identify where you need to go, because I got myself lost several times, which made things harder as there's a lot of pain sectors areas and I drained out of radiosuits.

Map 15 sda, it was actually a lot worse than the first try with a lot more deaths >.<

The beginning is really tough

This time the secret exit wasn't open idk why

32:

- Another fantastic map, with really beautiful texturing and landscapes. It also flows really well and it is easy to find where I need to go.

- It's the toughest map from the set so far, also way above my skill level, so I'm pretty sure my demo won't be much help >.<

- It's not a map for those that are sensitive to Archvilles lol. I really liked it, though.

16:

- Nice breather map, after either the frantic map 15 or 32 :D Even though, I died a lot to get that Rocket Launchar lmao

- But after that things got a lot smoother, it also helped that I was able to get 2 secrets.

- This MIDI could loop better here, IMO. There are a few seconds of silence before the songs start again (loudly) which were distracting.

17:

- Nice level, with some really cool fight setups. I'm not a big fan of the central circular room, but the BK setpiece worked well with the hitscanners preventing you to circle-strafe just like the initial battle.

- This level lacks some polishing, IMO. There are several floors textures that aren't matching with their adjacent textures, usually these that are lowered by a switch (or doors).

- Final fight is very skippable, but I don't mind it being optional. The secret with megasphere + invulnerability is way too generous, IMO.

- Here's an sda (at least until BK, where I realized I wasn't recording the level until then >.<):

18:

- That level was gorgerous! I really loved everything about it, from the Bloodborne-y atmosphere to the gameplay. Really nice MIDI that sets well the mood too.

- Until the final epic battle, it's probably one of the easiest maps from the set, but I think it works great and all the setups are well done.

- I got luck in my last attempt in the final setpieces. Thankfully the revenants joined me and decided to stunlock the cyberdemon in a corner, which made my job a lot more easier than it should have been haha

19:

- Another nice level. This one is more abstract than the previous one, which is not bad, it feels very IWADish.

- The fights were pretty good and the health was abudant, even though I was still starving after cleaning up the first section lol

- Nice MIDI that fits well of mood of the map

21:

- That was also nice. Another level with very tight ammo management, even though it wasn't a very hard one.

- Very cool theme, with all the dark textures + lava and cracks. Loved when I pressed a switch and a huge wall opened up.

- Progression was surprising easy for a 3 key hunt map. Also, I didn't miss the SS one second.

https://youtu.be/AkbTIDOPM8k

22:

- Batshit crazy map lmao loved it. 

- It's something very out of the box, with a crazy trap leads you into another then you go into an intended path that leads you into another crazy stuff. Feel like playing classic Sonic in Doom haha

- It has mandatory acid fights which will turn many players off, but I liked it

https://youtu.be/ib8hDP5zYQQ

2 hours ago, Deadwing said:

22:

- Batshit crazy map lmao loved it. 

- It's something very out of the box, with a crazy trap leads you into another then you go into an intended path that leads you into another crazy stuff. Feel like playing classic Sonic in Doom haha

- It has mandatory acid fights which will turn many players off, but I liked it

https://youtu.be/ib8hDP5zYQQ

Thanks for playing, we appreciate the testing you're doing here - admittedly I felt a little evil making this map, I'm glad you found the RL 'tip-toe' arena and that you gained some measure of enjoyment from the map!

23:

- Gorgerous visuals in this map, very hellish with great landscapes.

- Gameplay was great too, especially the last battle. I was enjoying playing around with the enemies in the open field until I got killed stupidly by one of the cyberdemons >.<

- There were a lot of small glitches (slime trails, unclosed sectors, etc) which might need some fix. They were mainly in BFG area and the central arena.

24:

- I wasn't a big of this one. It felt like these big TNT maps which I didn't enjoy much too.

- My main issue is that the map is way too large, and it felt like a mishmap of different themes. I ended losing patience for the big battles at end, but then they started coming and didn't stop lmao (I think there is 3 or 4 finales)

- It plays well, though and it's a fairly easy map (nothing wrong, though). I didn't have much trouble finding myself either, which was good given the size of the map

Edited by Deadwing

25:

- Nice map, it's quite the opposite of previous one, being really short and punchy.

- Progression can be really tricky though, and that Baron will scare a lot of people haha On other hand, map is small enough, so figuring out where to go wasn't much hard.

- Tight ammo management, no way I would be able to handle the cyber finale.

- Some revenant that popped-up in the skulls pillar weren't attacking at all, a bug maybe?

26:

- Another great punchy small map, this time even smaller but harder than the previous ones.

- Very interesting setups that gives the player good opportunities to use in-fighting. I like how the molds into the setups, adding steps, opening and closing passages.

- I liked the textures in the floors at same height. It's stylistic different and definitely on purpose here.

27:

- Back to the more "epic" maps. Holy shit, this is a really detailed map! Loved all the architecture and all the little elements everywhere, gorgerous landscapes!

- Gameplay wise it was awesome too, although I felt the map started streching a bit too much on later sections. The battle against the 2 cybers in the meat area was awesome, but the one to get the rk felt like a bit too much padding, unlike the awesome 4 arch-ville battle that came before.

- It's not really a long map, but it's really dense and progress is slow. Nothing wrong with that, though!

https://youtu.be/zrfDjO6sgoo

28:
- This one I didn't like much. It was probably too difficult for me, but I felt that I was starving for health all the time and I didn't enjoy using plasma constantly, especially to kill higher tier enemies somewhat far away slowly from chokepoints. 
- After the super frantic start, progress into further sections went really slow, and I never felt killing the Cybers in the initial area in the hope of getting a BFG that never came. With a BFG feels like this map would have been a lot more fun, given the number of cells, but it's probably on a secret that I wasn't been able to find.
- It's definitely due to my lack of skill, but having to fight the last setpiece with 60% of health + 3 or 4 medkits avaliable was way too punishing for me.
- Visually I also felt that this was a bit messy, with lots of different textures being used (wood, marble, flesh, metal, vines, techbase) without much harmony. This is definitely personal taste, though. (and my maps aren't really any beautiful too)

- Very fun map! Also very remarkable visually with the inverted pymarid in the central area.

- Progression was also quite interesting with some intricate setpieces, sometimes very hard (plasma setpiece) or very manegeable (central area setpiece). The final setpiece in the lava was unexpected but really fun too.

- On other hand, I've found myself falling down into the lava pool quite frequently >.< Sometimes felt that the best way to escape some traps was diving into the lava haha

20:
- Another fun ride! It wasn't too difficult for me and the setpieces were trick but rewarding.
- The crusher setpiece is interesting and works well. It is a bit clunky though, it was really weird having yourself get killed when you hide in the closets, but I can see why it was made that way.
- The final setpiece was great and I finally stopped dying all the time when I gave up on trying to brute-force to kill the arch-villes early.
- Gorgerous outdoor architecture! I was able to go out of bounds once though! haha

Some final thoughts...

I enjoyed a lot the whole wad! A lot of maps aren't very plutonish, but I don't think this is a problem at all, considering they all play great (even the ones that I didn't like much). I also see this more of a tribute plus/or a personal interpretation of what a plutonia map should be, which gave a lot of space for really beautiful and great levels, while others emulated really well the styles of the original (or sometimes pl2 too!). Also, the addition of new textures (which are going to be used on pl3) gaves Plutonia Revisited 2 a nice identity, keeping it different from other plutonia-based projects.

The map order also felt nicely balanced, and I'm glad a good amount of the maps were actually quite short, as it is a format I prefer. It also gave more space for the long maps to breathe, so going through the whole wad was a smoother experiece. With all the MIDIs defined and set, I think any fan of both plutonia 1 and 2 will enjoy a lot Plutonia Revisited 2.

Top 10 maps I enjoyed the most: 18, 5, 32, 4, 29, 20, 22, 23, 21, 31

Unfortunately my lack of skill will probably make more difficult to extract good feedback from some of the harder maps, but I enjoyed going through all of them! Hopefully my playthrough will be somewhat useful >.<

39 minutes ago, Deadwing said:

20:

- Another fun ride! It wasn't too difficult for me and the setpieces were trick but rewarding.
- The crusher setpiece is interesting and works well. It is a bit clunky though, it was really weird having yourself get killed when you hide in the closets, but I can see why it was made that way.
- The final setpiece was great and I finally stopped dying all the time when I gave up on trying to brute-force to kill the arch-villes early.
- Gorgerous outdoor architecture! I was able to go out of bounds once though! haha

Thank you for all the postive feedback! I wonder why the music for map20 didn't work though? Named the file correctly, didn't really do anything different from how I usually do it...

1 minute ago, Yumheart said:

Thank you for all the postive feedback! I wonder why the music for map20 didn't work though? Named the file correctly, didn't really do anything different from how I usually do it...

I think I probably loaded the files in the wrong order or something like that, my mistake >.<

oh wonderful is v0.9 last working version by now? are you working on bugfixing or may I start playing and eventually demorecording already? :)

since its plutonia iwad. + prcp2.wad, which cl would suit best, 4, 9, or?