Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Joshy

Plutonia Revisited: Community Project 2 (Boom-compatible)- Final Version Released! **IDGAMES LINK UP**

Nice! Why don't you make a discord server specifically for this project ? I think it would be much more easier to coordinate this if everyone could communicate with each other easily. Just a thought though...

I'm very interested in this project but I don't think I'm good enough of a mapper to contribute to this.

If you need any playtesters, hit me up! I'd love to sign up. Been playtesting a lot of wads for the community and this one has the potential to be something grand.

image.png.ca31dabd776b55febffd80b6858b6152.pngimage.png.fb5b90a107f6ff93a38351f7d3fe0c5d.png

I have this made, this was made as a FDTWID submission, but I quickly realized and was pointed out this was more of an homage, yes indeed it feels too much like one, but I think it serves well in here anyways, you guys tell me.
I tried to add a little bit of a new touch with some texture changes and some minor details, but the important thing is how it plays, so I'll finish detailing this later. It's a pretty simple map, it's based on Milo maps, so you get the idea. It is in Boom format but I'm pretty sure nothing can stand out for it not to be played Vanilla I guess.

Download link

I may not be the biggest fan of Plutonia, but I am interested in contributing to this. Gives me a nice excuse to make a map I personally can't beat on my first go. :D

I'll see to it that I have a map submitted by the end of the month.

By the way, the first PRCP had "Difficulty Settings: Yes", so it's better to also indicate whether the participants need to finish the rest of the difficulty levels or not.

Edit: also same on COOP and DM settings...

Edited by riderr3

1 hour ago, riderr3 said:

By the way, the first PRCP had "Difficulty Settings: Yes", so it's better to also indicate whether the participants need to finish the rest of the difficulty levels or not.

Well, I plan to implement difficulty settings, so that's not going to be a problem. However, do maps need to be deathmatch compatible?

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d4u84jt5x9gyfpp/dethtrap.wad/file

I decided to change the name to Deth Trap, because that sounds cool.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

xkjlVbA.png

Cqu6eq1.png

OE7OiWm.png

I just added some new areas to make it a little less boring, like a mancubus/platforming area and stairs, although I could add more if I need to, maybe I'll remove the Yellow Key fight entirely because it's boring, and add some sort of huge complex of hitscanners where every step opens a trap, that would be cool as hell.

A few updates-

• I've started up a discord server for this project. Any disrespectful behaviour will not be tolerated and I will kick you out. Here's the link: https://discord.gg/JU43JXHXcg
  • Difficulty settings is required.

• Co-op settings required also.

• No DM settings needed.

• You don't have to use Boom features, make whatever you want within the freedom of Boom compatibility!

8 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

I have this made, this was made as a FDTWID submission, but I quickly realized and was pointed out this was more of an homage, yes indeed it feels too much like one, but I think it serves well in here anyways, you guys tell me.
I tried to add a little bit of a new touch with some texture changes and some minor details, but the important thing is how it plays, so I'll finish detailing this later. It's a pretty simple map, it's based on Milo maps, so you get the idea. It is in Boom format but I'm pretty sure nothing can stand out for it not to be played Vanilla I guess.

Yes this map definitely feels too homagey. A little hint or a twist on an idea is fine but this is basically a rearrangement of NME and the Omen. Have another go at making something homage-free if you like!

3 hours ago, AtticTelephone said:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/d4u84jt5x9gyfpp/dethtrap.wad/file

I decided to change the name to Deth Trap, because that sounds cool.

I just added some new areas to make it a little less boring, like a mancubus/platforming area and stairs, although I could add more if I need to, maybe I'll remove the Yellow Key fight entirely because it's boring, and add some sort of huge complex of hitscanners where every step opens a trap, that would be cool as hell.

I'd suggest you to start a new map from scratch and take your time building on it. People who do well with speedmapping like Jimmy have had a lot of practice creating strong layouts to start with, it's always the main starting point. Focus on making an interesting layout as that is the important foundation of a good map. Let me show you the layout difference between your map and the first maps of Plutonia 1/2 and PRCP:

Spoiler

2021-02-08.png.a2d8cd8e8f57c52a5326339db62db6f4.png

The above photo looks like rooms attached to another room via doors or thin hallways; the rooms plays and feels separate from each other.

The below photos look like actual areas with interesting interconnections. When the layout is interesting and has healthy interconnections, the gameplay also becomes interesting. Limited layout equals limited gameplay.

790px-Plutonia_MAP01_map.png597px-Plutonia_RCP_MAP01_map.png

800px-PL2_MAP01_map.png

Definitely will make a map for this and this time it will be a real fan made spiritual successor instead of some remake/homage of Map 17 which I made a decade ago.   

I'm not a big fan of Plutonia, I haven't completed it, I'm more of a TNT guy, but I will make something that fits Plutonia.

Here is my entry for this project.

Map name: Arachnocore (Map31)

Boom compatible (Doom Settings only)

Tested only in Gzdoom

Coop: ok

Difficult settings: yes

Although the map layout is symmetrical the gameplay is frenetic making the player have to memorize some things to be successful in finalizing it, you will not need to worry about keys here, but there is something to be done (puzzle) to complete the map... Due to these characteristics this map fits perfectly into the map slot 31.

map31.jpg.7bb57731049020cd8d621f3f2e3139c4.jpg

arachnocore_map31.rar

Edited by Doomlust : another new minor fix...

So this where my role as a tester starts yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

At start there are 3 bugs

1 there is wrong a texture

LQlNpvm.png

2 If you fall here you cant go up and there's no way to end the level

VxtedVX.png

3. And there are weird lights

rfttNPN.png

Level  need more rooms and maybe health (optional) and i think the crushing rooms are redundant

I think if you make are bigger and with much more detail this map become much better :D

dethtrap.wad: (played three times)

Yeah, can tell that the layout overall is very linear and not as Plutonia like. You could salvage it though by making some decent side areas I'd say (and to make it less linear by adding a few interconnecting areas). Combat right now is quite sluggish (having to SSG mancubi across the gap, plus the revenants in the long corridor) and there should also be an ambush at the blue key. Red and yellow key areas were small and way too simple. A few more tidbits:

-the two shotgun guys after the first Hell knight don't seem to wake up while fighting the Hell knight.

-Those pillars in the mancubi area should definitely have shells instead of clips.

-hitscanner trap after mancubi is much less dangerous compared to mancubi. Same with the one in the hall with the revenants.

-waterfalls honestly should be pass thru.

-placement of baron of hell is actually decent since it's in a good position to be resurrected by archies at red key.

-revenants in YK area don't seem to wake up after firing a shot (?)

-final trap after collecting YK is very easy, also the way the knights teleport can be problematic (missed two on UV) and you want to make sure all of them get in. The usage of a barrel to push them into the playing field is interesting but not well-executed.

-can definitely add a secret or two for more fun

FOEprcp2.wad (MAP16 by the way, played three times)

Definitely has the NES feel to it at first, but goes to the other Milo level designs (The Omen, Abbatoire) later on. Cyber was startling but not difficult to actually manage since the chaingunners can easily infight with it while you run for BFG. Don't have much to say on design it works out well. Two things I'd work on are the teleporter closets (some of the demons have trouble teleporting in) and the last bridge to the exit (it's a WR instead of an SR).

Also I'm not able to download Arachnocore for some reason.

arachnocore_map31.rar

51 minutes ago, waciej said:

So this where my role as a tester starts yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

At start there are 3 bugs

1 there is wrong a texture

LQlNpvm.png

2 If you fall here you cant go up and there's no way to end the level

VxtedVX.png

3. And there are weird lights

rfttNPN.png

Level  need more rooms and maybe health (optional) and i think the crushing rooms are redundant

I think if you make are bigger and with much more detail this map become much better :D

I did exactly everything you suggested and I can say that this is a polished version... About the lights are actually a hint of what has to be done ...

map31.jpg.c3c018d6f9a6574c9251b9cd43980b23.jpg

map31-2.jpg

Edited by Doomlust : added lift into the pit

arachnocore_map31.wad

Once I figured out what to do this was kinda fun. The goal is to get the BFG behind the start it seems, easily done without firing a shot once you know where it is, then basically go from there. A good strategy I found is to kill one spiderdemon at each of the four corners (you have to step on all eight platforms anyways, but removing one spiderdemon from each side alleviates going near them when going after other monsters there. Seconding the notion for more health too.

I think the biggest issue with this level is that it is strictly an arena level, which none of the Plutonia levels really are in a way (excepting the MAP07s maybe, but even those had areas that prevented it from being all an arena). This arena level looks like it could be the last part of another layout by any chance. Doesn't have to be big, but there's room for ideas to make a bit of a "preshow" here.

1 hour ago, NuMetalManiak said:

arachnocore_map31.wad

Once I figured out what to do this was kinda fun. The goal is to get the BFG behind the start it seems, easily done without firing a shot once you know where it is, then basically go from there. A good strategy I found is to kill one spiderdemon at each of the four corners (you have to step on all eight platforms anyways, but removing one spiderdemon from each side alleviates going near them when going after other monsters there. Seconding the notion for more health too.

Yes, if you rush to BFG it can make things a lot easier. On this map the best thing you can have is the Blue Armor, if you find it your life will be much easier.

I think the biggest issue with this level is that it is strictly an arena level, which none of the Plutonia levels really are in a way (excepting the MAP07s maybe, but even those had areas that prevented it from being all an arena). This arena level looks like it could be the last part of another layout by any chance. Doesn't have to be big, but there's room for ideas to make a bit of a "preshow" here.

I understand your point here about being different from the usual style of the other "map31" from all others Plutonia wads. Maybe a introductory part can be made where you can collect the other weapons and in the second part you would just look for Plasma and BFG. At the moment I am out of ideas for a possible first stage (if necessary). Any volunteers for this task?

I really think this project would be a lot better on vanilla compatiblity instead of Boom.  

19 minutes ago, Roofi said:

I really think this project would be a lot better on vanilla compatiblity instead of Boom.  

Perhaps, but it's unfair to switch compats when people have already started working on their maps for the project.

6 hours ago, Roofi said:

Why?

My first submission for a community project!

It's a map called "escape from Casali's castle". It's pretty short, but gets a little bit slaughter-ish towards the end.

Hopefully it will be fun!

Track used: Evil Incarcerated remixed by James Paddock

escapef.rar

On 2/8/2021 at 3:41 AM, Philnemba said:

Definitely will make a map for this and this time it will be a real fan made spiritual successor instead of some remake/homage of Map 17 which I made a decade ago.   

I'm here for it. Snubbing your map was a hard team decision, so I wanna see that redemption arc!

7 hours ago, Roofi said:

Agreed

8 hours ago, Roofi said:

I'm aware some people have had the same misgivings for PL3. This project is boom because there will be reject PL3 maps included in this project and they are far from vanilla compatible (note: they're bigggggg). Initially the reason for PL3 going Boom is that there are plenty of released vanilla Plutonia projects and FDTWID is already being worked on. So for a new modern Plutonia project, it makes sense to come up with something new to diverge from what's been done numerous times already. Why not imagine the possibilities and potential of Plutonic maps without vanilla limitations?

1 hour ago, Nefelibeta said:

My first submission for a community project!

It's a map called "escape from Casali's castle". It's pretty short, but gets a little bit slaughter-ish towards the end.

Hopefully it will be fun!

Track used: Evil Incarcerated remixed by James Paddock

escapef.rar

1) The starting location is too cramped and again busting with arch-vile - there is nowhere to hide and I spent several attempts to catch the chance that the arch-vile will get a pain state (this also applies to the location with arch-vile and the mega sphere). Here, not only pistol-starters will be uncomfortable, but everyone else.

2) You forgot to indicate the need for three keys for a triple-keyed switch. I could pass ahead of time. (and again three keys for reaching the final location, people are you in agreement or what?)

3) Quite a lot of opponents for the Plutonia style map. In some locations, they are essentially superfluous and exist only to block the path. In the final location, the cyberdemon was simply squeezed and destroyed by the rest of the crowd, also cacodemons are zero-heighted me from the cliffs.

4) I have no special complaints about the visual part, except that it was possible to introduce more asymmetry to the locations.

5) I did not played further than the location with the megasphere and arch-vile (after library), because the design of such a map was quite predictable for me.