Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Recording Doom videos for the YouTube: FPS and format recommendations?

I guess I've been using bandicam when I played gzdoom and been recording at 30 frames per second but somebody told me I should do 60

What are you guys think

Also I've been making MP3 files should I be doing Avi

I don't really know what I'm doing

If your machine can handle 60 fps, and you have the upload speed for the extra time it will take, then I would say it is a noticeable difference that some will appreciate, but it’s not worth stressing over if you can’t get it to work. For reference, most of my GZDoom videos are about 2 minutes per GB. They are 1080p60 MP4s with 90 “quality.” My machine can handle 100, but I can’t handle those upload times.

I will say, though, that if I had to choose between 1080 at 30 and 720 at 60, I would go with the latter.

Do as much quality as your machine will allow and not piss you off, but understand that 720 at 30 fps with 70 or 80 “quality” ain’t so bad either. Basically, your level of headache will probably rise at a much higher rate than people’s appreciation for the marginally better quality. It’s classic Doom; it can be a little crappy.

As for MP[4] vs. avi, I have found the former to be better.

Thank you so much I will give this a try, think we chatted bout this before

So I was doing 720 x 30 will try this

Also I use bandicam and get green and red numbers at the top, goes up to 200 not sure what is this

actually I don';t know if I have an fps limit or what Im doing

image.png.70bcf8bf46f686572adbe0a1926c5433.png

The red number is the FPS you are currently getting. It doesn't actually record that many; it only records what you set it at. 

If it says "full size," it will use the resolution your computer is at. If your screen is 1920x1080, then there's no difference between that and "full size."

So yeah, try that and see if your machine can handle it without lagging and then see if you can tolerate the upload time for videos that are almost guaranteed > 10GB.

30 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

The red number is the FPS you are currently getting. It doesn't actually record that many; it only records what you set it at. 

If it says "full size," it will use the resolution your computer is at. If your screen is 1920x1080, then there's no difference between that and "full size."

So yeah, try that and see if your machine can handle it without lagging and then see if you can tolerate the upload time for videos that are almost guaranteed > 10GB.

Thanks, 7 min video, 25 min upload - 2 gigs or so

Does this look better or was it wrorth it?

EDIT WRONG VIDEO

Edited by Clippy

At first pass, video quality does appear to be better, as I looked at the difference between this and your Video of LVENdead's Aspect of Daedalus, among a few others.  I guess the real test would be on something with a lot of contrasting colors in small amounts all over the place.

However, it doesn't seem worth it for that kind of upload time, if waiting for it to upload prevents you from doing other things.

26 minutes ago, Kyukon said:

At first pass, video quality does appear to be better, as I looked at the difference between this and your Video of LVENdead's Aspect of Daedalus, among a few others.  I guess the real test would be on something with a lot of contrasting colors in small amounts all over the place.

However, it doesn't seem worth it for that kind of upload time, if waiting for it to upload prevents you from doing other things.

Thanks I will upload them overnight and see how long it takes also gong to check out your indiana jones map if I can

Yeah, the truth is I can only really tell when I view a 30 shortly before or after a 60.

This map has almost no detail and is only 7.5 minutes. When they start packing the detail and the monsters in, the minute to GB ratio of almost 4:1 will not hold. So, based on 25 minutes for 2 GB, well, you can do the math for 20-30 GB videos.

So again, totally up to you. My position is pretty obvious: I embrace the long uploads because I can almost always leave my PC overnight and I'm generally not in a huge hurry to get footage out there. But I certainly don't look down on the 720p30s of the world.

1 hour ago, HAK3180 said:

Yeah, the truth is I can only really tell when I view a 30 shortly before or after a 60.

This map has almost no detail and is only 7.5 minutes. When they start packing the detail and the monsters in, the minute to GB ratio of almost 4:1 will not hold. So, based on 25 minutes for 2 GB, well, you can do the math for 20-30 GB videos.

So again, totally up to you. My position is pretty obvious: I embrace the long uploads because I can almost always leave my PC overnight and I'm generally not in a huge hurry to get footage out there. But I certainly don't look down on the 720p30s of the world.

I played quite a few maps last night and let them upload overnight it seemed to work fine thanks buddy even I think the video looks better so I'll keep it

Remember that the output bitrate is also important if you wanna have a more smooth video on YT....basically, the more bitrate the video has, the bigger filesize it will become and it'll look better. Of course, the opposite happens as well if the video was rendered with a small bitrate.

I use Camtasia Studio to record. If you're using OpenGL Support, you can use Fraps to help. Camtasia is also a good editor and recorder to use as well.