Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aicidia

Generic Slaughter Map

If you get HOMs in first room then: Load map in doom builder 2, use ZDoom (doom in hexen format), use Doom II wad as resource, and use GZDoom for testing.

I suck at platforming so bad I don't know how ppl do it - could not past the platforming :/

2 minutes ago, Clippy said:

I suck at platforming so bad I don't know how ppl do it - could not past the platforming :/

Practice. Fast platforming is usually just hold W and win. If we're talking technical platforming than automap and alignments make life easy.

I played it, truthfully not much here to chew on, but more substantial than that boxing map where you didn't actually need to box at all lol

The platforming start felt annoying and unnecessary to me, but maybe because I loathe platforming with every fiber of my being. #boycottplatforming

Anyway, three random fights. Honestly the first fight was the most thrilling cause you threw a spider into the mix, but groups of one monster type aren't that fun. Fighting fat dudes and hell knights through tiny doors also not very thrilling. The only real challenge is making sure you don't waste ammo.

Keep mapping and trying to switch things up, mix up monsters in your combos and think of better arenas to duke it out with them in

Here is video :)

@Lucky_Edie looks like I got it, you just didn't see the 20 deaths I had before filming haha

Tiny rooms are the antithesis of Doom combat. Try to make your combat encounters more interesting, less cramped and encourage engagement rather than having the player cheese the demons from behind walls and corridors far to narrow for them to fit through.

4 hours ago, Clippy said:

The key to this type of platforming is instantaneously tapping the keys that bring your momentum to zero, the moment you land. If you are moving forward, you tap back, and raise your fingers off the keys. If you are straferunning forward and left, you tap back and right. Longer than a tap, and you might slip into an awkward calibration dance: back up almost fall, oops, move forward almost fall again, oops, again and again, sort of jankily oscillating to a hopeful stop with a lot that can go wrong.  

rd demonstrates the most consistent strategy for platforming, the idea of hitting the opposite direction to stop momentum is called counter strafing in other games.  Counter strafing with an sr40 is exceptionally tricky and requires practice to really get a feel for it as there's no other way to do it. 

For simple platforming like that in the video I recommend holding down W. In this particular case the map starts you in a position where you can sr40 straight onto the platforming without needing to turn, then hold strafe left as you're about to land on the first platform and slowly turn left to adjust angle.

Demonstration of my approach to taking the platforms fast. 

Demonstration of automap + mouse strafe to align for technical platforming. This is an sr50 that requires a decent setup, I'm lining up the edge of my arrow with the line of the platform and then looking exactly north and strafing east in order to put myself in the exact same position every time. The map is Frog_and_Toad.wad map10 

https://clips.twitch.tv/DelightfulHumbleGoblinSpicyBoy

Edited by Lucky_Edie

Took a few tries to do the platforming quickly.

The secret was easily found by looking at the automap, but if I hadn't done that, I'd have to wallhump everything to find it since there's no other indication of where it is. Not that I'd have a reason to search for it, since the stats say there are 0 secrets on the map. And the secret contains the weapons that allow this map to be played non-tediously; I'm not a fan of that. Pressing the invisible wall in front of the mancubi to release them was unnecessarily unintuitive as well.

As far as the combat itself, there isn't really much to say. It's really easy whether you cheese it or not (and judging by the responses above, it is quite susceptible to cheesing).

Generic slaughter

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

Deaths: 0

Saves: none

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174510.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174536.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174557.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174631.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174841.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210208-174846.png

A really short, but interesting map, quite challenging, and with some shortage of weapons and ammunition. This kind of maps are really to my liking, maximum that the fighting was not unfair as it usually happens in other kinds of maps with closed spaces, but here I had fun, you can really appreciate how simple but entertaining this Wad was from start to end, including the part of the platforms in the beginning. Very well done mate, this map has my approval.

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

My advice is to play more maps and see what kind of combat you enjoy then trying to make a map like so.

I don't think you enjoyed your own combat in this map.