Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomdude89

Noob made an level for Doom

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

After playing years of other people wads i decided to finally contribute aswell.

Updated!!!

Its Doom2

Use GZdoom

(My Very First Levels E1M1 & E1M2 now in Doom2)  :)

Name: (RA2.wad)
Map Format: (Doom2)
Ports Tested: (GZDoom)
IWAD: (Doom2)
Map(s): (M1 & M2)
Difficulty Settings: ultra violence
No jumping
Freelook permitted

Playtime:  Estimated 1 hour

Speedrun: Under 5 minutes

Enjoy!

ra2_2.2.rar

Edited by Doomdude89 : reasons

Nice levels, considering they're your first. And I mean it. Wolfenstein maps get called good a bit too often. However, I can tell it's made by a beginner. The texturing needs some work. I can tell there was a lot of effort put into it. The second map is massive.

The filesize is very bloated though. Did you add uncompressed wavs as music?

I like E1M2, it's big and has very nice ideas. The Cyber's did spook the hell out of me, to be honest. But, as already been said, it needs some work on the textures. At some points I encountered missing textures.

Missing textures? I used only vanilla textures. Ah you prob mean the ones when you enter outside and see the skybox, yea i still dont get it. 

Also did the custom music even play?

Edited by Doomdude89 : im stupid

Yes, the music plays.

No, the skyboxes could be look better, but that's not the problem here. I have made some screenshots of one location I could find easily now, and a screenshot from the editor. In the editor there is no missing texture, but part of the sector overlaps the other sector resulting this effect.

Screenshot_Doom_20210208_202103.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210208_202113.png

ra at 2021.02.08 20-24-32.578 [R3681].jpg

These maps are pretty good, fam. E1M1 is good fun and E1M2 is an awesome follow-up albeit a little excessive given its enemy count. Mind you, that mainly refers what I've come to know as The Pinky Fuckfest Room, which is just utterly ridiculous and as you saw with my playthrough, doing it the way you had intended was clearly not working out so I had to lure 'em out in packs and punch most of 'em to death once I ran out of ammo. That bit was pretty tedious and hurts the map a fair bit, especially since you need to traverse that room to progress. Anyways, despite that, these are really sold and I found your layouts, detailing and texture work to be especially outstanding, so well done on that front. There's plenty of room for improvement, but you've got a lot of potential. Well done :^) Be sure to add more detail when you're posting a WAD by the way like whether or not jumping/crouching is necessary for progression (I think I sequence broke the blue key room), what sourceports you've tested it on, compatibility settings, stuff of that nature. I recommend checking out the thread Loomis linked.

Great playtrough! Indeed many secrets unmapped (The problem is i dont get it how they work there is an room when you enter it pops several times saying secret allthough it should only say 1 time) in 38:00 you were supposed to go back there to get the red key in the red room. Thus you backtracked and had an plasma rifle in the pinky room which wasnt intended at all it was quite suprising really i need to fix some walls and prob i wont let you out from the red room untill you get the red key :D You are supposed to get the blue key after the red key ^^" but well played.

Edited by Doomdude89

Played through all of E1M1 and about half of E1M2

I enjoyed what I played! For your first maps these are actually quite good. It was a nice change to play a Doom 1 WAD. The texturing could definitely use some work. There was some areas where I either spotted missing textures or some very misaligned textures. It would also be handy to mark your secrets.

The reason I didn't complete E1M2 was that it was extremely easy to get lost. I found myself running in circles not being able to find anyway to progress.

Are you supposed to be able to jump? I found myself able to get into an area that was just skybox and skip a huge section of the map. I don't know if that was intended or not.

No jump, where did you get lost? The blue room? The door there wont open unless you walk trough that highlighted spot on the blue floor. 

I think i should change it to some switch i guess people will simply start backtracking and end up stuck.

I had explored all the areas I could with the yellow key and couldn't find red or blue. I just kept ending up back in the same rooms I'd already visited.

4 hours ago, Doomdude89 said:

it pops several times saying secret allthough it should only say 1 time

not sure if this is exactly the problem, but every sector tagged as a secret will count as its own secret, so make sure that you only tag one sector per secret

you can actually see this mistake in Ultimate Doom E4M3, one of the secrets is worth like 18 secrets because the entire staircase leading up to it is tagged

First level was easy, second level was easy THEN HARD.  Biggest gripe I have is that the second level just drags on and on and on and on.  And a lot of times we're just going into a room to throw a switch to open a door to another room.  And a lot of times I don't even know which room it is.

Cut out a bunch of that stuff and fix misaligned textures and you're gravy. Groovy, even.

-Kevin

Wow... I have no words. Normally I start with the positives so the person feels good about it before I talk about the negatives, but I'll start with the negatives because there's only a few of those.

- Map 2 was dragged out a little and had a somewhat confusing layout. I was lost for a while and couldn't finish it because I had to eat supper.

- Both maps had a few texture bugs.

Now the positives... Boy, there are positives! Really good music is the first thing I noticed, as a musician and someone who listens to a lot of music and OST in general. I'm sure you didn't compose it yourself(If you did, I am flabbergasted), but the choice to include those tracks, specifically Map 2's, put me in the zone while playing.

You give out plenty of ammo and health pick-ups, which is great for the casual players like me!

The monsters were well placed and well used, with each encounter being dealt with by using the appropriate weapons. I liked to save chaingun ammo for cacos, shotgun ammo for zombiemen and imps, and the rockets for lost souls and barons. It was great!

The mapset was really detailed! Loved that you included corpses, beds, sofas, monitors... It was beautiful!

Overall a really enjoyable experience. If you made an E1 replacer, I'd play it.

It's been a month since the release, but that's how long a professional procrastinator like me takes.

Also I didn't want to waste the two hours of footage.

Spoiler

Spoiler

The 2 maps are so incredibly different...

It's been almost a month since I played them, yet I still remember a lot about them

Your aproach to architecture is weird, but interesting. It's more on the surreal/liminal side of things.

The balancing was fine, I'd say.

You have a couple of issues here and there. Small problems, like missing textures and misbehaving elevators. But by this time you've probably fixed most of them. Maybe next time though, think twice about using copyrighted music.

My main issue is ... Why is the second level so freacking long??? I played it on a single sitting at night, and if you watch the videos you can just see my IQ slowly fading as the sleepiness seeps in...

It feels like youve been working on the second level for a very long time, and whenever you had a new idea, you just crammed it into the second level.

That can be fine, to have a big and varied level, but this one didn't really have that much cohesion to tie it all together. Instead, you could've split it into 9, maybe more, shorter levels. Like your E1M1. That one was fine.

Also, I don't really care much for your approach to some secrets. I mean the type that opens a door on the other side of the map, where a switch opens a container somewhere else in the map, where the actual secret lies. But this is more of a subjective topic. You're aproach is closer in spirit to the original doom.

Any other opinions I may have had but forgot about are probably in the videos.

Also, it's a pretty long watch, so it's only in case you have some spare free time.

Is anyone else having Issues loading the WAD? I loaded the WAD like a normal WAD and I looked through every level and it's all just regular Doom 2?

Doable without E1M1 

And here Retro Dino if you want it for Doom 2 :)

Edited by Doomdude89

16 hours ago, PeceMan said:

2 maps are so incredibly different...

I wanted to do an full episode (Romero could do it for doom i thought hell i do it too, only the difference is he has experience i dont xD

Thats because the very first room what i started with was actually the big room in E1M2 where those 2 rooms (boxes & cacos) were all testing ground. And somewhere when creating my first map i got carried away. Then i thought the start actually sucked (Originally you started from the room where the 3 Cybers are) so i quickly made E1M1 thus there was a reason why the skyboxes were reasonable in E1M1 while you could laugh when you were pushing an button an seeing the skybox in E1M2 But learning on the get go and all you playtesters are fun to watch while i take all critisism and feedback with open arms. Like you told me how to even line with shift + a and Suitepee telling what door to use. Its thanks to Biodegradable also that the Red Room now is somewhat enjoyable cause origianlly you could just go back but then the spiders were blocking the door and it ended up being quite tedious xd Feedback like that is super useful. Beginners like me just draw lines and put an suitable door sprite not knowing they actually have certain grid sizes. 

Edited by Doomdude89

14 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

Is anyone else having Issues loading the WAD? I loaded the WAD like a normal WAD and I looked through every level and it's all just regular Doom 2?

You have to load it with Doom 1, not Doom 2

Finally caught up to this one - I think you overcompensated for the @Biodegradable lack of ammo experience - during the pinky party I couldn't walk without tripping over a cell pack haha - very ambitious first map but quite long for my taste - hope to see more down the road

How you managed to open the door at 50:21 is still a mistery to me. It should only open once you push the button in the toxic room. But well played.