Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Omniplex

3 Level WAD Sample

Hello, this is a three map sample of a Megawad I have made called Haunting Outbreak.

I decided to post a sample to get the idea of how it will look like. The official Megawad is still unfinished because: Ultimate Doom intermission screens, title screen, Credit screen and the M_DOOM logo need work so graphic designers are more than welcome to contribute to this project.

I had already tested the official WAD and it works with every limit-removing source ports pretty much (like GZDoom or Skulltag). All levels are beatable from pistol start.

You can use Free-look, but all levels can be finished without Jumping/Crouching. The levels in this sample work well with both hardware and software rendering.

This sample (and so will the official MegaWAD) uses Ultimate Doom IWAD to play, the levels included in this sample WAD are: E1M1, E1M7 and E2M4.

Programs I used for this sample WAD are: Doom Builder 2, Doom Writer, Slade 3 and Photoshop CC 2015 (for the sky textures, M_SKULL and STBAR).

There are no new textures, monsters and whatsoever in this WAD. The midis in this WAD are mainly those from the original doom and Doom 2.

Some levels can be quite easy to complete, and some can be as difficult as those from TNT Evilution on Ultra Violence.

The screenshots below are from the official MegaWAD.

Praise and criticism are more than welcome!

Screen_1.jpg

Screen_2.jpg

Screen_3.jpg

Screen_4.jpg

HOutSa.rar

Edited by Omniplex : I forgot to say, Praise and criticism are more than welcome

Not too bad. The only criticisms I have are that the combat can be a little grindy and short on ammo. There's also some egregious blocking lines in the first arena of E2M4 that don't make any sense.

Also it's not limit-removing, I could only get it to work in GZDoom

A pretty nice first impression. I really liked your layouts and texture work. They gave your maps a good sense of place and the combat was rather fun. I'd say the progression might've been a tad predictable but otherwise I had a ball with the available maps..

About the first arena, there was supposed to be a MIDGRATE texture but there are stairs on both sides so the texture wouldn't look nice on them. Maybe I should consider making those lines passable @Arbys550? Thanks!

And thank you for the positive comment @Biodegradable!

Good job on these Doom 1 maps, you never see enough of em and I never bothered to make one. You gotta make them real special to compete with Doom 2 but I think this was good. First map, nice starter with cool visuals and spaceship stuff. Map 2 turned up the punishment, I ran really low on resources trying to get the yellow key but found it thrilling. Map 3 with it's wooden vibe vs metal/spaceship vibes was an unexpected change of pace and I think you got a little carried away with the huge monster mash rooms haha - still fun tho here is my video kudos

@Biodegradable and @Clippy, I really enjoyed the videos you posted! I was laughing at some point and was like "Oops". I was balancing the amount of ammo and monsters as much as possible, which is why some areas can be difficult to clear. The reason for this is, you get to use different weapons constantly in battles and not just using a single weapon. For example, when you use chain gun in an area filled with let's say 200 imps, it can get quite boring in my opinion. I am also fixing certain things that don't really make much sense (like "invisible walls") in the official MegaWad, and texture them with MIDGRATE or make them passable. The official WAD went through a lot of updates and has long history, thinking what I should do next in order to make it better etc. There were times when I ran out of ideas or felt really lazy haha, especially during summer. It has been on my computer for over 9 years, and the second installment for over 6 years! Sorry I didn't tell you that I'm also working on the second installment.

Just tried this demo, and I gotta say I'm fond of the mid-90's Doomcute aesthetic it has. However, you should have mentioned what maps are available here, should you separate them in different arrangements (in this case, E1M1, E1M7, and E2M4). Otherwise, people would be confused about your statement of there being 3 maps.

Also, map progress feels a bit too linear for my taste, although this is rather tolerable considering its slaughtermap approach. Otherwise, looking forward to the full megawad release! It's not everyday that you see a DOOM 1 mapset, much less a megawad.

Haunting Outbreak

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Vanilla

-Deaths: E1M1 - 0; E1M7 - 0; E2M4 - 2 (1. Killed by a Cacodemon; 2. Killed by a Baron of Hell)

-Saves: none (all 3 maps)

E1M1:

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-214422.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-214738.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-220307.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-214832.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-220411.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210209-220610.png

This map has really been very interesting for me, due to the fact that it is quite long and large, in addition to exploring each room makes the experience feel very entertaining, since it has really curious structures, like a kind of cinema inside A space station, among other things, and the combat was also decent for me, although it could have been added to another class of monsters to complicate things a bit, such as the Cacodemons or the Barons of Hell, it was still fun exploring the map, finding the keys to open the doors, and without any confusion, all linear and well done. By the way, I really liked the ending where the rocket is.

E1M7:

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-085438.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-084153.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-084307.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-084739.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-085252.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-085438.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-085444.png

This map, unlike the previous one, raised the difficulty of what I would have expected, first of all, the structure with which this site was managed, for me it was really good, the rooms were not so huge, as was the tour, all good there, now where I ended up surprised was in the fighting part, it almost seemed something unfair to my thinking, due to the fact of not finding the necessary ammunition to make the monsters die, most of the time I had to let some of them fight in order to get extra ammunition, besides, if it weren't for the Cell weapon that is in a secret, very probably things could have been quite complicated, although in any case it was just as entertaining, in that if there is no doubt, challenging but fun.

E2M4:

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-090902.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-092024.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-092200.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-092631.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-092848.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210210-092904.png

Really hard map, with a structure between large and then small, it has areas that are really intense in fights, there is a certain shortage of ammunition at first, but then it is compensated, although as a counter-attack, the enemies become quite a lot , and this means that the ammunition of each weapon must be used with measure, but among all this chaos, it is appreciated that you have placed the Cell weapon, because only with the other weapons it would have really been difficult to pass this map. Anyway, great job on these 3 maps, and maybe a few things need to be improved to make it perfect.

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

@ElPadrecitoCholo That is an amazing review, Thank you! Like I didn't expect all the praises on these maps really. I also inspired from other difficult WADS (like Speed of Doom), noted for it's slaughter-fest maps which I really like. I appreciate all the reviews here, thank you.

To all who have just begun mapping for the first time, don't worry if the map looks really bad (I've been through it, obviously), it takes time. DON'T GIVE UP, KEEP GOING, KEEP PRACTICING, YOU WILL GET THERE! :D

Layout & Design: 9.5/10 

Virtually flawless. Occasional enemy swarms were pretty easy because you can just grab some resources, dash to a doorway and from there the enemies turn from imminent danger into pests that are blocking your way. 

Gameplay: 9.5/10

As stated above, enemy swarms yada yada. I had a good time blasting away demons & trying to kill off hordes of enemies, and there's emphasis on "try not to fuck up & lose lotsa health in one swing or else you will fail". Best parts are when a bunch of enemies spawn in, you immediately run to the nearest resources and get the fuck outta there. Whew!

Detailing: 10/10

Flawless. 

Overall: 10/10

Tiny Nitpicks: Stupid fuckin pinkies won't stop bothering me and I don't have a super shotgun so these pieces of shit will either eat my ammo, eat my patience or eat me. Fuck fuck f

You guys don't mind if I bump this thread, would you?

This is an update regarding the official MegaWAD. I only have three screens left to edit (CREDIT, PFUB1 and PFUB2 which make the screen scroll sideways like that of the original doom) so i am making progress. Once I finish with those screens, I will hopefully post the full WAD. I am currently drawing sketches for PFUB1 and PFUB2 screens, but I may leave the intermission screens as they are.

By the way, if you are interested, I can tell you the story to know what this WAD is all about (how the infestation began etc...).

This might be the last update I will give in this topic. So far everything is doing well, managed to fix the only bug I found earlier so there may not be a single bug in the entire MegaWAD.

I also have the last screen to edit, and this is the CREDIT screen. Now I have these questions in mind, who shall I give thanks to? May I thank you all for play-testing these three levels which I posted, even though it's just a demo? Quite newbie questions really, but I'm still quite new here.

Also here's the story (don't read if you do not want any spoilers):

Spoiler

It is year 2260 A.D, A large high tech city situated in another Earth-like planet called Ecoteries; made a lot of technological advancements throughout the years such as: Portals that are capable of teleporting people to other dimensions or other locations throughout the planet. Everything was going well until there was a group of 6 explorers, venturing through a wilderness next to the city that contained some abandoned high tech buildings and also ancient temples. The explorers found something rather unusual, there was something red glowing in the distance. As they progressed further all the way to where the red glow is, they saw a red marble temple, there was nothing inside but they didn't know if it was abandoned or not.

The explorers carried on until they found a volcanic crater, and a gateway that leads to an unknown dimension. On a mutant controlled outpost that was once on Ecoteries known as "Trifire", it used to be a military outpost where soldiers wield heavy energy powered weaponry and even RPGs. There were also portals where they can instantly teleport to designated locations to complete missions quickly.

Now the entire outpost is occupied by nasty mutants where they can take great advantage to invade the planet. As thousands of monsters used the portals, they teleported to the planet, invading cities, and bringing humans into a terrible suffering.

You were on your way to a ship port were you're employed in, but everything is silent which is unusual. Broken TV screens, bullets and corpses litter the floor. Preparing your pistol, you find out what's going on...