Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

Why do people get so offended by player's who decide to use freelook?

15 hours ago, Commodore Forever! said:

I think mouselook is fine, and isn't cheating, as long as autoaim is still enabled. With autoaim enabled, you can't do anything you wouldn't be able to do in vanilla, except look at some neat things :)

I think you can, actually, but might vary with the implementation?

If you use freelook even with autoaim I think you might now be able to reach elevated monsters autoaim can't normally reach if you look high enough.

Eh, it's mostly due to the way the wad maker intended to have the way his wad is meant to be played. If the text files says no jumping and mouselook, it's mostly up to you if you wanna break those rules, nobody really gives a fuck how you play doom. However, if you're one of those types who comes forth to the wad maker with the critique that it's too easy w/ mouselook or it's unbalanced with a mod, they're just gonna ignore you my guy b/c they never intended it that way and it'll just make you look stupid lmao.

I force enable freelook and disable autoaim. Otherwise the game feels too much like a console game. If I see a shootable switch I don't shoot it unless I know I'd be able to shoot it without freelook. I have a bind that centers the view for this purpose.

Most important of all, if I see anyone playing DooM in a different way compared to mine, I will find out where they work and call their employer and expose how they play DooM in their freetime.

Clippy,

I prefer to play without free-look when it comes to Doom, but I prefer to use it with Heretic, Hexen, and Strife. The reason for why I prefer Doom this way is that it is how I've always played it. The other games did have the ability to look up and down in some form originally, so it feels more natural for me with the other games. I don't really have an issue with people wanting to play with free-look, but I do have a separate but related issue to mention:

Deathmatch. I think that there can be problems with how a multiplayer game works out if there are players using free-look vs players without as well as auto-aim being on/off. To me, these are two separate skill types (free-look without auto-aim vs horizontal-view-only with auto-aim) to master in online deathmatch, and when these skill types go up against each other the player without free-look is almost always going to have a disadvantage against those using it, especially when it comes to projectile weapons. This can frustrate the old-school players who want to challenge their classic DM skills, and some even go as far as to call it cheating. I don't. Just because they have an advantage with their aim doesn't mean they'll win :-) 

Edited by alLAN95th

Maps from the late 90's I won't play with free look, actually I likely wouldn't even use a sourceport.

But later single player levels I'll use mouse look and jump, if it requires it. Of course!

Deathmatch levels however I would find a bit troublesome if trying to use mouse look, and in most cases aren't meant to have it enabled. I'll turn mouse look off for DM. Jumping should be ok though depending on the wad. Oh and to add to what @alLAN95th was saying, I see it as a cheat in DM if the player with mouse look uses the BFG and shoots at the floor, lol, it simply requires no skill to do that!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

i don't have a problem with it and idk anybody who has a problem with it. in fact, i respect people who do it cuz that shit feels weird in doom and idk how they can manage to play like that

Hey is it possible to add a special, taller (ie greater than 128) sky texture that only loads into MAP01-11 if the player runs the game in (G)ZDoom? I know this is a weird place to ask this but the skybox I’m using looks a little weird when stretched and freelook positively mongs it up on any other sky setting, so it might be something I’d like to implement for the freelookers. Note that I want it to still be otherwise compatible in Crispy Doom and PRBoom+ as well, just that this way my bases are kind of covered.

Unless Crispy and PRBoom+ support tall skyboxes anyway in which case never mind

I've been using freelook and jumping going all the way back to when I first discovered Doom Legacy in 1998 or 1999 and got a kick out of playing Doom like it was Quake. Does it break maps? Sometimes. Is it more fun for me to play that way? Every time. I've been playing this way for over 20 years, thousands and thousands of hours. If it makes people mad, that sounds like a them problem.

I don't really care about a user's freelook preference! In fact, it's only been recently that I've switched from freelook back to autoaim mostly due to nostalgia.

That said, I can understand a mapper's frustration with a player using freelook. Outside of the obvious sequence breaking, I didn't realize how Doom's aggressive autoaim changes one's approach to monster encounters. Say you have a chaingunner at the end of a room, and a cacodemon floating within inches of your face. With freelook, the obvious target is the chaingunner if the caco isn't blocking it. Autoaim, on the other hand, always prioritizes the closest monster, forcing you to take cover before engaging the chaingunner. Autoaim can also force the player to move to less advantageous ground, or even corral them between monsters, in a way that freelook doesn't. It balances the super shotgun against the rest of the arsenal, too, as its spread goes haywire when aiming towards monster above or below you.

Still, having used freelook for years, I haven't notice an appreciable change to difficulty either way. Most hard maps are still hard whether you can freely aim or not.

The only time when I really miss freelook is when mappers make you walk down those terrible stairs where you can't see anything below you.

Bonus points if the stairs aren't marked on the automap.

5 hours ago, Marcaek said:

outrage

There was one in the first place?

Ewwwwwww freelook 🤮

Na jks :-) I don’t really care and play whichever way you like :-)

That said, it does make the sprites look a bit weird (like 2D cardboard cutouts) in some ports.

Although I personally am not a fan of it (I prefer it off unless a map requires freelook), if people want to play it that way, I see no problem with it. If you like to play that way, no shame in it. I do see the issue with some maps that are designed where features like jump (maybe even freelook) may cause an issue if accessed too early in a map, so some mappers may get disappointed it is not being played the way of intending. But overall, it's not a crime to play with freelook.