Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
forgettable pyromaniac

What is your "Doom Niche"?

7 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

And enjoy watching others suffer through Maximum Doom :D

Oooooohhhh yeah, I'm sadistic like that.

(BTW, when will YOU start a Max Doom playthrough:-)

14 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

(BTW, when will YOU start a Max Doom playthrough:-)

NEVERRRRRRR.

Watching Kes play Max Doom is more than enough for me :D

My niche seems to be old-style levels that no one else appreciates (at least they get a lot of hate), such as Strippers and the Genocide Center.  i sincerely enjoy them and think they are brilliant, both in gameplay and design.  And i would like them no matter how good i were at Doom.

Only thing I do that might be kinda unique is I sometimes try to use the least amount of movement to get the job done, I've dubbed it "economy of movement". Probably not going to take off in a game where you can run full speed forever.

Having a small number of minor ideas and suggestions I keep private, because I do not feel like dealing at all with contrarian walls of text proving how wrong and daft I am, I dread them. I already hate doing so in my mother tongue, let alone in a foreign tongue I barely master.

Exception: when the person to whom I speak is known to be nice and kind.

After all, forums are for me a leisure activity, not an IEEE Journal.

Making atmospheric maps... probably... There were people that loved the atmosphere in Stygian Abyss [even people outside of the forum]

As far as gameplay?.... Maybe its my evasive movements and quick[ish] reflexes 

Finding and applying tactics such as these. I also enjoy playing BFG spamming tactical zoning and railgun camping strategic defense maps in DM. I find it oddly satisfying to get a better K:D ratio than anybody else while putting in the least effort. If I also come out as #1, hey, the better.

Not leaving level without finding all secrets, even if it takes hours. I make exception only if i record blind demo for competition.

Playing on UV only.

Working on innovative projects with great ideas and then getting distracted to work on a different project.

I'll probably update this post when I remember my other specialties.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:02 PM, DOEL said:

Only thing I do that might be kinda unique is I sometimes try to use the least amount of movement to get the job done, I've dubbed it "economy of movement". Probably not going to take off in a game where you can run full speed forever.

Movement economy is actually something that I'd argue is vastly underrated, in particular when it's down to challenge/slaughter maps where "projectile herding" can be a useful skill to keep incoming ordinance "organized" instead of running around like a headless chicken and spreading all that shit out like mad...

I can use streaming (slowly strafe to align aimed bullets) to avoid projectiles in doom. Also i know how to give myself space to start streaming to the other side. Its something that i learned from bullet hells.

Also having ideas for mods and implementing those bad.

I love using vanilla textures, the pallet is just perfect!

My specialty is mundane, but I'm pretty good with resource management. I make sure not to grab non-mandatory Berserk packs until I'm near death, shell boxes aren't picked up until I've got about 32/82 shells left, and new armor doesn't get grabbed until the old armor is gone. I'm not good enough to pistol start every level, so I make sure that when a stage is mostly clear and if I'm able to go back, I grab as much health, armor, and ammo as I can so I start out the next stage as strong as possible. Although if I do all that and it turns out it's a death exit I didn't know about, I shed a single tear and quietly begin the next stage with fifty bullshits... I mean bullets.

9 minutes ago, Sotenga said:

My specialty is mundane, but I'm pretty good with resource management. I make sure not to grab non-mandatory Berserk packs until I'm near death, shell boxes aren't picked up until I've got about 32/82 shells left, and new armor doesn't get grabbed until the old armor is gone. I'm not good enough to pistol start every level, so I make sure that when a stage is mostly clear and if I'm able to go back, I grab as much health, armor, and ammo as I can so I start out the next stage as strong as possible. Although if I do all that and it turns out it's a death exit I didn't know about, I shed a single tear and quietly begin the next stage with fifty bullshits... I mean bullets.

i do the same thing! i always like to use things to their fullest potential.. which is why i wont grab a health pack when i am at 90% health

On 2/15/2021 at 3:02 PM, DOEL said:

That's a very good one and I usually do the same, playing the maps in a slower pace.

I always find odd and amusing to watch people playing Doom and dancing while pistoling Imps or shotgunning HKs, for example, when all they just needed to do was to tap the dodge button when the enemy attacks with its slow projectile.

One thing that I think I do fairly well is to find myself in the map and not get lost. I tend to use the automap often too.

Spoiler

Save-scumming.

Also apparently I'm good at playing ProDoomer (V2 which imo is much harder and more frustrating than the current V3) because I seem to be the only person on the whole internet who has actually played and beaten (not 100% though) every single map in that dumpster fire megawad. I have also done it twice where I played it for the first time without any recording because I thought it looked cool at first and I was too stubborn/stupid to stop playing long after everything went to shit. The second time was when I decided it would be fun to torture myself on camera so I played the whole megawad again but this time made it into a YouTube let's play series.

Spoiler

Edited by Zulk RS : Fixing up grammar and wording.

I'm good at making passable void maps that are sort of pretty and I also can kind of review wads okay-like. ogling over Lullaby's skybox intensifies, completely ignoring whatever monsters are currently shooting me in the back

Kinda lousy at making new maps on my own, but I really enjoy tweaking others.

(Also, porting stuff from one game into GZDoom's engine, but I won't get too much into that. A few people who see this post might know what I'm talking about.)

I can dodge cyberdemon rockets head on by just tapping to the left and right, only works when I'm in a open space though. 

@Deadwing @Nine Inch Heels Now that I'm aware of the concept, it's obvious to me that it isn't something unique that I do. I'm sure players that are competitive for any kind of record do this out of necessity.

But it is something I wish more people were aware of. In my experience, when people think Doom, they think movement all the time when cover, routing, space management, etc. are all just as important as dodging skills.

I am primarily a speedmapper but I have inexplicably showed up now and again in the multiplayer community.
Somehow have IDL and WDL titles but I think my most noteworthy thing is ASS.
Or Mayhem I guess.

I just exist and shitpost.