Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LVENdead

Visual design and the iterative process

I don't know if this constitutes a tutorial per se (and please let me know if this is more suited for a better section), but I noted a lot of people in the WADS & Mods section recently asking about how to be more creative, and also got a lot of commentary about techniques in my most recent map, so I thought I'd share some thoughts about that.

This is an impromptu discussion about my iterative process, some of the "seeds" that contributed toward my initial concepts, and also some of my considerations for how I blended modern + classic aesthetics and incorporated lighting for setting and mood. This map uses UDMF format, so I took advantage of some of the advanced features like global sector color and dynamic lighting. Maybe others can share some thoughts on their creative process here?

That is definitely an impressive level of detailing and lighting! I noticed that I started the same way, thinking about the design and architecture, shaping the rooms as I go before putting in any things. I also had the feeling that a nice starting area kind of sets the tone for the rest of the level. And from there map flow and progression emerges. 

However, I’m currently trying to break this pattern. Focusing on encounters and flow. It’s hard, to be honest. I look at the sketched out map and its just not appealing. I want to see if I can make it fun just in terms of gameplay. After all, putting monsters shouldn’t be some sort of random decoration, right? But I already look forward to detailing the heck out of it. Vanilla style, of course.  😏

Thanks for the video!