Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
smeghammer

Drag 'n' Drop upload to IDGames

Triggered by @Clippy's post about uploading to ID Games, I made a simple python3 drag and drop uploader. It's a beta, and I plan to abstract the need for editing the code to add your email into a config file and the ability to drop multiple files at the same time.

NOTE: Currently, you need to drop one file at a time.

Essentially, it uses python code to perform the FTP upload and a Windows batch file shortcut for drag/drop functionality (this should work similarly with the shell file too on Ubuntu, but not tested yet).

So, the setup is as follows:

- Make sure you have python3 installed for Windows (it's already on Ubuntu by default)

- download my code from the github repo

- deploy it somewhere

- open the file 'start.py' and replace the email placeholder ('your_email@your_host.com') with yours

- locate the file 'test.bat'. You will need to change the line pointing at the python start.py file:

echo starting...
python "C:\Work\FTP Uploader\start.py" -f "%1"
pause

- Make sue the python alias is correct (the alias is 'python' on my windows system even though it is actually python3.7 version)

- Make sure the path to your deployment is correct (if spaces, make sure to include quotes like above).

- finally, create a desktop shortcut to this batch file. Here is mine:

image.png.6ff720d9c6b7938b0d396ccb252a3b35.png

How it works

- The desktop shortcut will accept drag and drop anyway (built in to Windows) and this file is passed on to the batch file as the '%1' argument.

- This is then passed to the python file 'start.py' as its CLI argument value for '-f'

- The python code then uploads to ID Games via programmatic FTP.

I tested this with a simple WAD and associated text file, and the files appeared in the /incoming directory of IDGames.

Holly code you grant use, pal!

A lot of people was waiting for something like this since long time!

i will try to tag a lot of people here to give you feedback right now!

Doomworld is helluve slow these days thanks to all the ddos attacks.

Hope they don't be a decoy for something more treating :/

@Doomkid @Redneckerz @ketmar @Clippy @Gez @chungy @Edward850 maybe @Mordeth and @Linguica will be interested on this, too.

Edited by P41R47

46 minutes ago, Xymph said:

Nice coding. But sounds like a bit of work for end-users to set up and use.

FYI, the native Gamers.org solution (an upload web form) is in testing-and-tweaking phase, and should become available to the public soon.

Yeah I know. It's more of a proof of concept. It is definitely not an 'install it and go' solution. It would certainly be possible to do something similar with .NET or similar to generate a standalone .exe, but that is not really my skillset any more :-(

It would definitely be more end-user friendly if it was a standalone .exe, but python doesn't do that natively - it's interpreted. There *might* be a wrapper though...

I didn't know about that native gamers.org solution - I'll certainly keep my eye on that one.

@P41R47 - thank you, it would be good to get exposure. Please note this is currently rough and ready proof of concept stuff, but if there is interest, I will most certainly spend the time improving it.

OK so I updated the code so it is better abstracted and has a proper config file. I also updated the README to have - hopefully - understandable instructions:

https://github.com/smeghammer/ftp-uploader

This *is* a bit techie - so apologies for that - but it should allow easy drag and drop upload once it is set up. 

I also updated the Ubuntu .desktop file so it now works properly on Ubuntu as well. Any questions let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Have fun!