Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

Oldest E1M1 from Nov 93 vid tour of id recreated

That's neat. I was always so intrigued by the subtle changes between the retail version and the late beta. I especially love how the shotgun area is hidden behind a different colored STARTAN wall, behind the pillar. Seems like you did a pretty good and accurate job on recreating this. Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

At 9:35 of this video https://youtu.be/HpEBUV_g9vU?t=573

you can see an E1M1 earlier than any released far as I know.

So I recreated it

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2veegcgxlxjt1fk/E1M1Nov93tour.zip/file 

Three different vanilla compatible wads.

Replacing E1M1 in Doom 1

E1M1Tour.wad I used the Doom shareware v0.99 or 1.0 version as a base ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/historic/doom1_0 )

I tried to get this closest to the video experience, except I only deleted some things from the finished E1M1 that were left in the void.

E1M1Tr19.wad I used the Ultimate Doom version as a base (and set its multi-only berserk pack to appear on all difficulties multi).  Because why not?

e1m1vid..jpgE1M1Tour.jpg

Hey, why the colors of the wall aren't the same? Can you change it so that it will be the same?

12 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Hey, why the colors of the wall aren't the same? Can you change it so that it will be the same?

they are the same, is just that the photo to the left is outreageously lighten up, and so looks like having different colours.

Good job, @Gokuma recreating this old e1m1 variant.

It really interesting to see the subtle differences between versions.

I remember that Doom v1.666 didn't had the switch at the start that let you go outside and grab the armor.

Thanks all.   Well here's a breakdown of how I recreated it, pausing and replaying parts of the video repeatedly to gauge the stuff.

accuracy.png

Edited by Gokuma

1 hour ago, Gokuma said:

Thanks all.   Well here's a breakdown of how I recreated it, pausing and replaying parts of the video repeatedly to gauge the stuff.

accuracy.png

That's nice. I will use the map in my video: Tribute to DOOM 1993. Don't know what exactly the title will be.

On 2/14/2021 at 5:36 PM, Gokuma said:

At 9:35 of this video https://youtu.be/HpEBUV_g9vU?t=573

you can see an E1M1 earlier than any released far as I know.

So I recreated it

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2veegcgxlxjt1fk/E1M1Nov93tour.zip/file 

Three different vanilla compatible wads.

Replacing E1M1 in Doom 1

E1M1Tour.wad I used the Doom shareware v0.99 or 1.0 version as a base ( https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/historic/doom1_0 )

I tried to get this closest to the video experience, except I only deleted some things from the finished E1M1 that were left in the void.

E1M1Tr19.wad I used the Ultimate Doom version as a base (and set its multi-only berserk pack to appear on all difficulties multi).  Because why not?

Replacing Map01 in Doom2

EntHngTr.wad I used my Entry-Hangar as a base.   Only this one requires ClassicT.wad for Doom 2

But to use ClassicT.wad with vanilla doom2.exe you must add all flats, OR delete blood1-3 and nukage1-3 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2m3eukcmrgzxj6/ClassicT.zip/file

Original Entry-Hangar thread

e1m1vid..jpgE1M1Tour.jpg

The colors are so not the same. It's curious. It's grey in the video... Is it possible that at that time, they choose grey as a color for the textures??? I could have asked to John Romero, but I recently lost contact with him. :-(

4 hours ago, bipolarmaximus said:

The colors are so not the same. It's curious. It's grey in the video... Is it possible that at that time, they choose grey as a color for the textures??? I could have asked to John Romero, but I recently lost contact with him. :-(

Your question was already answered above. And even if it weren't, you can easily see that the rest of the video has very washed out colors too, like many handheld camcorder recordings of CRTs. It has nothing to do with the textures themselves. You can see the colors more clearly in the brief moment that the player turns around.

18 hours ago, Shepardus said:

Your question was already answered above. And even if it weren't, you can easily see that the rest of the video has very washed out colors too, like many handheld camcorder recordings of CRTs. It has nothing to do with the textures themselves. You can see the colors more clearly in the brief moment that the player turns around.

I know you answered, but it was difficult to believe as it was so very different. I mean, it's very pale and your wall is dark... thx for your answers.

15 hours ago, bipolarmaximus said:

I know you answered, but it was difficult to believe as it was so very different. I mean, it's very pale and your wall is dark... thx for your answers.

Raise the gamma while you are playing and you will see for yourself :)

You can do that by pressing F11

Edited by P41R47

17 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Raise the gamma while you are playing and you will see for yourself :)

You can do that by pressing F11

THX! I wil use it. 

So you think that they were playing DOOM with a high gamma at that time?

1 minute ago, bipolarmaximus said:

THX! I wil use it. 

So you think that they were playing DOOM with a high gamma at that time?

Totally, there was no Bandicam or program that recorded what you had on fullscreen at that time.

So, to capture it with a camrecorder, as it is, they had to brighten it up a lot or CTR monitors would show the cathodic yoke sweep.

One trick for them to not be showed was raising the contrast and the brightness.

Thats why the colours looks soo washed up and different than how they should.

4 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Totally, there was no Bandicam or program that recorded what you had on fullscreen at that time.

So, to capture it with a camrecorder, as it is, they had to brighten it up a lot or CTR monitors would show the cathodic yoke sweep.

One trick for them to not be showed was raising the contrast and the brightness.

Thats why the colours looks soo washed up and different than how they should.

As I understand from your point of view, they changed the gamma to be able to record it with a camrecorder?

8 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

As I understand from your point of view, they changed the gamma to be able to record it with a camrecorder?

Thats what i said, yes.

Look at the video, you can still see the swept a lot.

Thanks to the gamma and contrast being soo high, you don't see it as a darker bar as it should because that what is happening.

The swept was made to refresh the phophorous particles that where lighten up and shoot to the screen with the cathodic yoke.

Thus, behind the swept you would see a darker area.

That because the phosphorous particles where colder than the rest.

But since the brightness is so high, they are still lighten up even after the swept cleaned the screen.

Back in the day, if you had a TV or a PC monitor at full brightness it would get burnt in just a few weeks of use.

A camera could record at more frecuency than the human eye, and so, the camera can perceive the swept.

Thats what you see on the video, like the image is bobbing in and out.

7 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Thats what i said, yes.

Look at the video, you can still see the swept a lot.

Thanks to the gamma and contrast being soo high, you don't see it as a darker bar as it should because that what is happening.

The swept was made to refresh the phophorous particles that where lighten up and shoot to the screen with the cathodic yoke.

Thus, behind the swept you would see a darker area.

That because the phosphorous particles where colder than the rest.

But since the brightness is so high, they are still lighten up even after the swept cleaned the screen.

Back in the day, if you had a TV or a PC monitor at full brightness it would get burnt in just a few weeks of use.

A camera could record at more frecuency than the human eye, and so, the camera can perceive the swept.

Thats what you see on the video, like the image is bobbing in and out.

thx for that precision!

I did it again.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mo8h8jevjb3k3nk/OldAltE1M1.zip/file

Doom Alpha 0.5 had a different unfinished E1M1 by Tom Hall.

Check out the second picture in Doom Beta Levels gallery at:
https://imgur.com/user/doomwiki

(mentioned on page 4 of this topic)

This is a version newer than the Alpha 0.5 before
it was replaced by Romero's E1M1, Hangar.

However, it does not seem to be anywhere in the resources released publicly by Romero.

oldAe1m1.wad
Replaces Map01 in Doom 2
Requires ClassicT.wad
http://www.mediafire.com/file/b2m3eukcmrgzxj6/ClassicT.zip/file
To use ClassicT.wad with vanilla doom2.exe, you have to either add all flats, OR delete blood1-3 and nukage1-3.

Skill 3 Hurt Me Plenty should be closest to how the pictured map plays.
Things from the Alpha 0.5 version that were moved or deleted in that map, I just made appear on easy, hard, or multi.
The single easy/hard barrel was DoomEd id# 2036 for the Rollee chair on all difficulties.
Change it back and run this with Entry Hangar Plus instead of ClassicT.wad if you want to see it.
You could also change this wad to E1M1 and run it with Doom 1 if you supply the textures needed.

I took the version from Deathz0r's 0_5resor.wad and turned it into the map pictured as well as I could.
A LOT was guesswork.   I just judged the geometry by the 64x64 grid and color-coding and size of things placed.
Pasted the similar part of E3M9 into it and made it conform to the map pictured.
Ceiling and wall textures are a guess.   Floor textures and light levels also may not be exact.
Designed things to open up in a way the preserves the Alpha 0.5 look and architecture while conforming to
the geometry of the picture.

HallAM1.wad
So you can see before I changed it into the pictured map...
This is the version from Deathz0r's wad with just textures changed to match the ClassicT.wad or finished Doom names.
Apparently the red keycard and Spider Mastermind had their DoomEd #'s switched during development.
Deathz0r's swapped map id#'s with an embedded dehacked lump.  I just changed the Spider to a red key in the map.
The Rollee chair thing #2036 is left intact so this requires running with enthangp.wad if you don't change that.
Order of wads is important in this case.
zdoom -file enthangp.wad hallam1.wad

If you want to try a different, totally trippy version based on the Alpha 0.5,
check out E5M1 of https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/j-l/lostepis
It's the first map of their new episode.

Feel free to do whatever with my versions of these maps.

Edited by Gokuma

I suggest redownloading E1M1Nov93tour.zip from first post.   Just updated it.

In all or most of them:

Added additional shotgun shells at shotgun I didn't notice.

A couple lines on pillars in new (old discarded) room had their textures at 57 vert offset.  Fixed to 64.

Exit room modified to be like video.

In Accurate.wad:

Deleted all barrels, shotgun guys, health/armor bonuses, candelabras, gibbed & dead marines, pool of blood decor.

Deleted all multiplayer-only things except left DM starts.

Some lamps deleted.

Some zombiemen deleted.

One imp deleted and another changed to a zombieman. 

Medikit added/moved near exit.

Stopped texture on armor pillar from scrolling.