Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸

Not many people playing Deathmatch in Australia

it's always annoying for me trying to get into a simple zandronum/odamex deathmatch game in australia. usually no-one's playing, and if they are it's on a co-op or survival server with a bazillion mods. even if i try to connect to those games, it can take ages to download everything and oh look the person playing has already left.

and then i see all these servers in america with no problems getting players, that i can't connect to because i have >200 ping...

australia is like, an entire continent. how is not a single other person trying to play doom deathmatch

tl;dr, i'm whinging about how i can't play deathmatch

I remember there were a few recent attempts to get more aussie players together. Maybe @Doomkid can give you a few more tips on catching those games you want

Hell, there's not much players playing DM in America. I use Doom Explorer, and I get a few servers, but you have to play at peak times. Everyone's always playing that stupid fucking Megaman DM server or some other game mode. 

There's like 60 Australians with the internet, there is only 3 that I know that play Doom. It makes sense you can't get a game.

Also I think Doomkid plays in oversea servers so playing with a low ping might get him off guard and perform terribly.

DM is the best but criminally underrepresented. I’ll try and do some more DM streams, people seemed to have fun last time..

I'd play with all of you if school gave me some time. Seriously they are killing me (I'm not australian, but I enjoy playing deathmatch)

Hey, playing DM with high pings can be an educational experience. You have not truly experienced DM until you make your first kill by leading your SSG shots to your left in order to hit a player that appears right in front of you ;-)

Also, you can play BFG spamming tactical zoning and camping strategic positioning maps such as Brit10 just fine: you don't really need split-second reaction times to SSG the grunt in front of your before he does, when you can just pump rockets/plasma/BFG blasts down a hallway or into an arena. In those maps, the high ping usually works in your favour, by registering kills/hits even after your opponents thought they evaded them (at least they do on ZDaemon, but other engines may be more inclement).

Of course, don't expect to win any 1-on-1s on such terms. There you really need the aforementioned split-second reaction time, and the guy who pulls the trigger first (without missing) wins.

On 2/15/2021 at 6:39 PM, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

i can't connect to because i have >200 ping...

dude you just have to swallow the pill i usually play on american servers and european server with i have 200 and 250 ping respectively you can get used to it hell i even play duels like this even though i know i am at a disadvantage 

also use zdaemon zandronum netcode sucks really badly and has a tendence to desync a lot i can barely play on it but zdaemon? sometimes i get a lag spike where it doesnt even show my ping and it never desyincs (i mean at least it doesnt stop you with a annoying message saying you disconnected where you cant move or do shit) but thats it we live in a country were doom isnt popular we have to bite the bullet and deal with it

also removing the view bob made my connection a lot better for some reason so i recomend that

On 2/17/2021 at 11:12 PM, Doomkid said:

DM is the best but criminally underrepresented. I’ll try and do some more DM streams, people seemed to have fun last time..

sometimes the people that you usually see dueling on zdaemon join up to play dm its fun but i think duels are more popular there because its way more skill based then dm with is good for experienced players but sucks for newcomers (well at least i see way more duels going on them dm)

Odamex might be your better choice, Zan 3.0's netcode really does suck but I have no idea how bad it is for Aussie players for any port. Doomkid's Doomshack servers give him about 180 ping and he performs quite well with that on zan

5 hours ago, 🌸 V E W M 3 2 🌸 said:

thanks for the advice but i don't use zdaemon cause they specifically made the source code unavailable

i dont think thats an issue but i get where you are coming from 

since zdaemon uses leaderboards and pvp modes are mostly played there hacking is way more of a problem there so i think thats why they dont release it

22 minutes ago, omalefico32x said:

i dont think thats an issue but i get where you are coming from 

since zdaemon uses leaderboards and pvp modes are mostly played there hacking is way more of a problem there so i think thats why they dont release it

Not releasing source code does not in any way, shape, or form, prevent hacking. If anything all it does is encourage it, and you actually have to do more work to compensate for it given you are now dealing with people disassembling your code completely in the dark.

On 2/26/2021 at 6:07 PM, Edward850 said:

Not releasing source code does not in any way, shape, or form, prevent hacking. If anything all it does is encourage it, and you actually have to do more work to compensate for it given you are now dealing with people disassembling your code completely in the dark.

i never claimed it stopped in any way what so ever though it does make it harder for people to develop the hacks and its clear that the zdaemon team is making a good job to keep the hackers away from it even with the extra work

edit: after reading a lot about the subject seens like i was misguided in it preventing hacks though i want to clarify that i never said in any way that i lliked that the source code wasnt released i would still like to see it being released one day though i still feel like thats a non issue for me

another thing i want to add is that i didnt support them on having the source code locked like i said in my original comment "i get where you coming from" i certanly would like if we had it but i dont care that we dont

just some clarification and a correction so people dont take me out of context

Edited by omalefico32x : more context

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

i never claimed it stopped in any way what so ever though it does make it harder for people to develop the hacks and its clear that the zdaemon team is making a good job to keep the hackers away from it even with the extra work

No that's the thing that I was explaining. It doesn't only not stop it, it doesn't even slow it down. It does nothing at all.

Security through obscurity is not any security at all.

You just end up with a darknet of hacks and absolutely no whitehat insight at all.

I mean I can host more aussie servers  if you could give me ideas on what to host, but its actually the people who plays whatever they want, besides I tried to get people into events for down-under a few times but no one arrived. but I agreed with you as we still do need more aussies playing doom rather than modern stuff.

Thank you for keeping the [DUD] cluster up, DJB. On the rare occasions I see other aussies playing, that low ping feels so good!

Just now, Doomkid said:

Thank you for keeping the [DUD] cluster up, DJB. On the rare occasions I see other aussies playing, that low ping feels so good!

almost 6 damn years on hosting  you are welcome man.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:44 AM, Doomkid said:

We’ve had this argument so many times, let’s not do it again.

have to thank you for not making this argument spiral out of control you stoped me to argue and with that read more about things related to the source code

my opinion on it still didnt change but i feel like i have a stronger opinion on the subject now that i studied it more