Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

Lullaby [1.2 Update - 10/14/23] +Low Specs version

Before I begin I have to admit that i'm a sucker for surreal and dream-like aesthetic, i've also been following this map's progress on twitter for sometime now, so i was really hyped to play it when i saw it was finally released.I have to say, i'm not dissapointed at all. This is my  favourite level this year so far and i'm not exaggerating when i say, we might already have a cacoaward winner right here in the first quarter of the year. I will replay it as soon as i can because of the secret keys and the final bfg.

I admit i made this map harder for myself, because i missed the rocket launcher and plasma rifle at the beggining so it made the fight for the red skull harder than it already was. Overall this a map that will definetly be talked about in the following years, when it comes to visuals and aesthetic, 10/10 in my opinion.

I just played this yesterday, I like the special effects like the falling stars, bubbles and other surreal stuff, it's a very fun map.

So yeah I liked this a lot.

I haven't played Doom in a bit, and don't plan to until I have a VR headset for it, but this map is sitting in my ZDL load just waiting to be run in VR.

Just played through this - absolutely fantastic job.  From a map design point of view, there's nothing better than enjoying a real expert use of the tools available.  It's clear you really know your way around UDB, and how to make the most of it.  From a design point of view, there were two things I particularly loved about the map.

1) Extremely intelligent use of modern UDB / UDMF / GZDoom features.  Many of the most impressive set pieces in the map (I loved those curvy bookcases for example) I see are made using a combination of OBJ exported geometry, and Export-to-Image textures.  This has allowed them to be integrated into the map in a way that makes them look like sectors, but in reality are more flexible and more resource efficient.  I genuinely had to break out the editor to see how you had achieved a few things. 

2) Incredibly consistent in-game "language".  Despite the variety of special effects on display and incredibly complex scenes, I really appreciated and admired how doggedly you kept the interactive elements consistent.  How every combat situation had the same flow - the same buttons for doors, the same buttons for triggering the beginning and end of the fights, the same star-portals for moving from the central hub to the three key-arenas.  It was clear at all times what the player should be looking out for, and at no point did I feel lost despite the interconnectivity of the map.  It's something I'm not as consistent with as I should be, and this was a fantastic lesson in why it makes such a difference to get it right.

Really good stuff, and also, thank you for also taking the time to make Easy difficulty setting a genuinely well-balanced experience!

Edited by Bauul

This map is so much fun! The architecture is playful and intricate, and the fights have enough tooth to them that you (somewhat ironically) don't fall asleep playing them, without being so difficult that they take you out of the dreamlike atmosphere; I appreciate the careful difficulty curve, as well. I only died a couple times on UV, but also only found one out of three secrets on my first go-through; might do some poking around to find the other two later. My favourite room was the one with the checkered pits :) And again, it's a visual treat; the detailing here is masterful and refined. I'll definitely be giving this map a replay or two down the line, and remembering it for a long while too. Thank you for putting this out there!

Whooooa, that was an amazing experience! Beautiful design, great flow, fun fights and the secret hunting was really engaging! Thanks Danlex! 

Really good map! Took 57m46s IGT (1h16 RTA) to get it done with all secrets on UV. The secrets were really good, usually I miss secrets and then have to open up editors to check where they were but on this map they were really interesting with the glimpses throughout the map. Thanks for the map.

Played through this on my stream last night and I had to prize my jaw off the floor several times. Every other room is another "holy shit" moment. The things you can pull off with models in the GZ engine.

The fights were intense but far from overwhelming, so I really appreciate the care taken into setting up the encounters. Even playing on UV every fight felt manageable and not too nasty. No moments of massive frustration - while I had some problems with chaingunners in the big crystal cave as well as the cacodemons in the bubble void, and the final fight had me for breakfast because I didn't have a BFG - overall I really really, really enjoyed this.

The map layout flowed like butter too, I knew exactly where I needed to be at any one point. I know that I missed a ton of stuff because I didn't get a single keycard! I'll definitely need to replay this to get an idea of what I missed. Definitely look forward to tackling that final fight with the BFG and invuln though.

The music was the only thing that I felt let it down the slightest bit. It's fitting for this sort of map in how strange-sounding and disjointed it is, but I think its tendency to have the melodies meander almost randomly and some of the instrumental choices like the bizarre brass solo towards the end ultimately let it down. I'll write you something new if you're interested!

Edited by Jimmy

Here's a let's play by me for you ;) .

Quite digged the map itself and the gameplay, but didn't manage to get the keycards, I assume those were the final three secrets. IMO it's pretty overkill to keep the BFG away from the player and require six keys for it, but on lower skills I guess it's kinda warranted since the map is otherwise not too difficult - and it would completely trivialize the final battle.

Otherwise, not disappointed, will nominate as promised.

Downloading this right now.

Edit: Why would you do this.

image.png.efa6829509eb50b7a10ab9289f4cba5a.pngEdit 2: Finally played through all of it and it may be the best looking wad I've ever played through. I will agree with most people and say that collecting the keycards to dull down the final fight was a bit of a bad decision (and I spent like half the time looking for them) but a cool idea. I played on UV and even then it wasn't all that difficult. This map if anything should be played for the aesthetics and visuals because they push the limits of the Doom engine more than any other map I've seen. From the screenshots with the holes in the floor I honestly thought they'd be flat textures. Also that library bit looked incredible. Definitely deserving of a cacoward.image.png.33f0dfd2695256903a3cacb76cb8e879.png

Edited by Spineapple tea

Finally was able to finish this up today. My god this thing is just insane. I know it's a modern source port/mapping format and all that but some of the stuff this map pulls off visually is still just incredible. The setting is just so captivating, I could explore a whole world of this style and I loved seeing all the interesting ways the geometry was varied. Simple outstanding.

I think the combat and progression was alright, it definitely felt distinctly like a "visit a series of arenas" structure more than anything else, but that's mostly alright to me for a single map. I would still have loved if exploration itself played a greater part in this map. There's just so much surprise and wonder that can come from the anticipation of what you'll explore next, and this map in my opinion doesn't really capitalize on that at all. That's not to say there's no surprise, it was certainly an incredible experience to discover, I just mean more like - it kind of began to feel as "Oh I wonder how cool this next arena is going to look!" if that makes sense. With that said, there were some fucking amazing looking arenas - the little "vortexes in the floor" and the spider mastermind arena were absolutely highlights for me.

I hope I didn't diminish what an incredible feat this map is though. It's so god damn good. 

It's a very pretty and challenging map, but I didn't find it too harsh. I actually did reasonably well on UV until the final fight and then I just got utterly creamed repeatedly to the point of exhaustion. I'm going to have to revisit this one on HMP so I can beat the final room. Really awesome map, Dan. My favourite room was definitely the wacky library. The use of stark contrasting blue and black is just gorgeous.

Made of a video of me playing the first eight minutes of this in Walpurgis:

Only 8 minutes because my hard drive is filled to bursting and this was already like 3 Gb and took 55 minutes to upload lol. I need to reduce my recording settings to do long levels I guess. Still gives a nice taster.

Very pretty and I love the asthetic you're presenting. And doesn't completely kick my ass which is always nice.

Though I have to say, screw those stars you have to jump over at the beginning (this was actually the third recording of the video simply because I kept falling off from inertia and nobody wants to watch two minutes of falling into the abyss). I imagine its even worse if you have to run them without jump enabled.

On 2/15/2021 at 7:24 PM, Arbys550 said:

Seems good so far, but I'm at the red skull key with no rocket launcher and no plasma gun, and I'm completely out of ammo for the SSG and chaingun, meaning I'm pretty much screwed. Also the cave area is a little too dark in my opinion. I pretty much can't see anything past ten or so feet.

I think you're supposed to press the switch in the first area that lowers the rocket launcher and the plasma rifle before going to the rest of the map. It's another explore the area at your own pace but you need all three keys to exit. And I'm guessing finding all three secrets will help you at the end.

Really great design. Visuals are beautifull. All encounters are great. I wasn't much of a fan of the music, though.

Also, the framerate... 9/10, needs better framerate (like, WAY better framerate).

Long time but occasional doom player and fist time posted on Doomworld.  Brought here by the PC Gamer article.

I signed up just to say what an excellent job you did with this map and I thoroughly enjoyed playing it.  It’s even inspired me to have a go at map making.

The combat is very challenging but once you figure out the correct tactic for each arena isn’t impossible with practice and luck.  That’s with the exception of the final one which I wouldn’t have been able to beat without the BFG and invulnerability.  That said the secrets are fair with enough of a hint from each to be able to work out without running blind around the whole map.

Architecturally stunning and give me a bit of Quake Arcane Dimensions feel at times, especially the Library section.

Played on UV and took me 1:36.  Had to abuse the saves to get there thought!

This is the most beautiful custom map I've ever seen.

This was a glorious time - although I don't think my new computer was up to the task, er screw it I played it anyway - the visuals were so stunning all I wanted to do was look at everything - like fighting monsters in an art gallery. The fights were awesome to, well except the the too many cacodemons blue key platform stuff. But that ending was super nuts haha, all I could do was run in circles for a while and somehow not die ... I mean it worked. Either way good stuff buddy this is art

Loved this map. The color palette you chose with the all the light blues was so soothing and all around awesome. Spent a good portion of my playthrough just running around and taking screenshots and enjoying your craftsmanship! Encounters were also fun, engaging and not too stressful. 

Definitely thought the library section was the coolest room too. Gave me huuuuge Karazhan from WoW vibes. So freaking cool.

Alright, someone brought this up in the PB server so i investigated a bit. Apparently, a second or so after starting the map, the player is teleported to one of those two Cyberdemon hole things with all the floating effects above them. At first i thought this was some anti-PB script, but that doesnt seem to be the case, nor does it affect BD. After some investigation and lookin at map scripts, my only guess is that one of the scripts that handles those floating effects spinning is confusing it with the player too or something. Either way, running this with PB in PB's current state is near unplayable anyways on mid end PCs from what ive tested, but i dunno about high end PCs, so this may not be something that takes any kind of priority.

3 hours ago, popguy12 said:

Alright, someone brought this up in the PB server so i investigated a bit. Apparently, a second or so after starting the map, the player is teleported to one of those two Cyberdemon hole things with all the floating effects above them. At first i thought this was some anti-PB script, but that doesnt seem to be the case, nor does it affect BD. After some investigation and lookin at map scripts, my only guess is that one of the scripts that handles those floating effects spinning is confusing it with the player too or something. Either way, running this with PB in PB's current state is near unplayable anyways on mid end PCs from what ive tested, but i dunno about high end PCs, so this may not be something that takes any kind of priority.

While this feedback I'm sure will be interesting for Danlex to know, it's worth remembering that if a map is designed for an unmodded source port and there is incompatibility with a mod, then it is the responsibility of the mod author to implement a fix (if they wish).

If there is enough demand for this map to work on PB, I would recommend asking one of the PB devs to investigate what in their mod is causing the issue.

23 minutes ago, zombie_ryushu said:

Do you have any restrictions on re-use of your textures?

Most of this textures come from different texture packs which are free to use as long as you give credits to their respective authors.

You're also free to use the few ones that I made.