Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Danlex

Lullaby [1.2 Update - 10/14/23] +Low Specs version

6 hours ago, Danlex said:
Spoiler

Hey guys, guess what. This map crashes in the latest version of GZDoom :)

A few hours ago I got a message from @nobleflame letting me know about this, so big thanks to them.

It doesn't crash immediately after loading, it crashes a few second after the map starts, and the game doesn't show any error message, it just freezes and closes.

I don't know why this is happening, so if someone can help me I would really appreciate it.

This are our specs, in case you need them:

nobleflame's specs: i79700, RTX3070, 16gb RAM

my specs: i5-4460 @ 3.20GHz, 8gb RAM

I know it's been a while since this map was released, and some time ago I said that I wasn't planning to make updates to the map for "unspecified reasons"; but, since now I need to update it to fix this crash, I decided that I'll take this opportunity to also improve and fix other stuff.

Hopefully I will cover all the feedback that I received this 2 years <3

Also, just to add to this, this wasn’t a problem in version gzdoom 4.8.2. Something between them and the latest stable release broke the map.

Newer version of gzdoom ask that the .ini file is made portable. Might be something to do with it?

31 minutes ago, nobleflame said:

Newer version of gzdoom ask that the .ini file is made portable. Might be something to do with it?

I doubt it, if that were a problem it'd affect a lot more than one specific map.

I tried this (GZDoom 4.9.0, default config) and found that it crashed for me too. It seems to crash after going down the stairs at the beginning, but only when looking in certain directions; if on the other hand I face west it doesn't crash, and I can even fly over the platforms (with the fly cheat) and after entering the building I can look around freely without the game crashing. Also, it doesn't crash when using software or truecolor software rendering.

When it crashes, the terminal says "Segmentation fault," which is something that should not be happening in the source port, so if you haven't filed a bug report with the GZDoom devs, you should.

For the record, here are my specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

Core i7 920

9GB RAM

GTX 1070

Edited by Shepardus

2 hours ago, Shepardus said:

I doubt it, if that were a problem it'd affect a lot more than one specific map.

I tried this (GZDoom 4.9.0, default config) and found that it crashed for me too. It seems to crash after going down the stairs at the beginning, but only when looking in certain directions; if on the other hand I face west it doesn't crash, and I can even fly over the platforms (with the fly cheat) and after entering the building I can look around freely without the game crashing. Also, it doesn't crash when using software or truecolor software rendering.

When it crashes, the terminal says "Segmentation fault," which is something that should not be happening in the source port, so if you haven't filed a bug report with the GZDoom devs, you should.

Spoiler

For the record, here are my specs:

Windows 10 64-bit

Core i7 920

9GB RAM

GTX 1070

Yes I definitely see this too. Perhaps it doesn't like looking at the star 'teleporter' thing that takes you into the first arena (past the two hellknight guards)? 

Crashes on my 4.9.0 too... My specs are:

Windows 10 20H1 (64-Bit)

Intel Core i7-8700

16Gb RAM

GTX-970

Also I can add a little offtop that 4.9.0 broke HUD icons in one of my mods (they became really large for some reasons)...

I never tested in 4.9.0, but I just tried it in 4.10.0 and it did not crash for me. The FPS did go into single-digit once I started going down the stairs, but I'm not sure if this is in any way related.

I just tested it and yeah I'm having the same issue. The crash seems to be fixed but now there's huge fps drops that make the map unplayable :/

Interesting. Not sure what's going on here, but the crash is fixed. The fps tanks though. I still recommend sticking to an older build of GZDoom for better performance with this WAD.

Just for your information, I saw people complaining about this problem on 4.10.0 on this thread, so I brought it up with the devs on Discord. Here is a discussion that followed:

image.png.0936b339d6bcf91350200b33ffcb5e6d.png

Might be useful!

Thanks for letting me know about this!

I think I might just delete that whole portal since it's causing so many issues and it doesn't add that much to the visuals of the map to begin with.

I'll start working on an update soon.

Hi

As some of you noticed before, there has been a lot of weird stuff happening with this map since GZDoom updated to the 4.9.0 version. All of this stuff seemed to be related to a portal that I used in the starting area, so as I said in the previous post, I decided to delete that portal and share the map again.

BUT, I didn't update the map just to remove that portal, I also decided to use this opportunity to fix a lot of other problems that I never took care of.

First of all, I want to apology for doing this almost 2 years after the map's release. As a mapper, seeing others play my stuff and give feedback means a lot to me, and it obviously helps me a lot to improve, so I feel bad for throwing this map into a corner after the release and not touching it again until now, but as the phrase says, better late than never, right?

Here's a full list of the changes in v1.1

Spoiler

- Deleted a portal in the starting room that was causing a lot of issues.

- Made a lot of changes to the monster placement in the whole map.

- Increased the door delays from 1 second to 4.

*Hopefully this previous two changes will fix the annoying "door-camping" combat that the map had before.

- Added more health and armor.

- Now falling into the void damages you: 5% in skills 1-2, 10% in skill 3 and 15% in skills 4-5.

- Made some of the secrets slightly easier to find.

- Now you can't leave the first room of the castle if you haven't pressed the switch that also lowers the RL and PR (this is to prevent players from missing those weapons).

- Made changes to the architecture and monster composition of several arenas, to reduce the "circle-strafing to win" combat that the map had before.

- Added the "Block Sound" flag to a lot of linedefs to hopefully improve the performance a little bit.

- Now you can backtrack after the final fight.

- Replaced the secret invuln with a megasphere in skills 4-5. The invuln is still there in other skills.

- Now you can't rocket jump into the secret bfg and mega/invuln :) Go grab those keys!

- Replaced the plasma rifle earrape sound effect.

- Replaced the skybox of Map02.

- New Status Bar! I decided to change it because I don't like the ugly lazy recolor that I used before.

- Probably something else that I'm forgetting right now.

I also made a Low Specs version of this map! For those who never played or finished it because of how laggy it can get in some areas.

Keep in mind that this version is not supposed to run smoothly like butter in every PC out there, it's just meant to run smoother than the regular map.

DOWNLOADS:

Lullaby v1.1

Lullaby - Low Specs version

I gave 1.1 a quick try and can confirm the slowdown is completely gone. I have an old, old computer but the map seems to run very smooth now. I also tried finding what's changed with the removal of the troublesome portal, and I can't actually see any obvious difference with the way the map looks. I guess that's good news, if the problem is solved with minimal loss of whatever effect you were trying to achieve.

Thank you for releasing the update, I always find it touching when an author comes back years later still making fixes to a wad.

@Danlex Thanks for all of your work on this, Danlex. No need to apologise at all, mate! This map is absolutely excellent! Again, I really appreciate the changes you've made :) 

So the other day I was looking at the doomwiki article of this map and I noticed that something was added more than 3 weeks ago.

2056620271_Capturadepantalla2023-10-14123722.png.bfac10af4b3fb7d1a03ccf28803ed1e0.png

There was a bug that I didn't know about because it wasn't reported to me anywhere and instead it was just quietly added to the wiki page.

I'm writing this post just to let y'all know that I released a 1.2 version to fix this issue and also to make more optimizations to the Low Specs version of the map.

Yeah that's it. Those are the only 2 changes in this version.

Link is in the OP.

Have a nice day!

Btw, to whoever edits the doomwiki page this time: the description for how to get the second secret needs to get updated too; I changed the position of the teleporter in v1.1.

You don't need to return to the steps at the west anymore; now the corridor opens at your right after shooting the switch.

Damn, people - show some guts and report problems to mappers! Instead of describing obviously-very-fixable bugs on their projects' wiki pages as though they're inseparably set-in-stone aspects of a map's experience - they're very clearly not.

Mappers who are harder to get a hold of/who may have left the community may not respond to bug reports, of course, but this map only came out 2 years ago and Danlex has been active all throughout that time.

It's only talking to mappers! We don't bite!