Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Retro Dino

New members of Doom World, what brought you here?

Came here after being too lazy to sign up for the zdoom forums, found this place via a youtube video and decided to sign up, so far, i like the community.

I made an account in '05, made three barely legible posts about Doom 3, and then didn't post again for 16 years.

I've lurked a little bit in that time, mostly for tutorials or the historic threads doing deep dives into code, old wads, cut doom content, and iD alumni posts.

Posting here feels like I'm writing grafitti on the walls of a sacred reliquary. I'm scared a security guard is gonna tackle me to the ground any moment.

Actually I wanted to join a community project but I got depressed and never did it. 

Having been here for just under two years, I still consider myself a new member.

Short version: I was just starting to dip my toe in PC gaming, and wanted to find and play games that had a thriving modding community.

To elaborate:

Spoiler

There was always that mystique and legendary aura the revolved around the Doom community, and I finally picked up the original IWADS on a super sale from GOG. They sat on my virtual shelf for a few months as I became very confused, not understanding really what a source-port was or how to get it working to play the crazy things I'd see on YouTube every now and again.

That summer, I finally went searching for a tutorial and discovered it was vastly more simple than I thought.

In wanting to play Doom heavily modded to the point that it didn't look like Doom anymore (because "When in Rome"), I started to look for a mod that represented a corner of classic 3D FPS with which I identified, and found that bar none, I was huge Dark Forces fan. 

I loaded up Ultimate Doom with Xim's Star Wars mod, and played through to about the midpoint of episode III in one sitting. I was hooked after that, and, after finishing Doom and playing through Doom II and the Final Doom entries, endeavored to play at least one wad from every year of the Cacowards. Along the way, I picked up Heretic, Hexen and Strife, and I think Heretic remains my favorite IWAD of the lot.

I think there's a really pure creative drive within the Doom community that keeps me coming back. It's really cool how Doom remains such an accessible entry point for programming, game-design, and what I've gotten to experience first hand in the realm of music composition.

This is all, at least to some degree, art for art's sake, and I'm continually inspired by the grand projects people have seen to completion in their spare time, either alone, or in a vast collaboration with other artists sharing the same passion. I feel nothing but excitement when I visit this space and see all the new things people continue to develop.

I was originally on the discord and posted my WADs there but then I realised that discord is a bit of a poor place to post them and I also remembered that doomworld existed and well, the rest is history.

I've liked Doom ever since it came out but pretty much kept it to myself all those years.  Played my Dad's Doom and Doom II until the release of Final Doom.  Had the Collector's edition and probably watched the trailer for Doom 3 a few too many times.  That shit was mindblowing at the turn of the century.  I wore out Doom 3 along with the resurrection of Evil, and remember downloading every new version of the Classic Doom for Doom 3 mod with the snazzy music from Sonicclang.

Finally opened up to my friends about liking a super old game when they started playing Doom 2016 and started work on a classic wad for them.  After I had made it, I decided to watch all of Vargskelethor Joel's wad contest streams on youtube, and really felt like I missed out on a fun time with all the Arch-Vile memes, but that finally gave me the push to show my wad to people I didn't know on here, after which I tweaked and added to that wad, and plan on doing more now.