Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

What were your first thoughts on the BFG Edition? As well as the XBLA versions of the first two games.

Personally, I enjoy the BFG Edition for two main reasons.

1. It was my first exposure to classic Doom like...ever.

2. It was a competent port that added some sweet new content.

It's just a shame that you can't purchase the XBLA versions anymore, they still look really cool to me, since I never had a 360.

Edited by Warp

The BFG Edition was probably the first mostly competent modern port of classic Doom, and while it had a few technical issues, some of which were inherited from the Xbox port since it was built off of the same foundation, and castrated Wolfenstein maps, it apparently ran and felt good enough.

The Xbox version was average at best. Worse sound sampling, slower music, E1 sky everywhere in UDoom, glitchy sfx if played on a 360, bugged E4M1 making 100% kills and secrets impossible to obtain, and the list goes on. Compared to it, and in spite of its faults, the BFG Edition was a nice step in the right direction - and brought us NRFTL too.

19 minutes ago, seed said:

The BFG Edition was probably the first mostly competent modern port of classic Doom, and while it had a few technical issues, some of which were inherited from the Xbox port since it was built off of the same foundation, and castrated Wolfenstein maps, it apparently ran and felt good enough.

The Xbox version was average at best. Worse sound sampling, slower music, E1 sky everywhere in UDoom, glitchy sfx if played on a 360, bugged E4M1 making 100% kills and secrets impossible to obtain, and the list goes on. Compared to it, and in spite of its faults, the BFG Edition was a nice step in the right direction - and brought us NRFTL too.

Yeah, No Rest For the Living was the only real draw for me back then. I bought it wayyy back on my PS3 when I was younger then I moved onto PC, which has more Doom content than consoles will ever have, sad as that may be.

Random trivia: If you use doom.wad from the bfg edition to record demos, they can be played back with the original, the same in doom2, but the secret levels do desync

Now answering your question: I think the bfg edition is fine. It has some quirks, but it's still one of the many ways to play doom. I like the pills more. I never got to try the XBLA, but, like I said, it's another way to play.

One question: The xbla is the one that has the sewers level, right?

Edited by Lol 6

4 hours ago, Warp said:

Personally, I enjoy the BFG Edition for two main reasons.

1. It was my first exposure to classic Doom like...ever.

2. It was a competent port that added some sweet new content.

same man.

i had the BFG Edition for the PS3

I had BFG edition for xbox 360. Before that, my only experience with doom was with the GBA ports. You'd think that'd make it a gamechanger for me, but I could never get the hang of playing doom on an xbox controller.

12 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

One question: The xbla is the one that has the sewers level, right?

Yes, E1M10 Sewers for UDoom, and MAP33 Betray for Doom 2.

5 hours ago, seed said:

Yes, E1M10 Sewers for UDoom, and MAP33 Betray for Doom 2.

Right, but it was the (original)XBox version, the one which was included in Doom 3 CE and Resurrection of Evil, not the XBLA version. In the XBLA version, the XBox version of the WAD is included, and so the map and the switch which leads to that map in map02 is still in the game, but using the switch just restarts map02 instead of loading map33.

The PS3 version of BFG Edition was great just for the control alone. Playing a classic Doom port with a non-analog controller isn't fun. I pulled out the PS1 Doom a while back and immediately forgot it has no support for analog sticks, so performing some dodging maneuvers such as circle strafing is difficult. This was a issue with most circa console ports due to limited controls and likely affected how people approached Doom that didn't start on PC, as PC players can use a combination of the keyboard and mouse. The first Doom I played was the 32X port, and I can't imagine trying to play it on a Genesis six button pad with needing to actually hold down a button and us the D-pad to strafe.

I also enjoyed that it can be played in a 4:3 viewing aspect, similar to if you use a modern source port on PC and change the aspect. I don't have a proper converter for all my older consoles so if I play a classic Doom port on one I'm at the mercy of horizontally stretched screens.

20 hours ago, HEVSoldier_nova said:

same man.

i had the BFG Edition for the PS3

Ayyy, a man of culture.

But in all seriousness, I feel like the criticism that they're aren't fast monsters in the BFG edition is a little overblown. Like come on, who's really gonna use the BFG edition for Nightmare 100%

12 hours ago, Warp said:

Ayyy, a man of culture.

But in all seriousness, I feel like the criticism that they're aren't fast monsters in the BFG edition is a little overblown. Like come on, who's really gonna use the BFG edition for Nightmare 100%

It was probably a concern from the fact that it might have stayed broken from that point onward for good, which initially seemed correct as the Unity port initially inherited that bug too before it was finally fixed in a patch, along with the slowed down music, but otherwise I doubt anyone was seriously going to consider speedrunning the castrated version of the Wolf maps.

Never played the BFG edition, but I did play the XBOX version bundled with the Doom 3 Collector's Edition (Or is it called Limited Edition? I dunno) with my friend in Deathmatch (I bought him the game for his birthday) and weirdly enough, now the only "official" levels missing from the Unity ports are E1M10 and MAP33. (Not that they are great maps by any means, but I can appreciate MAP33 for trying out things and not being that bad)

19 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Never played the BFG edition, but I did play the XBOX version bundled with the Doom 3 Collector's Edition (Or is it called Limited Edition? I dunno) with my friend in Deathmatch (I bought him the game for his birthday) and weirdly enough, now the only "official" levels missing from the Unity ports are E1M10 and MAP33. (Not that they are great maps by any means, but I can appreciate MAP33 for trying out things and not being that bad)

Ye, it was the Doom 3 Limited Collector's Edition, which had "Sewers" and "Betray". Betray is the interesting one, in that it's still in the files for the BFG Edition on PC, but activating the secret that takes you to it, just resets Map 2.

On 2/17/2021 at 1:38 PM, Warp said:

Ayyy, a man of culture.

even without the fast monsters, Nightmare! still kicked my ass

17 minutes ago, HEVSoldier_nova said:

even without the fast monsters, Nightmare! still kicked my ass

Oh yeah, for sure. Which is why I didn't even bother with it the first time I played the BFG Edition. I went straight to HMP, then I tried Nightmare with my bro. Never again.

Doom Classic Complete on PS3 is why I used Chocolate as my daily driver for approximately a year, replacing ZDoom. When I wanted to play Boom compatible pwads again I tried out both PrBoom+ and EE. I liked EE much more, and it is now my daily driver. So there will always be a place in my heart for DCC. Especially since my Chocolate stint was when I decided to actually beat the original campaigns.

On 2/19/2021 at 2:23 PM, Roebloz said:

There's still Hell Gate, Hell Keep Jaguar/PSX, Twilight Descends, The Marshes, The Mansion, Club Doom, Redemption Denied and Extramap.wad missing and those are magnitudes more official than Sewers and Betray :p

Yes, even the unfinished map is more official xD

The gba official deathmatch maps are also missing but I think id doesn't even know they exist. 

36 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

There's still Hell Gate, Hell Keep Jaguar/PSX, Twilight Descends, The Marshes, The Mansion, Club Doom, Redemption Denied and Extramap.wad missing and those are magnitudes more official than Sewers and Betray :p

The gba official deathmatch maps are also missing but I think id doesn't even know they exist. 

Oh yeah I almost forgot those. I don't think that the PSX maps but the GBA deathmatch maps could very well be added again.

37 minutes ago, Devalaous said:

Tbh, I think id is kinda forgetting every other port of the game besides the 25th anniversary ports. I mean, they delisted the XBLA games because they wanted people to get the new ports. Though, I think that was Bethesda, not id. But it still sucks, since the demos are still up.

3 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Oh yeah I almost forgot those. I don't think that the PSX maps but the GBA deathmatch maps could very well be added again.

Honestly, I wonder how it would go if they patched the PSX exclusive maps into the Unity ports. Give more content to chew through, since pretty much everyone can play the game with their eyes closed.

6 hours ago, Roebloz said:

I have the PSX maps as an 8-map episode for GZDoom called No Consolation, it could be done technically. Bump it up to 10 if you include Sewers and Betray, but those two really don't match up in quality.

The PSX maps would lose a lot without the colored lighting, and the GBA maps are deathmatch only (and my guess the simpler construction in the maps would not look great on the PC) so they're not exactly prime targets for inclusion. Sewers and Betray were more a programmer easter egg including their childhood levels, so I don't consider them the same as the other added levels, and were removed for the recent ports.

41 minutes ago, sponge said:

The PSX maps would lose a lot without the colored lighting, and the GBA maps are deathmatch only (and my guess the simpler construction in the maps would not look great on the PC) so they're not exactly prime targets for inclusion. Sewers and Betray were more a programmer easter egg including their childhood levels, so I don't consider them the same as the other added levels, and were removed for the recent ports.

If you wish I can improve the Deathmatch Maps and make them more of a high quality. I think the Unity ports need some deathmatch-exclusive maps, and it would be the first time the GBA-exclusive DM maps would get re-released.

4 hours ago, Roebloz said:

If you wish I can improve the Deathmatch Maps and make them more of a high quality.

I can send you the GBA deathmatch maps if you want.

5 hours ago, sponge said:

They actually look fine without the coloured lighting, and two of them originally were id-made for the Jaguar port, so no coloured lighting there to start with :D

I was surprised by how fun they were to play together as an episode. I just wish it was 9 maps, not 8, for that traditional episode feeling. The biggest issue would be the secret maps; three of the eight are secret, so you have a very short campaign if you don't find the secret exit in Twilight Descends.

Anyway, thanks for your input :)

Eh, I gotta have to agree with sponge.

The PSX maps may have originally been done for other ports, Jaguar in particular but they were reused by others, and without the colored lighting and music they are just not the same. They're also way too easy if you play them PC Doom style.

I'd rather have a PSX Doom/Jaguar remaster instead, but now that we have PsyDoom, that's mighty fine for me anyway, especially since it's getting Vulkan support, I doubt a remaster would be so ambitious, all respect to id for Unity Doom, however. I just have different expectations, you could say.

6 hours ago, Wavy said:

I can send you the GBA deathmatch maps if you want.

I already have them thank you

I've been playing Doom on PC since 90's, so my only opinion on the ports is negative because they are censored. On the other hand, they were good for people who only played Doom on consoles before.