Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Question regarding forum rules

Since a couple of threads I took part in seemingly have been deleted and I do not want to cause any more trouble, I decided to familiarize myself with the forum rules. So far I have only come across this, but I do not know how much of it still holds.

What I would like to know for the moment is that in the case of a ban, is there a way to appeal? Not that I plan on getting banned myself, but on other forums, I have been able to reach out to moderators and get them to revert a ban placed on my account. Should I get banned unjustly or as the result of a misunderstanding, is there someone I can get in touch with?

6 hours ago, Rudolph said:

So far I have only come across this, but I do not know how much of it still holds.

I'm guessing all of it still holds. The admins & moderators are very active, and probably ensure the FAQ is current.

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Thanks, but if I am banned, then I assume I cannot message them this way, no?

Yes, you are quite correct. A conundrum, it is.

Best find out everyone's email addresses, so that you can use external means to contact them.

(Seems like a lot of work -- and worry -- on the hypothetical chance that you'll be banned. Unless you've had the experience. Just saying ....)

I’d say from my time here the big three rules are:

1. Don’t be a dick to other members (debates and disagreements are fine but just no person attacks etc.)

2. No Pr0n - well.. duh.

3. Don’t post things likely to cause nothing but division and arguments (I.e. discussing touchy political subjects or saying “my view on issue X is the correct one and anyone who disagrees is an drooling idiot” - again, kinda goes with dot point 1). This can be a bit more difficult though as it isn’t very black and white from what I have seen but I usually just do a quick “is it likely someone will find this offensive even if I don’t?” check before posting.

While I’m not a Mod and there might be other things that I haven’t now mentioned, I’d say if you stick to that you are unlikely to be banned without warning :-)

Hope that helps somewhat and don’t stress too much if you make a few small mistakes. We all do and just take notice of a strike as something to be mindful of in future :-D

10 hours ago, ReX said:

(Seems like a lot of work -- and worry -- on the hypothetical chance that you'll be banned. Unless you've had the experience. Just saying ....)

Well, as I said, I do have the experience. It's so easy to miscommunicate online and I reckon we're all humans; mistakes are bound to happen and people can learn from said mistakes... For example, I once got banned by an overworked moderator who reacted too harshly to what they perceived as an inappropriate post; in another case, I did get carried away, but over time, I realised what I have done and I wanted to apologize.

But hey, if y'all are telling me that I need not to worry, then I guess I won't!

Edited by Rudolph

1 hour ago, Rudolph said:

Well, as I said, I do have the experience. It's so easy to miscommunicate online and I reckon we're all humans; mistakes are bound to happen and people can learn from said mistakes... For example, I once got banned by an overworked moderator who reacted too harshly to what they perceived as an inappropriate post; in another case, I did get carried away, but over time, I realised what I have done and I wanted to apologize.

But hey, if y'all are telling me that I need not to worry, then I guess I won't!

One more useful tip from the tips and tricks section in general:

When a question is answered, report your first post and ask for a lock. This might prove useful when needed.

The only major rules I can think of are "don't be a massive douchebag" and "don't post anything that could get you banned from just about anywhere", which are mostly common sense. Also to be careful of everything you post. If anyone is bothering you on a personal level, ignore them entirely, never engage cause that will make things worse.

In other words, just be cool and don't seek out reasons to get banned, some people think it's easy to get banned in general somehow, but it really isn't - unless you regularly visit places you should steer away from -, that is, assuming you've not deserved it (repeatedly posting material which would get you banned virtually anywhere, excessive flaming/trolling, constantly "doomposting" just to increase your postcount, threatening people, posting warez or links to warez sites, etc).

Common sense as a general rule should be just enough. But I will have to ask this now too - since you've apparently got into trouble before, was paranoia somehow part of the reason you've started this topic? Because no-one here is "out to get you", and you might need to seek professional help if you do indeed feel that way.

The rules I try to abide by here and everywhere are:

1. Don't be a dickhead

2. No politics

Pretty simple, but obeying rule 1 is sometimes a challenge.

In the end, it boils down to "Don't be a dick". You really have to make an effort to be banned, so unless you're a colossal dick that shitposts/spams constantly and argues with people all the time you should be fine. A good discussion is always welcome, and the mods are pretty damn good at keeping the forums civil. So yeah, just don't be a dick.

And yes, politics are generally not welcome, because they devolve into people attacking each other. Keep it civil and you'll be fine. 

And I'll just add this: The Doomworld Forums have been the forums that I've been visiting the longest, 20 years at this point. And the people here don't just help with Doom issues, I've seen every question answered with sincere responses. If someone has an issue with their computer, or console, or videogame, boardgame, physical health, mental health, or anything, people respond. And it's hardly ever negative. It's a great community. So welcome aboard!

Edited by Jello

15 hours ago, Nevander said:

Pretty simple, but obeying rule 1 is sometimes a challenge.

Genital surgery is expensive y'know. :p

As long as you're not one of those fuckheads that can't shut up or not being creepy and constantly chasing others for no real good reason then we're all happy you're here, and yeah, no politics or culture adjacent discussions (This thread sort of counts as one but here we are) 

Edited by sluggard

yeah, the other day they deleted a post I had commented on, and on what seemed to be a pretty innocuous subject (not gonna repeat it here in case). And my comment in particular had some reactions and replies, but when I went to see those, the post was gone. Point is, I could never guess why they deleted such a post, and there was nowhere to ask why or what had happened (unless I made a post saying "hey, why did you guys delete that post about x" which seemed a terrible idea).

Before, there was post hell, so at least you could see the escalation of events that snowballed into the post damnation, but now it's just gone and mystery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: "Post hell" was a section for locked posts

Just use your common sense, remain civil in all discussions and don't be an asshole who picks fights or needlessly belittles others. Also avoid politics and shitposting in general.

Doomworld hates green frogs so don't post pepe

Also creating and maintaining up-to-date forum rules seems like it would be the easiest part about running a forum, and clearly in demand since threads about rules are  quite frequent or atleast too frequent here

13 hours ago, jupiter_ex said:

yeah, the other day they deleted a post I had commented on, and on what seemed to be a pretty innocuous subject (not gonna repeat it here in case). And my comment in particular had some reactions and replies, but when I went to see those, the post was gone. Point is, I could never guess why they deleted such a post, and there was nowhere to ask why or what had happened (unless I made a post saying "hey, why did you guys delete that post about x" which seemed a terrible idea).

Before, there was post hell, so at least you could see the escalation of events that snowballed into the post damnation, but now it's just gone and mystery ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

EDIT: "Post hell" was a section for locked posts

Hehehehe I see this all the time! Going to sleep at night only to see the “you don’t have permission to access this page” text when you wake up :-P

The ones that wig me out the most though are the threads you see that on something like “Do you like cute cuddly bunnies?” only to wake up in the morning to find them locked and wonder who and how the hell did someone managed to get a subject like that nuked?!? XD

I imagine it is just easier for the mods to nuke a thread from low earth orbit rather than remove individual comments unfortunately :-( That said, I can’t really blame them for it as imagine removing and monitoring every comment that might cross the line in a thread that has already had someone overstepped in it would be an absolute nightmare!