Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Source ports on Windows XP

Hey ya'll. So, I installed Windows XP on a virtual machine, and you can't have any Windows OS without Doom, so I was wondering: Are there any competent ports on the OS? I know my options are kinda limited, but any help is appreciated. Kinda torn between ZDoom and Prboom at the moment.

Skulltag, which granted hasn’t been maintained since 2010, is still hosted on its native site and runs on XP.

ZDoom works (I tested on my REAL WinXP computer) albeit the later versions might crash for no reason, Chocolate Doom still works. Otherwise you can always install the old WinDoom port that Microsoft was making before Doom95. (It has less problems and it will work from Windows 3.1 to Windows 10 out of the box! Sweet.) https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/historic/wdoom2

19 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Why?

Now now, older OS's running through VMs have their uses.

You could use zdoom, it's very complete and the download says it's compatible with XP (I'll leave a picture so you can understand me)

imagen.png.0250a95f6f253a8f70be29314720020e.png

You can also use crispy doom if you want a vanilla style gameplay, it supports XP (at least that's what I understood)

imagen.png.1201150844fac0e27afd287d74f23ad1.png

Edited by Lol 6

3 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Why?

I'm a bit of a oldschool freak, I like older operating systems and video games of yesteryear, and Windows XP was one of the systems I grew up using, so I decided to go back to it and give it a shot.

2 hours ago, Lol 6 said:

You could use zdoom, it's very complete and the download says it's compatible with XP (I'll leave a picture so you can understand me)

imagen.png.0250a95f6f253a8f70be29314720020e.png

You can also use crispy doom if you want a vanilla style gameplay, it supports XP (at least that's what I understood)

imagen.png.1201150844fac0e27afd287d74f23ad1.png

I had seen that ZDoom would still work, since I visit the homepage a lot, but I had also seen that the original Prboom is compatible with Windows 9X and above.

PrBoom, LZDoom, older builds of GZDoom and ZDoom, drfrag's other ZDoom ports, Eternity (or older builds if latest doesn't work), Chocolate and Crispy Doom, Skulltag, and Zandronum should all still work under XP.

You can pretty much try older versions of most popular ports and see what you get, I'd be surprised if most won't work.

Also, since the old ActiveX Windows Update & Microsoft Update websites were decommissioned by Microsoft in August last year, your unable to get any updates for Windows 2000, XP & Vista. Your only way of getting updates on Windows 2000, XP & Vista is WSUS Offline Updater, or in the case of Windows XP the Unofficial Service Pack 4.

Also, since the rise of HTML5 in web browsers and the removal of the controversial "consumer timebomb" feature from retail releases of Windows 8 & later, none of the activation servers for Windows XP & Vista (and in the near future Windows 7) at Microsoft work anymore unless you call Microsoft on phone. And it's unlikely that the controversial Windows Genuine Advantage service still works on Windows XP & Vista either.

Does dosbox run in XP? If that's the case you could try the original exe or BOOM. But, like I said, it's your choice :)

27 minutes ago, Wadmodder Shalton said:

Also, since the old ActiveX Windows Update & Microsoft Update websites were decommissioned by Microsoft in August last year, your unable to get any updates for Windows 2000, XP & Vista. Your only way of getting updates on Windows 2000, XP & Vista is WSUS Offline Updater, or in the case of Windows XP the Unofficial Service Pack 4.

Also, since the rise of HTML5 in web browsers and the removal of the controversial "consumer timebomb" feature from retail releases of Windows 8 & later, none of the activation servers for Windows XP & Vista (and in the near future Windows 7) at Microsoft work anymore unless you call Microsoft on phone. And it's unlikely that the controversial Windows Genuine Advantage service still works on Windows XP & Vista either.

I'm not using XP as my main system, hell no. I'm mainly using Win10, which I use for school and gaming. I only switched to XP so I could relive some fond memories

The last version of LZDoom (3.87c) still runs on XP but you'd need to get OpenAL32.dll from a previous release or the latest binary from the OpenAL-soft page.

Interesting ... some time when lockdown is over I will be getting a DEC dual EV56 AXP server from the late 1990s, with NT4 and the last RC of 2K for Alpha. It has only PCI slots and there can't be many PCI (not PCI-E) graphics cards with any form of OpenGL anyway. I will probably put Linux on it (either Gentoo or that old version of Debian) but it'd be nice to build some form of ZDoom for Windows on Alpha :)

2 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Interesting ... some time when lockdown is over I will be getting a DEC dual EV56 AXP server from the late 1990s, with NT4 and the last RC of 2K for Alpha. It has only PCI slots and there can't be many PCI (not PCI-E) graphics cards with any form of OpenGL anyway. I will probably put Linux on it (either Gentoo or that old version of Debian) but it'd be nice to build some form of ZDoom for Windows on Alpha :)

Voodoo 3, 4 or 5 cards are PCI cards, but i doubt that any (OGL) drivers for Windows on DEC Alpha exist. As far as i remember Alpha machines running Windows where pretty useless, if not running Windows NT 4 Server, and acting as one.

i tried the latest version of Eternity, but it doesn't work on XP at all. (both the standard 32-bit and non-SSE 2 version) what was the last version with XP support?

I even wonder about source ports for Windows NT 4.0, if not, then there wouldn't be any for Windows NT 4.0 unless you count DOOM95 as a native port for Windows NT 4.0, but nobody so far has even tried out DOOM95 on Windows NT 4.0.

On 2/18/2021 at 2:09 PM, seed said:

PrBoom, LZDoom, older builds of GZDoom and ZDoom, drfrag's other ZDoom ports, Eternity (or older builds if latest doesn't work), Chocolate and Crispy Doom, Skulltag, and Zandronum should all still work under XP.

You can pretty much try older versions of most popular ports and see what you get, I'd be surprised if most won't work.

since chocolate and crispy work, probably Doom Retro, too.

It would be interesting to test it.

32-bit Eternity devbuilds work on XP, as do all major releases. They didn't for a while, but I fixed that the other day. I didn't bother changing it for 64-bit because 64-bit XP was weird and nobody had it and if your machine is legacy enough to run XP then you probably don't have 64-bit.

10 hours ago, Sir Hattington said:

I'm pretty sure that if you are using a 32-bit version of Windows XP you can run the original MS-DOS executables natively so you would not need a source port.

That holds true for very old versions of XP only, I think, like the original RTM or something.

And the phrasing is accurate. You could run them on XP once, but that's all you could do, they didn't work correctly anymore at that point, having either broken music or broken sound as a whole.

Besides, I see little reason in doing this apart from nostalgia, that will just limit you to vanilla wads. An actively maintained port is a much better option all around, even an older version of it.

22 hours ago, seed said:

Besides, I see little reason in doing this apart from nostalgia, that will just limit you to vanilla wads. An actively maintained port is a much better option all around, even an older version of it.

^This. Now I understand that you are talking about running the MS-DOS version on WinXP, but I will go as far as saying that using a WinXP virtual machine itself to play Doom (when there are variety of Doom ports that support modern OS) is itself nothing more than for nostalgia or curiosity sakes.

@Warp Do note that with WinXP, you are limiting yourself to older ports with less features and less support for modern wads. Not only that, but with also far more hassle (starting the virtual machine and then getting to play) and far worse performance too due to the overhead of virtual machine.

On 2/18/2021 at 6:19 PM, MFG38 said:

Now now, older OS's running through VMs have their uses.

Not much use for playing Doom though :p

Edited by ReaperAA

They ran well on win95, win98 and winME. For NT (XP) you could use VDMSound to get sound but it was not the only issue, it's not worth.

Besides virtual machines are not usually good to play games and DOS applications never ran natively on NT (you'd be using a virtual machine inside a virtual machine).

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Not much use for playing Doom though :p

Or any game honestly.

Revisiting some old software, the OS itself, testing/breaking something or whatever, sure, but gaming is just overkill. Even DOSBox will serve you better here.

I know that Valve remedied Wine's issue on compatibility with DirectX/Direct3D versions newer than 9 in the late-2010s with their Proton API bundle for Linux on Steam.

As far as I know, I don't think that PCem, VMWare, QEMU, Bochs or Oracle are spending their resources on implementing Valve's Proton APIs to their Virtual Machine software, probably due to fears of violating Microsoft's guidelines on emulation of DirectX/Direct3D versions newer than 9.