Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egregor

Endquest - episode for Heretic

43 minutes ago, MattFright said:

I was planning to give this a shot (again) and record some demos, then post them here w/ my thoughts relative to the first version i played (the first version you posted here). Do you think it'd be more helpful for feedback if i wait for that version, then? 

Almost certainly! With the exception of Vordakk's stunningly beautiful work on E1M5 and E1M8  this episode has evolved so much that most feedback from anything short of maybe b05 will be outdated. I believe the next update will be within the week! I'd recommend holding off on any feedback until then.

Alright, giving this a play right now through DSDA-Doom since it now supports Heretic, smite-meister difficulty, wand starts. I screwed up demo recording though, so instead here's just my thoughts i guess, which i hope can be helpful since i've followed the wad through a few different versions:

E1M1:

Spoiler

Huh, i do remember something thematically similar to that start from the first version. I did notice that the starting areas were all brand new to smooth out the progression to the original map (which i remember being... e1m3? e1m4? somewhere around the middle anyways).

The map used to be pretty fun to begin with and i feel like the start does make it flow a bit better, though between v05 and v06 i feel like you nerfed it a biiiit too much for a 1st map (and i miss the firemace :P). Ammo overall felt very tight, and i can't tell if it has to do with actual lack of ammo or just the fact that most of the nerfs you did were removals of offensive items, or perhaps both. Also, by the end of it, i found all secrets and got all kills...except for one that i couldn't find. I'm guessing it was some enemy stuck somewhere out of bounds? That didn't seem like the kind of map to get disciples or gargoyles stuck in weird places anyways. Honestly, take this as just my opinion, but i'd love to see the original e1m1 restored and this map restored to its original position (at least as of this point in my playthrough)

Also, found this little visual glitch that i found in v05 and is still present in v06:

doom01.png

E1M2:

Spoiler

I also remember this map, i just don't remember exactly where it used to be in progression (therefore i can't tell if it got moved around or not). I just remember this being the least memorable map in the set by a long shot. Pretty obscure secrets, generally confusing progression and pretty anti-climatic ending. I don't really know what feedback to give here other than that unfortunately.

I also found a few graphical glitches around in this map, by the way.

doom02.png

doom00.png

E1M3:

Spoiler

I remember having a lot of fun with this one! On my playthrough of the first version i played on black plague (yes, the whole thing was completable in black plague, and it was absurdly fun), and this map was such a rush with enemies firing at you from every angle. Thankfully, even in smite-meister this map somewhat captures that feeling, so i had a lot of fun here once again! I unfortunately don't remember many of the SPECIFICS about the first version so i can't really comment about any changes (i just couldn't clearly notice any).

All in all this map feels like it's in a really good place balancewise and visually for the most part. I'd only either replace some of the crossbow ammo with some firemace or dragonclaw ammo, because for the amount of ghosts and disciples in this map, it gets to a point where you just have to kill them with the wand or waste a tome of power on your crossbow to dispatch them.

I didn't find any graphical glitches in this beautiful map thankfully! However, i did find a pretty bad...softlock? Thinking back i'm not sure it really was a softlock, but even if it wasn't, a more intuitive way to go around/back up once this bridge raises and you happen to accidentally fall to the other side of it would be really appreciated.

doom03.png

E1M4:

Spoiler

I'm so glad that previous E1M1 wasn't scrapped! While at the end of the day it's your choice, i feel like this was the PERFECT introduction to this wad. It was very impressive visually, had a REALLY good flow and layout that i rarely ever got lost in, of course has a very limited arsenal but at no point did i feel "oh my god when am i gonna get a dragonclaw or hellstaff??", and its balancing probably serves as a pretty good "benchmark" for people to decide early on whether they should play on smite-meister or lower, given my experience with the original maps at least.

So i don't really have any feedback to give here aside from that i feel like the map is perfect as is (position in the episode aside)! It's so much fun that it really got me hooked the first time i played Endquest, and despite the weird pacing of the new map order, this has made me want to spend the rest of the night playing the rest of the wad! Also i don't remember this area so it might be a new addition, but i really appreciate that this whole area was created just for the sake of immersion, i absolutely love it for that

doom06.png

E1M5:

Spoiler

What a gorgeous map! This one was also a loooot of fun, really good midi as well, layout felt very intuitive and combat was really fun. Secrets seemed a bit obscure though, as i didn't find a single one after about 23 minutes of playing and exploring. I'd say it's perfectly fine as is, really fun power fantasy map. But if you want it to be harder, i'd recommend rebalancing the distribution of items (i felt like there were too many quartz flasks and one too many tome of powers). Ammo balancing however was perfect! I was made to switch weapons pretty often but not to the point of obnoxiousness of having to crossbow ghosts and disciples.

Unfortunately, not even this beautiful map was free of graphical glitches :P

doom07.png

Also, i found a pretty easy to get into softlock thinking it was a secret, accessible by strafing onto that ledge with the barrels. You might wanna block it off with impassable lines to prevent people from getting stuck out of bounds.

doom08.png

doom09.png

E1M6:

Spoiler

I'll be completely honest, i didn't enjoy this one at all. I can see a lot of attention put into detail, and actual effort at level design, but none of what's here clicks. Way too many enemies, way too little ammo, weapons far too sparse, barely any items whatsoever (i don't think i saw a single tome of power? despite the dozens of iron liches). I'm not sure what map was removed to make room for this... But i'm honestly not a fan of this change.

I'd like to see the map this replaced put back, but if you really want to stick to this one, you need to streamline progression. Most enemies here are completely trivial (i didn't bother with most of them), and the ones that aren't, aren't even worth engaging with because you don't have any good weapons, and you're always able to just run away. Another thing, though maybe a nitpick, is that this doesn't feel like it'd fit with the maps in this set even with gameplay fixed, with how abstract it is in comparison to all of those immersive ones.

E1M7:

Spoiler

Another gorgeous map, and also very memorable from my first time playing the first version, especially with that super atmospheric start and the spooky minotaur jumpscare. The fights were all pretty memorable, fun, and the map was super immersive and fun to explore like the best of the best in this wad.

Two things i had a big issue with back then and still do now, though, are that there are barely any items early on (where you really need them the most), especially time bombs and quartz flasks. Additionally, there's veeery little health around the map from what i've seen. I looked it up in the editor and there were about 70-ish crystal vials, yet i was always running out of health when playing it, even despite having the advantage of knowing the map pretty well now and being pretty decent at the game.

I like to take my time with games nowadays, so i've played this for long enough that it's getting pretty late for me... So i'll get to E1M8 and E1M9 tomorrow! I remember having a lot of fun with E1M8 despite being pretty clearly unfinished in that first version, and E1M9 was a pretty good gimmicky level that i thought just needed some prettifying around the outskirts to fit in with the other maps. When i played that first version i thought it was already pretty solid and fun all around, and only E1M7, E1M8 and E1M9 needed some work... Either way i'm excited to see how this turns out! Despite a few major changes i found kinda questionable, i still maintain that this is cacoward material!

Edited by MattFright

@MattFright: Thank you for your interest, playthrough, and feedback. These notes are helpful and I'll try to implement improvements based on them for b07. Were you playing continuously or 'wand start'? For testing and balance purposes 'wand start' is definitely recommend.

*Okay, this has been going on long enough... how the hell do I hide my content?? Everyone else has been doing it and I don't know how and I've been too affraid to ask. Anyone willing to PM me some instructions?

E1M1: Regarding map placement; while this episode is considered a compilation of 'wand starts' I decided to order them based on a combination of sector count and enemy count with the smallest first. I recognized that E1M4's row boat opener felt classic and I tried to replicate it's thematic charm for E1M1, but I also wanted to ease players into the episode w something lighter than E1M4.

The same goes w the difficulty here. I wanted the opener to have the least ammount of difficulty to the set, but I may have over-compensated in this regard? Also consider that with each secret the level will become consecutively easier, and you got all the secrets! Maybe I should nerf the advantages the secrets give the player to keep this one feeling more balanced? Also I have never seen that visual glitch there before, but I did recently edit that area...

E1M2: I've been aware of the 1st glitch but have never seen that 2nd one. Hmm, I was aware that this one had some confusing layout issues as well as the ending being underwhelming, which is why I overhauled the ending making it larger and more epic... I guess I didn't go far enough. Yeah, I'll have to brainstorm a way to bring some intrigue here because I agree this level is still kind of lacking.

E1M3: Good tip on the ammo here! I don't believe there is a soft lock here but maybe I could make it more accessible somehow?

E1M4: Yes, this map is one of the strongest of the set, and it is quite well balanced. While it does have a fantastic opening it's a bit bigger than the first 3, which is the main reason it's placed here in the episode.

E1M5: Regarding the graphic glitch: Are you considering the lamp cutting into the stone a glitch? Those never sit level w surfaces when at eye level. I believe it is part of the way the Heretic resources were included. A untextured pedistal work around MIGHT be possible. I'll give it a try. Another good find w getting out of bounds. That'll need to get fixed for sure.

E1M6: This was always the map here, or at least it has been here since b02. I think I agree with you that this map's gameplay is probably the most rocky, and it doesn't help that I was mid-gameplay-edit when I created b06. I guess it shows... I like the grandeur of this level but it does make meaningful encounters much harder to achieve. Right now easy has the best balance. I fear I'll have to rebuild this one's gameplay entirely from scratch.

I look foward to the rest of your feedback!

On 9/12/2021 at 1:45 AM, Egregor said:

Were you playing continuously or 'wand start'?

Thought about clarifying this but i guess i edited the post after you've read it heh. I did all maps on wand start for both playthroughs.

Regarding map placement; while this episode is considered a compilation of 'wand starts' I decided to order them based on a combination of sector count and enemy count with the smallest first. I recognized that E1M4's row boat opener felt classic and I tried to replicate it's thematic charm for E1M1, but I also wanted to ease players into the episode w something lighter than E1M4.

The same goes w the difficulty here. I wanted the opener to have the least ammount of difficulty to the set, but I may have over-compensated in this regard?

My reasoning was that E1M4 set the tone a lot better and the difficulty didn't necessarily have to be the lowest (non linear difficulty progression is a lot of fun, too!). Also i felt E1M1 was a lot harder actually, at least past all the nerfs. If you want to keep it in that spot I'd probably revert the changes you did in b06 because they made it harder than the few following levels. I didn't find it too easy in b05 anyways, if anything i didn't really think anything had to be changed at that point.

Regarding the graphic glitch: Are you considering the lamp cutting into the stone a glitch?

If you look closely there's a HOM effect to two surfaces in that screenshot (missing texture?). I guess it wasn't as obvious looking as i thought in a still image :P

Edited by MattFright

Didn't get to play the last two maps yesterday because some other stuff got in the way, but now i'm back!!

E1M8:

Spoiler

This one i've got some mixed feelings on. There's a lot new here that i like, and a lot new here that i absolutely despise. But let me start with the smaller things first!

The start (pre-yellow key) was a tooon of fun, HOWEVER. I did find that there were way too many saberclaws just bodyblocking you from key locations, which didn't do much good for the pacing. After a lot of practice i was trying to just go from place to place, killing the most threatening enemies around... But in front of every important weapon there were tons of saberclaws bodyblocking me and generally disrupting the flow, forcing me to slow down for no fault of my own. At the bridge way further on in the map, there were ssooo many weird teleporters everywhere? There were iron liches and maulotaurs teleporting in and out of the bridge constantly, confusing me to no end and messing with me in not so fun ways. Additionally, after that battle on the bridge i quickly ran out of ammo for everything but my phoenix staff.

Now the positive! I noticed that the final arena was pretty heavily overhauled in very good ways (for the most part, more on that later)! I liked how hectic it was, and that arena behind the throne with the flashing lights was incredibly intense in the best possible ways.

Now the... broken? I say that with a question mark because i don't know how much of it was intentional, but for some reason there were weird wind currents everywhere on this map. There was one on the bridge, but also behind the bridge (where the golems were hiding, on the opposite side of the bridge from the lich), and weirdest of all one right in front of the throne. Also, i found this guy stuck on one side of the exit room:

doom10.png

Well i think i should also give feedback on the use of D'sparil here. The first time i played this map, i found it most memorable for the set-pieces, having you initially encounter D'sparil on the bridge and fight him for a while there, only for you to kill his serpent and him fleeing away. But... For some reason that got completely scrapped here? I really really hope you can put it back the way it was, because that was such a creative and fun use of D'sparil, and also padded out the pacing of the map a bit by letting you take out his first phase around the middle of the map, while letting plenty of enemies roam around his arena so that you're not just playing hide and seek with D'sparil, but actually being challenged while fighting him. Yes, this does mean that the exit room wouldn't retain its current place in progression, but honestly, i feel like it'd fit nicely after you kill D'sparil. There's no real need to close the door behind the player since it's a death wish to go back with how many iron liches there are, and the teleporters could be replaced with switches (since going for those before dealing with the liches would also be a death wish).

Speaking of the final arena, here's 2 MAJOR issues i had with how it was changed: There are 4 too many maulotaurs. Way too many. Both for the amount of ammo they take to kill (even cheesing them with the tomed gauntlets i almost completely ran out of ammo before the end of the map) and because of how boring it is to fight that many one right after the other. And regarding D'sparil, the teleporting spot in that exit room is really obnoxious and does a gigantic disservice to the flow of the final fight, by making you check that room constantly instead of how it'd work in the previous version: you'd run around the middle of the arena looking for him, them go down one of either side that he teleported to if he wasn't just at the throne or at the middle.

E1M9:

Spoiler

Yep! This one is just as fun as i remember, also still short and sweet. I especially love all the new additions and changes. However, i had no troubles because i already knew exactly what to do and what to expect, which means i was able to use the wings of wrath without waste, unlike a new player's first few run through this map. Furthermore, i actually ran out when hunting for secrets and trying to get 100% kills, so i believe adding two wings per landmark would help with both of those problems. Otherwise, like i said before, great map!

MattFright, about M8
D'sparil is an additional difficulty for the map authors, because when he dies he kills all monsters on map, this must always be taken into account. D'sparil actually is a weak boss if you know his behavior well, it must always be protected by other monsters. If map have D'sparil, then all an experienced player needs to do - is get to him and kill him, that's it - map is beaten, don't even need to kill the rest of the monsters. If D'sparil is on the bridge (as you remember) then this will mean, that map will end on the bridge, because there is a very high probability that player will successfully catch him and kill him, D'sparil will not even be able to teleport to his special spawn points.

In current final not necessary kill all Maulotaurs, they just control part of the map and protect the spawn points of the main boss and do not allow to player move calmly, where he wants. A stuck monster (from your screenshot) - is there on purpose to increase the chance that player will find those doors and teleports behind them, wind was added on purpose, everything you don't like on the map - added on purpose, oh. Wind: in my opinion this is very interesting and funny feature in Heretic engine, I do not understand why it is so little used by map authors, I do not agree with that! heh

M8 is made and balanced be very difficult on purpose, I'm not even sure that this map is possible beat on skill-5 in realtime attempt, but I do not think that this is bad, on the contrary - it is good.

Egregor
I think, it will be better if you take the old version (ENDQUEST_v9.0B_20180816.wad) and make your new final on M8, two people played and don't like my variant. Because the current map contains some technical details that are focused on this particular ending, that you are tortured to search / understand and remove them. For example, I have there something like speedrun protection, when part of the monsters will teleport from the beginning and central map areas - in the final area, if player tries to ignore them and rush, heh

16 minutes ago, PVS said:

If D'sparil is on the bridge (as you remember) then this will mean, that map will end on the bridge, because there is a very high probability that player will successfully catch him and kill him, D'sparil will not even be able to teleport to his special spawn points.

How so? I thought that even using the powered up phoenix staff or gauntlets he can still easily teleport away...

A stuck monster (from your screenshot) - is there on purpose to increase the chance that player will find those doors and teleports behind them

When i say stuck i really mean stuck, inside geometry to be specific. Couldn't attack the player, couldn't move, couldn't do anything. Unlike the one at the opposite side, which is why i pointed that one out specifically :)

everything you don't like on the map - added on purpose, oh. Wind: in my opinion this is very interesting and funny feature in Heretic engine, I do not understand why it is so little used by map authors, I do not agree with that! heh

M8 is made and balanced be very difficult on purpose

I was sure a lot of it was there on purpose. I'm giving feedback in case that intention was misguided (Which i do think it was in a lot of ways. I don't think enemies unpredictably teleporting around or wind in a place where you can't tell should have wind is a good decision for any map) in hopes things can be improved. Wind can be an interesting mechanic for sure, but my point never was "don't put any wind in your maps". And i never thought M8 was too difficult. Things i pointed out as problems like too many maulotaurs in the final fight aren't a difficulty problem, but more of a "i don't want to repeat the same thing for 5 minutes" problem.

Hello, I played your wad in crispy-heretic, skill 4, wand starts. First of all, sick episode, loved the huge attention to exquisite architecture and plenty unreachable areas for very cool vistas. And the action-packed gameplay with moments of full gadget usage or pure pressure via early power scarcity were appreciated, plus a host of great midis, kudos for achieving a complete fun experience. 

As for specific issues/downs:

Spoiler

E1M1

- It seems one gargoyle (thing 756) could never see me and thus I missed a kill. 

- Skybox glitch going on here.

- Four shields is a bit too much, I left at least a couple untouched.

E1M2

- Minor glitch here.

- Floating barrel

- Minor misaligned tex (same room as in first glitch).

- Watch out for fliers in monster closet, because this can happen (two stuck gargoyles).

- Crossbow ammo appears in excess in the cave section, I left at least two big stacks behind, plus several single arrows from dead monsters.

- Not sure if there was any way to go back from the final area, not a big deal but perhaps unintended?

- One of your gargoyles passed out drunk in front of a door... ;P

E1M3

- Sector 592 is flagged secret, but it's thin sticks so you can't register them without jumping/flying. 

- The disciples at the YK may need to teleport sooner, because I nearly missed them completely after grabbing the key if I didn't hear something spawning.

- Minor suggestion, the bridge to the exit could use a lift action - cuts some backtrack in case you fell or jumped off.

E1M5

- You can easily snipe this iron lich from here (automap view), since it doesn't move at all for some reason.

E1M6

- This secret area only has pods and two golems, so it's basically empty atm (the version in Cacowad's blasphemous had an egg iirc)

- The pool of lava in the east side loses its damaging properties after the power cut, not really a problem but more of a side effect.

- Would suggest adding lift properties to the pole for the secret exit - once it's found there's no point in forcing a long way back to it in case you drop off.

E1M9

- Might suggest adding an extra pair of wings on lower skills, as it's tricky already going blind without a plan. The current amount is about enough if you know what you're doing, maybe 4 are good though I'm unsure because I typically go for max scores and I needed the five for that. I actually had to DNF once, the last pair was in the exit section and it's unreachable without flying. For a secret map, balance on S-M is fine imo.

E1M7

- This warrior in the northernmost room remains stuck unless I shoot him.

- Exit bars broke after pushing the switch, and one of them showed a HOM; there was no way out of the room either.

- Apparently three iron liches never spawned anywhere, so I assume the corresponding setup broke at some point. 

E1M8

- There's a whole section outside of the map I believe you can't reach without noclip. It has a secret so I'm guessing it's unfinnished?

- The d'sparil fight is hard to judge, but I wasn't a fan: starting by a large pack of ophidians behind a block line, which meant there was hardly any danger. I suppose the maulotuars exist for control, and knowing that they'll die to d'sparil's death means you don't need to grind the five one after the other, but the ones in the eastern and exit rooms were actually pointlessly stuck in their places, since there was no excuse to use those rooms for anything during the fight. The teleporting phase from d'sparil is generally the tedious part and this was no exception - him struggling to move around in the cramped spaces might sound in the player's favor, but in my case I had to go check every single room every single time because he'd be teleporting like a maniac even just from seeing me... so in the end I don't know what to think of it, I see that d'sparil fights aren't anywhere simple at all to design. I do feel like the spawning spot in the exit room should go, along with the maulotaur in it, and seal the room until d'sparil dies, because fighting him from the stairs is ugly (for a boss encounter). This is perhaps the only "letdown" of the set, I had no problems with everything else.

I will give this a thorough play through in Sprinkled Heretic and I'll record demos too so it is easy to see any issues / bugs that happen.

ENDQUEST - The best Heretic wad I've EVER seen!! And here I thought this game is hopeless and there won't be such good looking wads on par with Icebound. Tested a bit on Crispy Heretic. Didn't stumble on the usual annoyances so far.

So on E1M2 this enemy cannot see me at all, it looks like it is clipping into another or into an object?

not_seen.jpg.7bcc78034ca91739c1d5ee9b9016a46f.jpg

Also it seems very unbalanced to me, a lot of the times I run out of ammo and have to switch back to the staff.  It is incredibly difficult :)

Endquest v08 update bump!

Screenshot_Heretic_20210920_110727.png.17cff104c880e715e25eb9c27ca80826.png

Blue Key @E1M6 "Fire and Ice"

Edited by Egregor

This looks great! However, when I loaded it up to look around the maps a bit before starting my actual playthrough, I did find that two of the maps don't work on Crispy Heretic. E1M4 and E1M6 both crash due to having unknown textures on certain linedefs. Also, the boat sails at the start of E1M4 crash Crispy Heretic due to having multi-patch midtextures. 

I'll let you know if I find any other issues after I do my proper playthrough, which I'm really looking forward to!

Edited by Fiendish

47 minutes ago, Fiendish said:

This looks great! However, when I loaded it up to look around the maps a bit before starting my actual playthrough, I did find that two of the maps don't work on Crispy Heretic. E1M4 and E1M6 both crash due to having unknown textures on certain linedefs. Also, the boat sails at the start of E1M4 crash Crispy Heretic due to having multi-patch midtextures. 

I'll let you know if I find any other issues after I do my proper playthrough, which I'm really looking forward to!

Thanks for letting me know. There are some random textures loaded into unseen midtex due to some copy/paste shenanigans cross contaminated with me using the builder in other doom projects with custom resources. I'll look into this issue and post a hotfix if I solve it. My suggestion, for b094, is to either skip those levels (E1M4, E1M6) in Crispy Doom or play them in GZdoom or Zdoom.

4 minutes ago, Egregor said:

or play them in GZdoom or Zdoom.

DSDA should be another working (demo compatible) alternative...Unless something broke since last time i playtested the mapset.

Egregor, the creator of this set asked me to play this one, so I did with Walpurgis. I had it in my list for a while but never managed to get around to it. This is Maps 1 and 3, because the video of Map 2 got corrupted unfortunately. Check it out:

It's got a rather labyrinthine quality to it, with long levels and lots of monster closets (lol). But it looks gorgeous.

Thanks for this @eharper256! This looks like a lot of fun with Walpurgis! I should mention that it looks like you are playing an older version of Endquest here, perhaps v094? I also didn't hear the custom MIDI tracks, but instead those from the original IWAD during your play. Perhaps this is due to your MOD? Regardless, thanks for posting this!

24 minutes ago, Egregor said:

Thanks for this @eharper256! This looks like a lot of fun with Walpurgis! I should mention that it looks like you are playing an older version of Endquest here, perhaps v094? I also didn't hear the custom MIDI tracks, but instead those from the original IWAD during your play. Perhaps this is due to your MOD? Regardless, thanks for posting this!

Ah, I didn't realise b102 was out, oops. As you can tell, I grabbed it in June time when you last updated.

And music is just because I didn't take off Xeotroid's Heretic remixes from my Heretic load-order in my ini. Oops.

Endquest final-release candidate update!

Screenshot_Heretic_20220901_205336.png.c4945eb805515b426c2e67fee252f126.png

Edited by Egregor

5 minutes ago, Egregor said:

Endquest pre-release candidate update!

Screenshot_Heretic_20220901_205336.png.c4945eb805515b426c2e67fee252f126.png

You're so damn good at capturing that heretic feeling when I look at these screenshots. Now I'd love to look at the sights but I have a feeling a lot of nitrogolem will try to stop me.. ;)

9 minutes ago, Shanoa said:

You're so damn good at capturing that heretic feeling when I look at these screenshots. Now I'd love to look at the sights but I have a feeling a lot of nitrogolem will try to stop me.. ;)

Nitrogolem sniper spam was a major complaint I got during play-testing. I haven't removed ALL of them, but I did remove about half of the nitro-golems (see change-log). Keep in mind the difficulties have been implemented so I encourage you to try it at whichever setting suits you best. Don't forget Heretic's setting "quicken" for Mode of The Gods. Rocket-launcher front-end has a built in "no-monsters" setting that I (honestly, often) use to just do a sight-seeing walk-through of levels.

1 minute ago, Egregor said:

Nitrogolem sniper spam was a major complaint I got during play-testing. I haven't removed ALL of them, but I did remove about half of the nitro-golems (see change-log). Keep in mind the difficulties have been implemented so I encourage you to try it at whichever setting suits you best. Don't forget Heretic's setting "quicken" for Mode of The Gods. Rocket-launcher front-end has a built in "no-monsters" setting that I (honestly, often) use to just do a sight-seeing walk-through of levels.

Ah well, I've been clearing up some of my DOOM "backlog" (if there is such a thing) so I didn't see those Nitrogolems mentionned but I think I'll indulge in some Heretic so, might as well try the updated release link. c:

Final Release thread bump! Download link in the OP. Feedback, demos, and videos encouraged. I love to watch other people play through my maps. Thank you everyone!

Misc info I forgot to add in the text file:

-Final version is v116

-wand/fresh start for each level strongly encouraged

-no jump or crouch, free look strongly encouraged

Hi Egregor,

First, I would like to say that I am happy to see that you are still mapping for Heretic and that you continue to have passion for this great game!

That said, I must admit that this "release" has taken me by surprise, and to be honest you have me at a loss here.  I am definitely a bit confused by the sudden release of my level E1M7 "Sorcerers' Enclave", as well as other levels that I co-authored, without my permission or even letting me know as a courtesy.  I also see that someone (presumably yourself) has made alterations to my Sorcerers' Enclave map (and perhaps also my mapped sections of other levels which I co-authored) without my consent, and have then released this in your final version of the wad.  I also appear to be credited as having contributed to the "Endquest Title Theme", which I assume is some sort of music or midi file.  I have never composed any music in midi format, and honestly I wish I knew how.  So I'm not sure how I contributed there, but perhaps I did somehow, as it has been many years (seven?) since I last touched this project.

My collaboration on this wad was done with DeathEvokation, yet I do not see his name credited anywhere here.  He was my main and really only point of contact on this wad, and my assumption was that any progress or decisions made on this wad would be his alone (as he was the project lead) and would be communicated to me by him.  Thus, you can imagine my confusion upon seeing that this level set has been released without any attempt to contact me or fill me in on what has transpired since I last worked on this project.

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience.  I'm definitely not someone who takes myself too seriously, and I am honestly trying to assume positive intent here, but at the same time I do feel a bit weird and uncomfortable with the fact that my work has been altered and released without my consent or awareness.  I hope you understand.

-Stormwalker

I seriously need to get off my ass and start playing these awesome wads, I keep downloading one after the other and never play them; next thing I know I have a shitload of them waiting for me for months. God, I fucking hate this age... I used to play nonstop years ago. 😫☹️😒😩😟😢

3 hours ago, Stormwalker said:

Hi Egregor,

First, I would like to say that I am happy to see that you are still mapping for Heretic and that you continue to have passion for this great game!

That said, I must admit that this "release" has taken me by surprise, and to be honest you have me at a loss here.  I am definitely a bit confused by the sudden release of my level E1M7 "Sorcerers' Enclave", as well as other levels that I co-authored, without my permission or even letting me know as a courtesy.  I also see that someone (presumably yourself) has made alterations to my Sorcerers' Enclave map (and perhaps also my mapped sections of other levels which I co-authored) without my consent, and have then released this in your final version of the wad.  I also appear to be credited as having contributed to the "Endquest Title Theme", which I assume is some sort of music or midi file.  I have never composed any music in midi format, and honestly I wish I knew how.  So I'm not sure how I contributed there, but perhaps I did somehow, as it has been many years (seven?) since I last touched this project.

My collaboration on this wad was done with DeathEvokation, yet I do not see his name credited anywhere here.  He was my main and really only point of contact on this wad, and my assumption was that any progress or decisions made on this wad would be his alone (as he was the project lead) and would be communicated to me by him.  Thus, you can imagine my confusion upon seeing that this level set has been released without any attempt to contact me or fill me in on what has transpired since I last worked on this project.

I would appreciate a response at your earliest convenience.  I'm definitely not someone who takes myself too seriously, and I am honestly trying to assume positive intent here, but at the same time I do feel a bit weird and uncomfortable with the fact that my work has been altered and released without my consent or awareness.  I hope you understand.

-Stormwalker

Okay, some quick info for disclosure here; DeathEvokation was my point of contact, and asked if I wanted to contribute some maps to Endquest, an episode he was working on. I agreed. After some time he told me that both you and him were inactive on DW and that he wasn't going to be able to finish Endquest. For years that seemed to be true. I asked him if I could finish the episode. He agreed. He asked to be credited as Rem. He told me you had changed your account to Vordakk, which I attempted to contact you through. I'm sorry, I was under the impression that the project had been abandoned and I was doing my best to finish it and get it released. Let's continue this conversation in DM to find a solution that we feel respects everyone's work.