Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TuomasGaming

Why are different forums in DOOM General?

What I mean, is that why are people talking about WADS and Mods, in the DOOM General forum?

WADS and Mods should be in their own forum.

They already have a forum, but why are people also talking about them here?

2 minutes ago, GraphicBleeder said:

They are in their own forum.
image.png.b9b1ab1c687fea612d8ebee67256b776.png

Yes, but there are also posts in DOOM General, where they talk about WADs & Mods.

If you haven't seen any, then you haven't explored enough here.

They have their own subsections, and they should be used. But there are two main problems: 1. People don't realize there are specialized subforums so they post in Doom General, and 2. Quite a few people don't tend to visit said subforums.

You get more responses posting in Doom General or Everything Else (Electionchat Elsewhere).

It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, TuomasGaming said:

Yes, but there are also posts in DOOM General, where they talk about WADs & Mods.

I really do not see what you're getting so worked up about.

Some people just decide to not post them there, if that is really such a big issue then the site admins can deal with it themselves.

1 minute ago, GraphicBleeder said:

I really do not see what you're getting so worked up about.

Some people just decide to not post them there, if that is really such a big issue then the site admins can deal with it themselves.

There is just so much filler then, wich shouldn't be there.

There really isn't as much filler in Doom General as you are making it out to be. 

People make mistakes and post the thing in the wrong subforum. Get over it.

9 minutes ago, Diabolución said:

Because this is not, fortunately, an over/micro-moderated forum, in which moderators will punish you just for saying fuck, for breaking the obscure rule 795.422.165, or for posting your thread in the wrong sub-sub-sub-forum within the wrong sub-sub-forum within the wrong sub-forum.

Pretty much this. If something gets out of hand, it will be dealt with. If something is a non-issue, then it's exactly that. And this is a great thing about Doomworld and the mods that sets it apart from almost any other forum. Don't make a mountain out of a mole-hill.

If something needs to be moved, it will be moved.

Without sounding too rude......... Dictating where things should go isn't really your job dude.

3 hours ago, TuomasGaming said:

I see it like this: the WADs and Mods subsection is for wad and mod releases, beta or final. For mappers to promote their work and to get feedback, playtesting and so on.

But more general questions like "What is your favourite wad of the 2010s?" or "Are there any wads set in Antarctica?" belong in Doom General.

Speaking as someone frequently accused of being a dick on occassion: The bolded is kind of dickish to say. 

There is just so much filler then, wich shouldn't be there.

If it bothers you enough to the point of making a thread about it: Report the post, suggest a moving. They (the staff) appreciate this.

9 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

But more general questions like "What is your favourite wad of the 2010s?" or "Are there any wads set in Antarctica?" belong in Doom General.

What is your favorite source port and your favorite worst map of doom? ;)

55 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

I see it like this: the WADs and Mods subsection is for wad and mod releases, beta or final. For mappers to promote their work and to get feedback, playtesting and so on.

Read this post.

I have seen the occasional wayward project thread in Doom General, but if you are contending that there is "so much filler," that it happens often, odds are you are misunderstanding the purpose of these forums and what belongs where.  

1 hour ago, Tetzlaff said:

That is personally how i also see it.

Makes also more Sense to distinguish between General Discussion of Wads and a Place to present Releases etc. and give Feedback.

5 hours ago, TuomasGaming said:

If someone's new here they might post something in the wrong forum. I wouldn't get to worked up about it honestly, it happens all the time. I get confused sometimes on what forum some of my topics should go into. I myself post in the wrong forums from time to time. I recommend just being kind and redirecting them to the correct forum. 

16 minutes ago, Azuris said:

That is personally how i also see it.

Makes also more Sense to distinguish between General Discussion of Wads and a Place to present Releases etc. and give Feedback.

This is how I also see it. I've tried uploading my WADs to the ID site or whatever it's called, I just can't figure it out. I've said this a million times now. There either needs to be a forum or a "user summited" tab at the top of Doomworld that takes you somewhere that you can easily download/review/upload WADS. I mean it's as simple as uploading the WAD with or without a .TXT file, fill in some information (What you used to test it with, how long it took you, who built it, what you want people to use it on, etc.) and then uploading it on here. Then people can go to it, download it, play it, come back and then review it like a forum. 

Why this isn't a thing yet? IDK. I guess because the ID site is up. I'm just saying, there should be a MUCH simpler way to upload WADS.

19 minutes ago, Retro Dino said:

This is how I also see it. I've tried uploading my WADs to the ID site or whatever it's called, I just can't figure it out. I've said this a million times now. There either needs to be a forum or a "user summited" tab at the top of Doomworld that takes you somewhere that you can easily download/review/upload WADS. I mean it's as simple as uploading the WAD with or without a .TXT file, fill in some information (What you used to test it with, how long it took you, who built it, what you want people to use it on, etc.) and then uploading it on here. Then people can go to it, download it, play it, come back and then review it like a forum. 

Why this isn't a thing yet? IDK. I guess because the ID site is up. I'm just saying, there should be a MUCH simpler way to upload WADS.

There's an entire thread pinned in Wads and Mods explaining exactly how to upload wads to /idgames. Some clients like Filezilla can be a pain to work with but they're also extremely well documented and it takes about a 5 minute google search to figure out how to troubleshoot. 

And... yeah. this thread in general is making a mountain out of a molehill. Let mods worry about moderating. Or if there's an issue, tell a moderator

8 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

There's an entire thread pinned in Wads and Mods explaining exactly how to upload wads to /idgames

And if you go to Youtube, there's a simple tutorial showing how to do it. 

Man...I love that the net has most of the desired answers and most people can't try to look.

21 minutes ago, leodoom85 said:

Man...I love that the net has most of the desired answers and most people can't try to look.

Posting a thread, explaining the problem is easier than using the search, finding the answer.

Dude you are not making a good impression on here rn. Like this is really petty man. This is not a place to bitch, I learned that the hard way by making a total ass out of myself on here like year ago and still feel shitty as fuck about it. People don't want that here and they WILL remember you.

10 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

Dude you are not making a good impression on here rn. Like this is really petty man. This is not a place to bitch, I learned that the hard way by making a total ass out of myself on here like year ago and still feel shitty as fuck about it. People don't want that here and they WILL remember you.

OP, I want you to remember this.

If you make a whiny/bitching post about something that doesn't matter people are NOT going to forget, this happened with a certain user who kept complaining about a useless bug that didn't matter and people mocked him for it.

This is not a place to complain, it's a place to talk about the demon shooter game. 

3 hours ago, leodoom85 said:

No need to be an asshole. I have gone on YouTube and I have looked it up. I got stuck at a certain part and I couldn't figure out what to do past that point. You should really not assume shit. The ONE tutorial there is, is a video made in like 2005 with screenshots and text, that doesn't explain what to do very well. All I'm saying is there should be a much SIMPLER way to upload WADS on this site. You shouldn't have to go through an obstacle course just to upload a WAD. It may be easy for you also, but for people like me and new comers it may be confusing or they may not trust it. A drag and drop or upload system is something everyone is familiar and comfortable with. Hell even the "comment box" that I'm tying in has a drag files/upload files thing. 

54 minutes ago, Retro Dino said:

No need to be an asshole. I have gone on YouTube and I have looked it up. I got stuck at a certain part and I couldn't figure out what to do past that point. You should really not assume shit. The ONE tutorial there is, is a video made in like 2005 with screenshots and text, that doesn't explain what to do very well. All I'm saying is there should be a much SIMPLER way to upload WADS on this site. You shouldn't have to go through an obstacle course just to upload a WAD. It may be easy for you also, but for people like me and new comers it may be confusing or they may not trust it. A drag and drop or upload system is something everyone is familiar and comfortable with. Hell even the "comment box" that I'm tying in has a drag files/upload files thing. 

@Linguica or other mods could probably explain this better but /idgames is not actually anything to do with Doomworld, it's an entirely different site altogether. Overhauling Doomworld itself with as much data as is stored on it- over 20 years worth, is not as easy as it sounds. One wrong push of a button and the entire data bank could be unrecoverable. If you have a good, technical explanation for how you would implement it, I'm sure the mods would be all ears. 
edit: FTP uploading has been used for 20 years or so here. While I can appreciate the want for a more modern system, the phrase "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" would seem to apply here.
Also, this is derailing from the topic. Again, an issue to take up with a moderator who may be better informed with how the system works. 

Edited by Major Arlene

8 minutes ago, Major Arlene said:

@Linguica or other mods could probably explain this better

It's okay I don't need an explanation, I'm just saying I wish it was a thing. I'm fine with posting WADS in the WADS/MODS forum

I prefer WADs and Mods to be a place to advertise your wad and mod releases instead of discussion and I usually leave all of the discussion stuff in General or "Everything Else (Electionchat Elsewhere)".

Besides, this shouldnt be a place to bitch about if discussion about some wad is in a certain subsection of a forum, and should be about discussion for a 1993 demon shooting game instead. If you think this is a genuine problem then go whine to an admin instead of making a whole fuss about it in a thread.

11 hours ago, Retro Dino said:

All I'm saying is there should be a much SIMPLER way to upload WADS on this site. You shouldn't have to go through an obstacle course just to upload a WAD.

10 hours ago, Major Arlene said:

but /idgames is not actually anything to do with Doomworld, it's an entirely different site altogether.

edit: FTP uploading has been used for 20 years or so here. While I can appreciate the want for a more modern system, the phrase "if it isn't broke, don't fix it" would seem to apply here.

As noted before, that's a work in progress, nearing completion.

11 hours ago, Xymph said:

These are mine. I'd love feedback on these - particularly the uploader.

On topic:

I tend to look in the different forum sections and as such have a different expectation of what I will find there - WADs to download or read summaries of in 'WADs & Mods' or editing tips/help etc in 'Doom editing' and so on.

So in the General forum, I would not necessarily expect there to be stuff about WADs or editing - I'd look in the appropriate fora for these topics/downloading WADs. As said above, it doesn't matter where you post, but it will aid in other people finding what you post if it is in an appropriate forum. So putting your post in an appropriate ('correct' is not the right word here) forum will mean that your post is more likely to be read in the correct context.

12 hours ago, Xymph said:

22 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

These are mine. I'd love feedback on these - particularly the uploader. 

The tools which are the main topic of those threads are indeed, but I was referring to the posts about the upcoming Gamers.org upload form.

3 minutes ago, Xymph said:

The tools which are the main topic of those threads are indeed, but I was referring to the posts about the upcoming Gamers.org upload form.

Ah, my mistake. Sorry.