Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Richard Simons

Who wants to test the latest build of Marshmallow Doom?

Howdy,

So whether you thought Marshmallow Doom was really cool, or even if you thought it SUCKED, check out the latest build and let me know what you think.  

I completely reconstructed the project in the GNU environment that Chocolate/Crispy uses, so my duct-taped MS Visual Studio builds are now a thing of the past.

It's also based on a more up-to-date version of Crispy Doom so it does widescreen, etc.  There are many, many improvements since my last release, particularly expanded and improved menus, and you can now access the options menus from the main menu.

I highly recommend trying Ultimate Doom with this, using one of the new skill levels Ultra Violence 2.0 or Nightmare 2.0.  These will fill the Doom 1 maps with randomly-occurring Doom 2 monsters.  For this you'll need both DOOM.WAD and DOOM2.WAD in the folder; choose DOOM.WAD as your main IWAD, and when prompted for "Would you like to import DOOM2.WAD..." select "Yes" to enable the WAD-stealing feature, where both wads are combined to enjoy the assets of both games.  (Monsters, music, SSG in Doom 1, etc.)

And then if you throw the Random Items feature in there, you'll be a happy fragger within seconds into E1M1.  Try it.

(FYI: the executable is crispy-doom.exe)

Direct download:  http://www.marshmallowdoom.com/downloads/marshmallow79.zip

Features/info:  https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Marshmallow_Doom

Github:  https://github.com/drbelljazz/marshmallow-doom/

Edited by Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow

I was thrown off at first by the "Marshmallow Options" menu using WASD instead of arrow keys like the rest of the menu. Also I couldn't find the options to restore vanilla behavior for certain things in deathmatch, such as kill messages and backpack drops.

4 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I was thrown off at first by the "Marshmallow Options" menu using WASD instead of arrow keys like the rest of the menu. Also I couldn't find the options to restore vanilla behavior for certain things in deathmatch, such as kill messages and backpack drops.

Ok thanks for the feedback!  

I thought I addressed the menu key issue but I'll have to investigate more.

And you're right in that I should add options to restore vanilla behavior in DM.

40 minutes ago, SiFi270 said:

I was thrown off at first by the "Marshmallow Options" menu using WASD instead of arrow keys like the rest of the menu. Also 

Quick question:  Did you use the default settings included with the download, or did you drop this into a pre-configured crispy doom directory?  This will help me recreate the issue.  Thanks!

Great work! I remember trying Marshmallow a while back when I was still searching for the right port for myself, glad to see it's still alive and kicking. Everything worked out fine, but the only problems I had was the mouse aiming. I was getting Duke Nukem Megaton vibes. The sensitivity always felt floaty. Though that might just be my mouse settings.

Just now, Warp said:

but the only problems I had was the mouse aiming. I was getting Duke Nukem Megaton vibes. The sensitivity always felt floaty. Though that might just be my mouse settings.

Thanks for the feedback! 

Mouse aiming would actually be unchanged from its base projects, Crispy and Chocolate Doom.  If you tried either of those, you'd likely have the same experience. 

But I get what you mean about the Megaton vibe.  (That said, I still play Megaton Edition!)

Very happy to see this port is still being actively worked on, I love its gameplay features! The only thing I can point out at the moment is that the Marshmallow menu doesn't function while paused: It lets you move the cursor once, and then no more until you unpause.

This might be a little out there, but I'd love to see some presets for Marshmallow settings, for cases like having full-vanilla settings or "recommended" Marshmallow setups. Maybe a "Marshmallow" subfolder where different configs could be saved/stored and cycled through. Is there a command-line option for loading specific Marshmallow configs?

Did you alter how the widescreen toggle works in the Crispiness settings? If so, highly recommend submitting a pull request to Crispy, it feels way better than the toggle's behavior in the current release of Crispy Doom 5.10.

2 hours ago, Lollie said:

Did you alter how the widescreen toggle works in the Crispiness settings? If so, highly recommend submitting a pull request to Crispy, it feels way better than the toggle's behavior in the current release of Crispy Doom 5.10.

He, why, what's different? Could you elaborate please? 

2 hours ago, Lollie said:

the Marshmallow menu doesn't function while paused: It lets you move the cursor once, and then no more until you unpause.

This is because the Marshmallow menu code is located in the playloop, so there has to be an active game to use it.  This was done years ago back when I didn't really know what I was doing, but I would like to move the code eventually.

Thanks for the presets suggestions; there are many command-line options for individual settings (see wiki link above), ideal for setting up network games, and I've been meaning to add a set of batch files to the download package which launch the game with certain recommended settings schemes, but haven't yet.  (For example, a batch file that launches Doom 1 with WAD stealing, upgraded monsters, random items/weapons, bots, etc.)

As for the widescreen toggle, that should remain untouched from the base project (Crispy) but FYI this build uses a slightly older version of Crispy (late 2020-ish), only because I haven't rebased the project since then.

Thanks for testing!

Edited by Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow

Fired it up to give the wad stealing and monster upgrade thing a whirl and it was interesting! Did UV 2.0 and played E1M1 to give it the old test.  While the starting up with the wad stealing was seemless (and I was even able to just drag and drop my crispy config which is great) I noticed a couple of hitches beacause of F_SKY behavior and such.  E1M1 has Doom 2's sky for the early levels and some other textures are also off and the E1M1 slime trail is there.  Here are a couple of screenshots to demonstrate.  I also got a texture misalignment when I started a random level, it looked like the start of Dead Simple with a non working switch that was misaligned so not sure what happened there.  Level selecting though seemed to work and it moved to E1M2 without trouble.

DOOM0000.png

DOOM0001.png

Eric, thanks for testing!  You do bring up some important issues:

11 hours ago, Eric Claus said:

the E1M1 slime trail is there.

AFAIK this is normal for the Chocolate/Crispy family of ports.  These original renderer bugs are unavoidable without a total rewrite of the renderer, which is obviously outside the scope of these source ports.  Of course this is why we have wonderful ports such as everything in the ZDoom family, where all of these bugs have been squashed.

I also got a texture misalignment when I started a random level

This would be the switch at the beginning of E1M8.  Another example would be the switch in the slime pit in E1M3.

This bug as well as the one below are pretty much the only outstanding flaws with Marshmallow Doom, and I still have yet to track down why these occur. 

When importing DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD, somehow it screws up a few switch textures.  I've spent countless hours trying to rectify this to no avail.  I thought I could get some sort of results by messing around with the switchlist_t struct, but this seems to not be used at all unless a WAD includes a switch list.   

E1M1 has Doom 2's sky for the early levels

And this would be the other outstanding flaw with the port.  I've spent many hours trying to prevent Doom 2's sky textures from being imported when doing WAD-stealing in Doom 1, and have failed miserably.

What's weird is that I fixed a similar issue quite easily; in my earlier releases, then using WAD-stealing, the Doom II logo was overwriting the Doom logo.  All I had to do was prevent that particular lump from being imported when merging-in the PWAD.

I figured I could also just prevent the Doom 2 sky lumps from being imported in the same way, but I was unable to apply the same fix to this sky issue.

This is the kind of thing the great @fabian might know more about, and if any other Doom coders have any insights on these things let me know.

Good port! Some of the stuff in this source port reminds me when "dogs" killing Cyberdemon. I have some suggestion: Sprite for the corpses that reacted to explosive should be their gib sprites (hope you get what i mean). The options menu should be set to their default, I think. Option for FOV should be nice. Also: I found a bug where Doomguy make a hurt sound while in the explosive barrel radius and he don't make "hurt" face (or even take any damage). This happen if you shoot the barrel quite far. I think that's it

58 minutes ago, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

AFAIK this is normal for the Chocolate/Crispy family of ports.

Slime trails were fixed in Crispy Doom long ago but now surprisingly they're back. May be it's due to widescreen rendering.

58 minutes ago, drfrag said:

Slime trails were fixed in Crispy Doom long ago but now surprisingly they're back. May be it's due to widescreen rendering.

Huh, yeah I fired up my Crispy to check it out and it's indeed there.

They aren't back. You just can't fix every single slime trail by MBF's vertex projection method. This specific one in E1M1 has always been there. 

34 minutes ago, fabian said:

They aren't back. You just can't fix every single slime trail by MBF's vertex projection method. This specific one in E1M1 has always been there. 

Just hadn't noticed until now weirdly, but today I learned.  I thought that it was a fixed one and had resurfaced for some reason.

2 hours ago, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

AFAIK this is normal for the Chocolate/Crispy family of ports.  These original renderer bugs are unavoidable without a total rewrite of the renderer, which is obviously outside the scope of these source ports.  Of course this is why we have wonderful ports such as everything in the ZDoom family, where all of these bugs have been squashed.

Yeah it seems I had a misunderstanding on this one and just happened to notice coincidentally while testing your port.  It does appear on Crispy, DSDA Doom, etc after I did some more comparisons.  Figured I would point it out at the time as I thought maybe something ended up goofy with the renderer as I know weird things can happen.

On 2/20/2021 at 5:11 AM, fabian said:

He, why, what's different? Could you elaborate please? 

Sure, the easiest way I can demonstrate the difference is with a gif.

CrispyVSMarshmallow-WidescreenBehavior.gif.b7122d1a2f95fb15ec48198cd30613db.gif

For what it's worth, I tried bringing up Crispy's widescreen behavior as an issue back when it was first introduced, but you seemed to be against changing this behavior. Or we might've had some miscommunication or something. 😅

On 2/20/2021 at 5:24 AM, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

As for the widescreen toggle, that should remain untouched from the base project (Crispy) but FYI this build uses a slightly older version of Crispy (late 2020-ish), only because I haven't rebased the project since then.

Ahaa, good to know! I guess it'll appear in Crispy soon enough.

Edited by Lollie

On 2/20/2021 at 2:30 PM, Cmdr. J.T. Marshmallow said:

This is the kind of thing the great @fabian might know more about, and if any other Doom coders have any insights on these things let me know.

Thank you, I am feeling flattered! :D

In order to avoid overriding the sky texture, you'll need to avoid the actual sky patch lump from being imported, e.g. "RSKY1" in your case. The actual texture is composed from its respective patches after all WADs have been loaded.

On 2/21/2021 at 6:26 AM, Lollie said:

For what it's worth, I tried bringing up Crispy's widescreen behavior as an issue back when it was first introduced, but you seemed to be against changing this behavior. Or we might've had some miscommunication or something. 😅

Ah, this! Yes, I re-introduced this bug because the "fix" wouldn't let me use Win+Left/Right on my Doom windows anymore. I'll try to find a better solution.

I wasn't able to get this to build at all on Linux; there seems to be several symbol redefination warnings and errors. Using GCC 10.2.0 on Manjaro Linux.

On 2/27/2021 at 5:15 AM, Cacodemon345 said:

I wasn't able to get this to build at all on Linux; there seems to be several symbol redefination warnings and errors. Using GCC 10.2.0 on Manjaro Linux.

Ok I see now that I made a few mistakes on my most recent code merge.  I will leave a note in this thread when I get this sorted.  

Thanks!