Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Stupid Bunny

Most minimal limit-removing port?

Basically Chocolate Doom but with limits removed?

No, I'm curious if there's any source ports, widely used or otherwise, that offer few to no breaks from vanilla Doom, but also remove drawseg, visplane etc. limits?  I found Doom Plus, which is pretty cool and about as minimal as one could get in this regard (to the extent that it isn't a source port at all), but was wondering if there was anything else anyone knew of.  Especially since one of my maps still borked Doom Plus. :.(

Yeah, the "Unity" one.

Doom95 is also technically limit removing though not by much to be relevant, its visplane limit is 192 to account for the increased resolution. It also lost MIDI file support.

Other than Crispy, yeah, I think the official Unity remaster is the closest to minimalism as possible since it only raises a few limits and comes with a few enhancements, otherwise it's fairly barebones compared to fan made ports.

I would just go with Crispy Doom in this instance, myself.  Unless you can load custom WADs in the Unity port.  Is that a thing?

Yeah I’ve been testing all my maps and deHacked work (another thing I’m unclear if Unity supports) in Crispy, a port which I love and is also at any rate likely to be much more widely used by the community than anything not immediately recognizable by name. That will probably be adequate, if nothing else I don’t want to waste a bunch of time and make myself go mad trying to fix arcane compatibility issues with a port not many people use.  I’ve never used Unity, as evidenced by the fact I had to look up its existence so I have little sense of what one can do with it or how much less it eats than Doom95

6 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

Yeah I’ve been testing all my maps and deHacked work (another thing I’m unclear if Unity supports)

It does, and the only thing it prolly ever will, in addition to its own DMAPINFO which has already been documented on the wiki.

There will never be support for DECORATE or ZScript.

21 minutes ago, VanaheimRanger said:

Unless you can load custom WADs in the Unity port.  Is that a thing?

Yes. Both the Android and PC versions can load in anything when plonked into the addon folder.

11 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

Yeah I’ve been testing all my maps and deHacked work (another thing I’m unclear if Unity supports)

Given Rekkr is a provided addon, very much so.

3 hours ago, StupidBunny said:

also remove drawseg, visplane etc. limits? 

And how much limits are we talking about? You don't have to draw all segments. You just need to find reasonable enough number (mostly to acomodate drawable visplanes) and then only limit is 32767 segs/sides/lines/subsectors/nodes because data type for nodes is in signed short. Platform DOS or Windows?

8 minutes ago, drfrag said:

RUDE.

No don’t worry Choco Doom is brilliance and I’d love if my maps would play in it, only there’s a few maps where it would simply be inundated in visplanes along a few lines of sight and I don’t intend to cut those down at any point.

At any rate I think I’m satisfied that Crispy is probably the minimal compatibility I should aim for with this project. I guess I can investigate Unity more on my own and see if my maps play in that but I guess my weird mission is make it “as close to vanilla as possible except visplane limits and stuff”, so I wanted to see if there was a broader range of such ports besides Crispy Doom.

28 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

No don’t worry Choco Doom is brilliance and I’d love if my maps would play in it, only there’s a few maps where it would simply be inundated in visplanes along a few lines of sight and I don’t intend to cut those down at any point.

That's the name of the source port, heh. Romero's Ultimate Doom Engine (RUDE).

2 minutes ago, drfrag said:

Again the same thing? xD

Yeah RUDE is another fork.

Should've explained that with its abbreviation too xD

Isn't Strawberry Doom a Chocolate Doom without vis limits?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was discontinued over 10 years ago