Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr.Ferret

How do I delete the exit signs in ultimate doom builder?

Okay this may be another stupid question but I’m currently making a reimagining of doom and I need to delete the exit signs in vanilla doom. So how do I do that? Also, when I did delete it it didn’t delete the sides and it they stayed there.

What do you mean by this?

Did you delete the sector that the exit sign is nested in, or just delete the linedef?

Also, are you modifying the IWAD maps directly? If so I would really recommend trying to learn USB by building your own map from scratch, so you have a general idea of how stuff works first.

1 minute ago, StupidBunny said:

What do you mean by this?

Did you delete the sector that the exit sign is nested in, or just delete the linedef?

Also, are you modifying the IWAD maps directly? If so I would really recommend trying to learn USB by building your own map from scratch, so you have a general idea of how stuff works first.

I honestly don’t know. I’m new to it. Mind just telling me how to delete it?

No, I can’t because I’m not sure what you’re trying to do, or what you’re doing that’s not working.

What happens when you “delete the exit sign”? What do you see in the editor? What do you see in game?

Just now, StupidBunny said:

No, I can’t because I’m not sure what you’re trying to do, or what you’re doing that’s not working.

What happens when you “delete the exit sign”? What do you see in the editor? What do you see in game?

I see the sides and top and bottom but not the middle

I still don’t know what you mean. Are you in sector, linedef or visual mode when you’re deleting? Do you see the problem in the editor or when you test it in the map? You need to provide more clear and specific information if you want me to help you with this (and a screenshot maybe if you can)

2 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

I still don’t know what you mean. Are you in sector, linedef or visual mode when you’re deleting? Do you see the problem in the editor or when you test it in the map? You need to provide more clear and specific information if you want me to help you with this (and a screenshot maybe if you can)

I see it in the editor when I’m in 3D mode.

25 minutes ago, Dr.Ferret said:

Okay this may be another stupid question but I’m currently making a reimagining of doom and I need to delete the exit signs in vanilla doom. So how do I do that? Also, when I did delete it it didn’t delete the sides and it they stayed there.

Are you referring to the actual sign that says "Exit" above the exit-room door, where the switch to end the level is?

Just now, DavetheDoomguy said:

Are you referring to the actual sign that says "Exit" above the exit-room door, where the switch to end the level is?

Yes

Um...so I’m making a lot of assumptions here because you’re not giving me much to work with, but I’m guessing you’re just deleting the texture off of the sidedef where the exit sign texture was. What I assume you want to do is just delete the sector that the exit sign is in, which you have to do from sectors mode (and then choose a texture for the wall where the exit sign was).

Again, I would recommend if you haven’t going through a tutorial, building a map yourself, familiarizing yourself with the terminology of Doom mapping so that at least it’ll be easier for you to describe what you’re doing and for us to help you.

EDIT: @DavetheDoomguy oh yeah I totally forgot they’re hanging from the ceiling sometimes. Yeah so don’t delete the sector, you can either merge it with the surrounding one or raise it into the ceiling where you can’t see it anymore. 

Just go into Vertices Mode, and draw a selection box around the exit sign vertices and press delete, assuming they aren't connected to others.

On 2/21/2021 at 10:35 PM, Nevander said:

Just go into Vertices Mode, and draw a selection box around the exit sign vertices and press delete, assuming they aren't connected to others.

Thanks I’ll try that.

If you're still having problems, just upload the wad in a zip file and one of us will take a look.

Then maybe one of us will post a screenshot or 2 of what we had to do to fix it.

It sounds like you're just wanting to delete a sector though, to me.

So, I was able to solve my solution but now I have an even bigger problem, apparently I can’t edit official iwads, anyone know a solution to that?

Ultimate doom builder says cant edit official iwads consider editing pwads. What I’m trying to do is remaster doom using the original iwads.

Just now, Dr.Ferret said:

It says cant edit official iwads consider editing pwads.

What do you mean "it"? Are you talking about Doom Builder? A website you're looking at?  You need to give more details in your answers lol

1. We have no idea what you are using to do this editing in the first place.

2. We have no idea what the problem looks like. Refer to 1.

EDIT: Could you give us a screenshot of what prompt it gives you? Don't tell me you're just outright opening an iwad inside of Ultimate Doom Builder.

Ah, I see.

1. Make a new map in whatever format you want.

2. In a separate window of UDB, open up the iwad of your choice.

3. Choose the map you want to copy over.

4. Select everything inside of the map.

5. Copy it.

6. Paste into your new map. 

7. Close the window where you opened up the IWAD. When asked to save your changes, press No because you don't wanna change your iwad.

8. Now you can edit the IWAD map!

I suggest getting some basic understanding of how doom modding & mapping works in general before you tackle "oh yeah! epic doom 2 remaster!", but it's your choice.

8 minutes ago, Dr.Ferret said:

Ultimate doom builder says cant edit official iwads consider editing pwads. What I’m trying to do is remaster doom using the original iwads.

So rule #1 of making a new map is do not edit the IWADs directly.  It's not only unnecessary but also illegal to distribute even an edited IWAD.

What you should be able to do though is go to File -> Save Map Into... and save the map(s) into a new WAD file.  That's the easiest way to put your map into another file.  Never try and modify your original Doom or Doom2 IWADs.

So rule #1 of making a new map is do not edit the IWADs directly.  It's not only unnecessary but also illegal to distribute even an edited IWAD.

What you should be able to do though is go to File -> Save Map Into... and save the map(s) into a new WAD file.

Oh I wasn’t gonna share it. It’s a private project.

4 minutes ago, Dr.Ferret said:

Oh I wasn’t gonna share it. It’s a private project.

Doesn't matter. IWADs contain the data for the entire game. (ish, the OG executable & source ports do a lot of the Doomyness too)

Sprites? That's the IWAD.

Maps? IWAD.

Huds? IWAD.

Menus? IWAD.

Textures? IWAD.

Sounds? IWAD.

Music? IWAD.

The method I stated should work.

Yeah it's still unnecessary to ever modify the IWAD directly, especially if all you're doing is modifying the existing maps.  Either of the methods we mentioned will let you put the maps in a PWAD, and then you can just load that over Doom II whenever you feel like.  (Plus you'll be able to share it with the rest of us if you change your mind.)

Seems to me based on this thread, you might be trying to do too much at once before learning how the game works and the difference between WAD types.

The IWAD is the full game file. It contains what makes up the original game and you should NEVER edit them directly. Instead, you use this file as a resource in your editor to pull all the textures, things, sprites into it to make levels with.

Any levels you make are PWADs. These can be loaded with ports to overwrite existing lumps in the IWAD for that session only. IWADs are used to make PWADs.

Since you said you are wanting to remaster the original maps, the steps thelazyqdude gave you are spot on. You need to copy and paste the map geometry and things INTO a new map WAD instead of editing that directly from your IWAD.

Lets just hope his IWADs aren't borked up now? since a few days ago he was wanting to delete Things in another topic.

You should probably at least read through the basic vanilla editing tutorials so you can learn the basics. Everyone has to learn the basics, there's no shame in starting out there.