Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xymph

/idgames Wad Uploader Form

This is really cool. You're a Doom treasure Xymph! (Or maybe fossil, both are equally valuable :P

Congratulations! This is one huge step forward and you deserve a Cacoward for this.

Nice one, Xymph. No doubt a lot of new mappers ufamiliar with FTP will be grateful for you streamlining the process like this.

Edited by Biodegradable

This looks super-helpful and convenient for everyone, including FTP users. Much appreciated!

Chrome disables FTP downloads from idgames (at least, I have to choose an SSL mirror), so I'm curious if WAD creators would have problems with uploading via FTP.

The future has finally arrived. Now I can uninstall the FTP client once again, I guess.

And there's even a log in readable format that doesn't seem to randomly shuffle dates around.

Nice one.

This will definitely make uploading much easier. Hopefully will prompt people who have created maps but not uploaded yet to do so. 

31 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

Chrome disables FTP downloads from idgames (at least, I have to choose an SSL mirror), so I'm curious if WAD creators would have problems with uploading via FTP.

You can right-click/save as and disregard the warning (unless Chrome has got worse with the latest update). And no, you just need to set the protocol to 'ftp' rather than 'sftp'. Most FTP clients will do this fine, though you may get an 'insecure protocol' type warning.

I cannot get WS_FTP to work properly on post Windows XP systems and I have no clue how to get Firezilla working correctly too so this will help greatly with my 2 upcoming megawads, one to be released later this year and the other next year.

Don't know if this helps, but here you go:

FileZilla is a bit odd from a UI perspective. Here is my setup (Ubuntu, but IIRC it's the same on Windows):

Go to "file/site manager" (or ctrl+S). "New Site" to - er - add a new site:

1690793501_Screenshotfrom2021-02-2116-20-42.png.31ea645df5c9984d12d96b3154b77742.png

Port is determined by the protocol, so leave it blank.

Leave Advanced as they are, and in Transfer Settings, leave transfer mode default but limit to one concurrent connection:

1722154333_Screenshotfrom2021-02-2116-23-37.png.4a56c0a145b7c68834347171a0a9a0d5.png

And leave Charset as default. You should be able to connect OK like this:

311091556_Screenshotfrom2021-02-2116-26-56.png.e794b3c7bf34dd5906b5dd61229d4d7d.png

You can then either use the built-in file browser or just drag and drop from the operating system file manager.

WS_FTP is even odder from a UI PoV - If I recall, adding or changing an existing connection is counter-intuitive (not on my Windows box currently - will update when I am), but this may help?

https://www.ipswitch.com/ftp-client

Personally I prefer FileZilla as I find it easier to set up and use, though I do use WS_FTP as well, particularly at work.

Thank you for making this for us! I guess I can finally retire Total Commander then (as I used the FTP function in it for uploading pwads).

I just got used to Filezilla, darn it! :)

But honestly the more the merrier. The difficulty spike will lower significantly and will make it easier to upload some. My next upload will be using this.

@Xymphaside your endless maintenance duties on the Wiki (And enjoying it, it seems!) thank you for making this become a reality. This definitely should be in a memorandum at the end of this year at the Cacowards :)

Also thanks to @The Green Herring and @Bloodshedder for their behind-the-scenes work on /idgames, and i hope this new method of submitting will benefit them aswell.

A fascinating contribution this year! Congratulations for creating something as useful as this. I see a huge potential of projects in the future making use of this. Maybe even one of mine :P

Very nice, this will absolutely help us newcomers in the long run. I have a question though, will this be the new uploading method or can we still use the FTP upload method?

great post but oh god...Idgames moderators are about to have a busy week like never before now lol.

This is big. Finally, after 5 years of being in this community, i can shitpost my memewads to idgames without begging and harassing more knowledgeable people to do it for me.. top work

Just now, Gothic said:

This should be pinned on Wads & Mods.

I'm definitely gonna contact someone to request to get it pinned. You got no idea how useful this'll be.

1 hour ago, Scorpius said:

Very nice, this will absolutely help us newcomers in the long run. I have a question though, will this be the new uploading method or can we still use the FTP upload method?

The old FTP method is also ofcourse still available :) So if you have an FTP setup ready, there is nothing stopping you from using that.

Ofcourse IdGames Upload has to put through its paces of stability first, but FTP is atleast a nice, sure-fire method of submitting.

35 minutes ago, bemused said:

This is big. Finally, after 5 years of being in this community, i can shitpost my memewads to idgames without begging and harassing more knowledgeable people to do it for me.. top work

And they will all be rejected if they don't adher to the rules. Besides, i like to believe people upload to idgames when they have a quality product to show for - Posting memewads seems rather the opposite and i am not sure how long it will take then before more knowledgeable people will see this reverted to the FTP method once more.

Real talk - the exact same rules apply to IdGames Upload as the old FTP method.

14 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

lots of happy joyous things

Contrary to the rather idyllic picture painted here, a cursory glace thru idgames reveals that not everything on there is a "quality product", and the rather arbitrary "thou shalt not meme in any way shape or form whatsoever" rule you seem to be advocating would've seen noye, ENirvana and other popular wads all struck down from idgames upon uploading. Lighten up a little, there is plenty room for content of all types.... as long as it isnt an "obvious trollwad" or other such malicious file :)

Making pre-existing systems simpler is just as important as creating new systems.

YOU ARE BIG BOSS

11 hours ago, bemused said:

Contrary to the rather idyllic picture painted here, a cursory glace thru idgames reveals that not everything on there is a "quality product", and the rather arbitrary "thou shalt not meme in any way shape or form whatsoever" rule you seem to be advocating would've seen noye, ENirvana and other popular wads all struck down from idgames upon uploading. Lighten up a little, there is plenty room for content of all types.... as long as it isnt an "obvious trollwad" or other such malicious file :)

This reactionary post was subject to a correction by Dragonfly, and therefore its contents will be edites out first, and then reported for deletion.

Edited by Redneckerz : Removing the backseat and putting it up on eBay.