Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A.H. Sankhatayan

Evilution and Icarus Soundtrack Mysteries

Recommended Posts

I was browsing The Doom Wiki page for TNT music and noticed a relatively recent change. For a long time, the only tracks with authorship credits were the reused Doom II ones and Tom Mustaine's, which came from his page. I thought the rest was unknown but since last April, all of the track have assigned author. 

Does anyone know where this information comes from? 

 

Another interesting thing is that the track titles, which we all use now, are not known for certain and come from Doom Wiki edits by "three anonymous contributors" from 2010. Does anyone have more knowledge about this? Who could the contributors be? 

 

The soundtrack for Icarus is much better documented thanks to Jeremy Doyle who gave us complete composer credits for its soundtrack and individual composers who shared the track titles.

However, there is still some missing information, especially in regard to Jonathan El-Bizri's contributions, titles of which are still unknown. I'm a big fan of his music, but after Icarus he hasn't done anything and seems to have disappeared from the doom community. I wonder if anyone ever tried, or if it would be possible to contact him, to shed some light on this situation. Along with the authorship of Icarus's intermission, the only track without a confirmed composer credit, which is rumored to be by him. 

 

Also, the title music by David Shaw remains without a title, unlike all of his other tracks and it also isn't included among the rest of his midis on his site. Hmmm... 

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my source.

 

 

Which credits Icarus' title to El-Bizri, not Shaw, BTW.

Share this post


Link to post

Ah, thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Which credits Icarus' title to El-Bizri, not Shaw, BTW.

It's credited to Shaw on the wiki page for Icarus as well as on Shaw's wiki page. 

Share this post


Link to post

This is the kind of post i like to read, pal! :)

 

I always thought that Sadistic was made by Tom Mustaine.

But well, now i understand why Perdition's Gate/Hell 2 Pay Soundtrack is that good.

 

About the anonymous contributors... well, they certainly give them good name :P

Share this post


Link to post

Weren’t the contributors later confirmed to be TNT alums, or is that just a fever dream? One of them actually was JDoyle in the end, isn’t that right?

 

I had no idea this topic was even contentious anymore but if there’s any doubt we can always ask the few members who remain somewhat contactable. JDoyle commented recently on my YT video about unknown DWANGO songs, two of which were his. If we need to ask him for clarification on any of this I’m sure he’d respond.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Weren’t the contributors later confirmed to be TNT alums, or is that just a fever dream? One of them actually was JDoyle in the end, isn’t that right?

I’ve never heard about that, although I’ve only been in the community for a year. But I imagine something like that would be included in the wiki article, unless it got buried somewhere. 

 

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I had no idea this topic was even contentious anymore but if there’s any doubt we can always ask the few members who remain somewhat contactable. JDoyle commented recently on my YT video about unknown DWANGO songs, two of which were his. If we need to ask him for clarification on any of this I’m sure he’d respond.

Judging by the thread Gez linked, JDoyle already said everything he knew, so the only remaining option is contacting El-Bizri himself. JDoyle also mentioned he’d try to contact him but nothing after that.

Share this post


Link to post

Apologies for the necro-post, but I did end up contacting Jonathan back in December of 2016. I got an email back from him saying he'd listen to the tracks and figure out which were his, but then sadly never replied after that. The mystery continues! 

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/9/2021 at 1:35 AM, JDoyle said:

Apologies for the necro-post, but I did end up contacting Jonathan back in December of 2016. I got an email back from him saying he'd listen to the tracks and figure out which were his, but then sadly never replied after that. The mystery continues! 

That’s a shame. His midis are some of my favourite Doom songs. It would be great to finally know their titles.

It’s unfortunate that a lot of early Doom community history isn’t well documented.    

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×