Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fryuko

Heretic episode: Sold Soul // Now on idgames!

Hey there. I'm currently on E1M4 and having a blast so far! This is your first time making a Heretic wad? Gotta say, impressive stuff!

So, I have a question about one of the secrets in E1M4 (maybe it's a bug), but I'll keep it below in a spoiler tag as to not ruin the fun for other people.

Spoiler

You see, I managed to find the Deathknight boss, but the metal door in the same area doesn't open after I kill him. Is it supposed to be this way? Because if so, I gotta find another way to open it. If not, then it's either on my end (I'm running this with a few other mods, btw, but mostly just cosmetic stuff) or a bug in the map itself.

Thanks in advance. Have a good one!

Edited by Muleke_Trairao

@Muleke_Trairao Hey, thanks for playing. I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of the journey too. Yeah, this was my first attempt at anything Heretic related.

As Caleb13 mentioned, it is not a bug. Here is a hint, if you do not wish to see the full solution right away.

Spoiler

You'll have to find a way to get behind the door. The artifacts in the arena might help so as some atributes of the Death Knight.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:04 PM, Caleb13 said:

@Muleke_Trairao That's not a bug, you need to find another way to get behind the door. If you can't figure it out, I mentioned the solution earlier in this thread.

I see. Thank you! Oh, I should've looked for that info in the thread before asking. Sorry.

On 3/10/2022 at 4:39 PM, Fryuko said:

@Muleke_Trairao Hey, thanks for playing. I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of the journey too. Yeah, this was my first attempt at anything Heretic related.

As Caleb13 mentioned, it is not a bug. Here is a hint, if you do not wish to see the full solution right away.

Reveal hidden contents

You'll have to find a way to get behind the door. The artifacts in the arena might help so as some atributes of the Death Knight.

You're welcome, Fryuko! I will resume the rest of the episode today. :)

I just read your hint and I think I know what you mean! :O Very clever! Will try it out. Thanks!

Also, congratz on your wad being a runner-up in last year's Cacowards! You deserve it! :D

Edited by Muleke_Trairao

Excellent! Never had so much fun playing Heretic.

Level design (layout and visuals) is top-notch, reminiscent of Heretic and Hexen actually.

Enemy placement and variety is fair and fun; new enemies are a fine addition to the roster and fit very well.

A very pleasant experience, would love to see more of this! :)

Thank you, glad to hear it! 

There is truth in the Hexen resemblance as textures and decorations are pretty similar.

Originally I had plans to contunie it with a second episode, I still have the needed resources, some drawn layouts and a somewhat finished level, 

just never really get to it. I'm not sure it would be wise at this point as I would do  a bunch of aspects differently, but I'd like to return to Heretic eventually for sure :)

Very cool episode and one of my new favorites for Heretic. :)

On 5/11/2022 at 7:15 AM, Fryuko said:

Originally I had plans to contunie it with a second episode, I still have the needed resources, some drawn layouts and a somewhat finished level, 

just never really get to it. I'm not sure it would be wise at this point as I would do  a bunch of aspects differently, but I'd like to return to Heretic eventually for sure :)

Aww, I was really looking forward to that sequel. What would you do differently now? I don't know that having a different vision for level design makes something incompatible as a sequel (for instance, Ashes: Afterglow is an open-world game, while Ashes E1 was one level at a time). You should definitely pursue the projects you want to make, though, and I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do.

On 5/15/2022 at 6:08 PM, Not Jabba said:

Aww, I was really looking forward to that sequel. What would you do differently now? I don't know that having a different vision for level design makes something incompatible as a sequel (for instance, Ashes: Afterglow is an open-world game, while Ashes E1 was one level at a time). You should definitely pursue the projects you want to make, though, and I wish you the best with whatever you decide to do.

Thank you for the kind words and all the influence you had on my work!

I had this picture about "completion" ever since I uploaded Sold Soul to the idgames archive and left it hanging for so long now. This made me think that I could not continue working on it. Now that you mentioned it with examples, having a sequel that is different in nature is not too far-fetched. 

I'd say differences would not be so apparent, as it is more of a change towards player feedback and accesability in my attitude. I learnt how important this is after participating in many community related projects recently, and I kinda wish I could make some later encounters less messy and lower difficulties more manageable in retrospect. Also plan new stuff accordingly.

Im at e1m3 now and its super good! 
Good balance in the difficult and events, not too crazy, not too easy, very enjoyable for now :)
Im still bad at finding secrets x) but it works 
Very good stuff, always good to play again Heretic stuff

Wanted to call to attention an issue I am seeing in E1M3 where it's either a switch is bugged (?) (near the green gate) or there isn't enough sign posting to figure out how to finish the level:

I found someone who documented in a video ; eventually he just used noclip to finish. I saw your comment on that video and was wondering if there could be an update to make it more obvious.