Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

Help with Perdition's Gate

So I was shocked to find out that there were more commercial Doom megawads after Final Doom, one of them being Perdition's Gate.

I went to download it on Tom Mustaine's website, but I was met with a rather worrying picture of a woman handcuffed to a chair. What the hell?

Anyway, I downloaded the archive, but when I opened it, I found not a single WAD file, but rather a series of them as well as a couple of executable files. This got me even more worried. In my experience playing Doom with source ports, I never had to run an executable file - Doom Unity does not count - and I am confused as to why a megawad that was initially set to be included in Final Doom would require this many files.

How exactly do I install Perdition's Gate? And is it safe to run those executables?

The only file you need is the one called pg-raw-x.wad

Thats the whole megawad.

The other files are for when you run it natively on DOS environment.

Backthen, for a megawad with custom textures and other thing to be playable on the original Doom2.exe, there was programs that let you ''merge'' the new data with the original wad to be playable.

Pretty much creating a kind of iwad to be playable.

Modern source ports can play them without the hassle of merging things up and without needing those programs anymore.

Programs like deusf.exe, dehacked.exe, nwt.exe, etc.

Still, those are needed for playing on pure vanilla (through DOSbox or on a PC with native DOS).

As Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay were commercial PWADs, they needed a program to merge things.

They are curiosities if you don't gonna play the conservative way. 

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

Really? So if PG-RAW-X.wad is all that I need, what are the other WAD files for?

5 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

The other files are for when you run it natively on DOS environment.

Backthen, for a megawad with custom textures and other thing to be playable on the original Doom2.exe, there was programs that let you ''merge'' the new data with the original wad to be playable.

Pretty much creating a kind of iwad to be playable.

Modern source ports can play them without the hassle of merging things up and without needing those programs anymore.

Programs like deusf.exe, dehacked.exe, nwt.exe, etc.

Still, those are needed for playing on pure vanilla (through DOSbox or on a PC with native DOS).

As Perdition's Gate and Hell 2 Pay were commercial PWADs, they needed a program to merge things.

They are curiosities if you don't gonna play the conservative way. 

Perdition's gate come with an extra PG-RAW.wad

You can pass by it, as its practically the same as PG-RAW-X.wad except for one simple lump that doesn't change anything.

6 minutes ago, Mr Masker said:

I don't completly remember seeing a woman in a chair though. Although I dont really wanna check.

i just went there looking for that :D

Doesn't found it :(

are you sure @Rudolph that you downloaded it from Mustaine's page?

EDIT: you mean the header?

well... thats are Tom's fetishes, maybe?

Interesting for sure!

I went to that page like zillions times and this is the first time i notice it.

Damn!

Doom is far more interesting than that, i suppose :/

Jokes aside, they are probably representative of Tom's work as he like to take phtographs.

Maybe there is a portpholio somewhere with his photographs.

Yeah, I was talking about the header. It is the first thing you see when the page loads. I do not want to kinkshame or anything, I was just taken aback: I had followed the link given by the DoomWiki page and for a moment I thought I had been sent to some unsavory website.

7 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

Yeah, I was talking about the header. It is the first thing you see when the page loads. I do not want to kinkshame or anything, I was just taken aback: I had followed the link given by the DoomWiki page and for a moment I thought I had been sent to some unsavory website.

Yeah, it has impact.

But the header change with every reload of the page, and, as far as i seen, there are two photos of that kind.

Mostly artistic, i may say, but well, yes, it may make someone with the guard down have a surprise for sure. 

9 hours ago, Mr Masker said:

PG-RAW (edit) Actually i think i misremembered that extract from the exe thign im very tired

Thxs for the download link. Is this a full megawad?

I never knew this existed.

Also I read the doomwiki for it but I didn't see the date it was made unless I missed it?

Edited by Korozive : Nevermind just found out it is 32 levels.

10 hours ago, Diabolución said:

Off-topic: could someone who owns an actual physical copy share an ISO of Perdition's Gate?

I would actually just love to see if there's a physical copy of Perdition's Gate. Hell, I would love to see a D!Zone copy on my hands too :P

Thumbs up! I wasn't aware of this. Pretty cool wad so far, but it is a product of it's time too. Nice time capsule.

Help.

So what is the best way to run this.

Copy the PG-RAW-X.WAD off the disk and then use which Doom program to run it.

Thanks.

David

19 minutes ago, DavidCF said:

Help.

So what is the best way to run this.

Copy the PG-RAW-X.WAD off the disk and then use which Doom program to run it.

Thanks.

David

whatever source-port that you want will work without problem as Perdition's Gate is a vanilla megawad, so its compatible with every source port out there :D
Try the one of the most advanced ones like GZDoom if you have a good PC specs, or try Woof or DSDA-Doom if you want a more traditional feeling.
;)

Just now, DavidCF said:

Hi,

Is there a way to point GZDoom to local files?

Thanks.

make a shortcut of the gzdoom.exe and put it wherever you have all the wads, then drag and drop pg-ra-x.wad over the shortcut and it will be loaded after you choose Doom 2 as IWAD.

Hi,

Found that Doom 2: Unity Edition works with PG but when I tried that with any of the WADS from D!ZONE that did not work.

There are 2 other DOOM2 entries.

DOOM 2: Hell on earth.  Do Not Work

Doom 2: BFG edition.   Do Not Work

Any suggestions?

thanks

GZdoom.png

Perdition's Gate was designed as a PWAD for Doom2: Hell on Earth and it work for it, just tested it on every sourceport i have.
I do not know what could be happening that it doesn't work for you.

Its a vanilla PWAD, and for that reason, is universally compatible with any sourceport that is able to load Doom2 as an IWAD.
So it should play with whatever version of Doom 2 you use, as the only changes on those IWADs are aesthetic changes to some graphic and nothing more.
Maybe you have something loaded along that is entering in conflict with the mapset.

Also, you say that did not work, but what did not work?
The maps didn't load or the source port crashed?

On 10/5/2021 at 4:11 PM, P41R47 said:

Perdition's Gate was designed as a PWAD for Doom2: Hell on Earth and it work for it, just tested it on every sourceport i have.
I do not know what could be happening that it doesn't work for you.

Its a vanilla PWAD, and for that reason, is universally compatible with any sourceport that is able to load Doom2 as an IWAD.
So it should play with whatever version of Doom 2 you use, as the only changes on those IWADs are aesthetic changes to some graphic and nothing more.
Maybe you have something loaded along that is entering in conflict with the mapset.

Also, you say that did not work, but what did not work?
The maps didn't load or the source port crashed?

Hi,

Sorry I used just PG instead of Perdition's Gate.

So I Found that "Doom 2: Unity Edition" worked with "Perdition's Gate" but when I tried that version of

Doom2 with any of the WADS from "D!ZONE", they did not seem to be read and the base DOOM2 started. 

No error messages.

Looked at the CD again and none of the .TXT files actually reference doom2 so it looks like it was miss-sold or was doom2 backwards

compatible with all doom wads?

Thanks

51 minutes ago, DavidCF said:

Hi,

Sorry I used just PG instead of Perdition's Gate.

So I Found that "Doom 2: Unity Edition" worked with "Perdition's Gate" but when I tried that version of

Doom2 with any of the WADS from "D!ZONE", they did not seem to be read and the base DOOM2 started. 

No error messages.

Looked at the CD again and none of the .TXT files actually reference doom2 so it looks like it was miss-sold or was doom2 backwards

compatible with all doom wads?

Thanks

so, you are not trying PG-RAW-X.wad or PG-RAW.wad?

Probably some of the wads you tried from D!Zone are for Ultimate Doom.
That was an old compendium of pwad grabbed from internet, and so, they put on cd whatever they found.
Try those that didn't work on Ultimate Doom.
And if they don't work, check for what map they were made.

Not all pwads are for map01 or E1M1.

Some are just a single map and maybe for arbitrary slots, like map15 or so.

They work, i didn't tried myself, but i know that people tried them with all the different versions of Doom 2 out there.

So its not a problem of compatibility, all the pwads on D!Zone are olds as Doom itslef, almost, so they are vanilla compatible for sure, its a problem of bad organization as the makers of D!ZONE throw all the pwads for the different games onto a single folder without especifying for what game, Ultimate Doom or Doom 2, they were made.