Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord of all demons

Best randomizer mod of Doom

There is of course no definitive answer, but I've always been partial to The Populator. It fully replaces the monsters in a map with a new set of the vanilla enemies and rebalances weapons and ammo accordingly. Since it does its magic on a copy of the input WAD, you can also use it with any port rather than just GZDoom like most randomizers.

When it comes to GZDoom randomizers, I'm not a huge fan of those that add a bunch of custom monsters, so I'm fond of Corruption Cards, which adds random gameplay modifiers, and Universal Entropy, which makes each monster slightly different in health, speed, aggressiveness, etc. (It also works on top of almost any other mod, so combining things is fun.)

I use legendoom+corruption cards, works quite nice, but still loking for decent monsters randomizer mod, not chaotic one that throws every known monster at ya (those shotgunners in flying 'cars' from duke nukem looks so silly) more vanilla and balanced, maybe

For (close-to-)vanilla gameplay with no fancy bells and whistles, that would be Vandomizer.

/shameless-self-plug

I'll agree with you on Dusted's Pandemonia, it gets even more fun if you tweak the laser beam droprates so you can actually find one :p

Other than that, Complex Doom makes a good job too even though it's more chaotic. Legendary Complex Addon is a good expansion pack for Complex, and if you don't like the legendary monsters (which I don't) you can always disable them by tweaking the file with SLADE

I honestly don't really like many standalone randomizers out there currently... they feel very bloated, very bland or just plain unbalanced/unfun most of the time, so i usually stick with more complete mods that *include* randomizers of their own like Supercharge or Project Brutality (but i do wish there was some standalone randomizer that went for quality over quantity tbh)