Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

The "actually good mod idea" thread

This seems like a thread we could really use. We only have a "stupid mod idea thread" hanging around the first page, and some people started putting their good ideas there, for a lack of better place. That can't be good.

This is a thread for your good mod ideas - interesting new things you haven't seen before, but you'd like to see them, and for one reason or another you're not planning to tackle them yourself in the near future. Instead of letting them die, share them here and maybe inspire someone.

So for starters, here's something I've been thinking about - continuous playthroughs make your progress more meaningful, but can also make you too overpowered or too prone to hoarding, completing level after level with 600 cells just in case there'll be 5 cyberdemons in the next one.

But when I played Heretic, I noticed it being somewhat different in that regard. Whenever you get more than one inventory item of the same type, you know you gotta use it up sometime soon, or else it'll be wasted as you complete the level. And that makes things more fun.

Wouldn't it be fun to implement something that in ZDoom, to create middle ground between a pistol start and a continuous playthrough? Either as a standalone mod, or a part of your ZDoom format mapset. After completing a level, you keep all your guns, but all your ammo gets drastically reduced to something like 20% of the backpack maximum - so 80 bullets, 20 shells, 20 rockets, 120 cells maximum. Continuous would get you a major advantage, but you'd still get a reason to do more resource management at the start, and spend a bit more recklessly later on.

6 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

My good idea mod would be for you making a TC :D

That's a rather non-specific mod idea, isn't it :P

Funnily enough, I was just watching a livestream of Harmony and thinking about how Thomas van der Velden is my spirit animal. But overall, I'm not sure if I have the patience to make a full-blown TC for doom... maybe I can make an exception for I'm Game (even though apparently it's been 2 years since I announced it. Heck). Feel free to poke me about it now and then, I'm still hoping I may pick it back up eventually.

20 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

Funnily enough, I was just watching a livestream of Harmony and thinking about how Thomas van der Velden is my spirit animal. But overall, I'm not sure if I have the patience to make a full-blown TC for doom... maybe I can make an exception for I'm Game (even though apparently it's been 2 years since I announced it. Heck). Feel free to poke me about it now and then, I'm still hoping I may pick it back up eventually.

Holly, F***!!!

I lurked the wads and mods section endlessly searching for unearthed gems.

How i didn't notice it is beyond me :O

I'm having a lot of Redneck Rampage vibes from the video hahaha

Strange that nobody jumped to give you help or work with you on it, you practically have half the gameplay already made (that is, the weapons :P)

I'm kinda struggling to imaging how would you implement NPC on the Doom engine.

I suppose by using the codepointers of other monsters, but you will have less monsters to use then, or just use UD as a base, kinda like REKKR did.

Aside from that, one thing i notice that nobody did is a full TC for boom/mbf to this day.

I think that would be a good mod idea ;)

Now dehextra exist, and surelly things would be greatly easier to achieve for something like that.

I think that, as an example, Duke 3D could be almost completely replicated on Boom/mbf, only thing that couldn't be possible are the sliding doors but, since is limit removing, a full use of sector instantly raising or downing could work for that effect.

(Xaser gave vague hints of making something with dehextra and umapinfo, so it may be exactly this :)

Also, since Umapinfo is here to fiddle with boom and mfb, i never seen branching paths that lead to different outcomes on any mapset, not even zdoom especifics.

I guess Dimension of the Boomed still has a fair amount of regular Doom elements, but it may be close enough to a "boom/mbf TC". And as a matter of fact, it actually features some smoothly sliding doors, using invisible blocking sectors combined with specialized blocking midtextures.

58 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

My question is how in the heck you got that neat-lookin backdrop for the menu. I wanna do that now.

21 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

My question is how in the heck you got that neat-lookin backdrop for the menu. I wanna do that now.

I guess is the M_DOOM graphic, much like Icarus: Alien Vanguard did.

Tweaking the offset could help for that.

In this case, the OPTION patch.

It becomes the paper sheet.

And the proper options are just made on a hand draw font.

@Scypek2 yes, i always forget about how amazing Dimension of the Boomed is.
I remember seeing the sliding door effect somewhere, thanks for that ;)

Edited by P41R47

2 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

After completing a level, you keep all your guns, but all your ammo gets drastically reduced to something like 20% of the backpack maximum - so 80 bullets, 20 shells, 20 rockets, 120 cells maximum. Continuous would get you a major advantage, but you'd still get a reason to do more resource management at the start, and spend a bit more recklessly later on.

Welp, I know what my first doom mod will be. How hard could it be to implement? :P

I have two ideas in mind (both take advantage of DEHEXTRA):

1. A Metroid Fusion-inspired mod where health, armor, and ammo pickups are replaced by X parasites that spawn from enemies (yellow for health, green for armor, red for any ammo). X parasites will revert to their mimic forms by spawning the enemy back. Each type of weapon would be replaced by a Core X (a rocket launcher Core X would mimic a cyberdemon, a BFG Core X would mimic a Demolisher). An X-infected arachnorb/arachnotron can use the archvile's Vile_Chase when in X form and use the resurrection move to "merge" with cybernetic parts.

2. A Doom Eternal for Crispy/Doom Retro mod. No changes for weapons, but existing enemies are given new states while completely new enemies are new enemies. An example of an extra thing would be a Tyrant that behaves similarly to the Doom 4 Vanilla cyberdemon except it's weaker and slightly faster. The Doom Hunter, OTOH, replaces either the spiderdemon or cyberdemon for blast damage and spams mancubus fireballs and revenant missiles.

4 minutes ago, Tony_Danza_the_boss said:

Jurassic Park TC? 

I just want more Dinosaurs in Doom. I was looking for a WAD that has some and I only came across one. I want something that's like Jurassic Park, Turok, or Dino Crisis. That'd be awesome. 

I have this idea of a family friendly mod.

Story

You are a little girl who sees her family get sucked into a cartoon through TV, obviously, by an evil teddy bear (or some other toy). So, you need to find them & bring them back.

Gameplay

You shoot toy weapons at evil plush dolls or other toys, like a battery-operated robots. You also save caged animals with keys you find throughout the level. The mod would also had a scoring system, kind of like DOS type of a sidescroller except it's FPS. And maybe lives.

You need to save a certain % of caged animals in order to finish the level. Saving the rest could be optional. There are regular keys as well, those are colored, obviously.

Every time you defeat the enemy, they have those halos & stars circling around their heads, like in Keen games.

And of course, secrets. :)

Music & Sound

DOS-style sound effects & music. :)

6 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

But when I played Heretic, I noticed it being somewhat different in that regard. Whenever you get more than one inventory item of the same type, you know you gotta use it up sometime soon, or else it'll be wasted as you complete the level. And that makes things more fun.

Wouldn't it be fun to implement something that in ZDoom, to create middle ground between a pistol start and a continuous playthrough? Either as a standalone mod, or a part of your ZDoom format mapset. After completing a level, you keep all your guns, but all your ammo gets drastically reduced to something like 20% of the backpack maximum - so 80 bullets, 20 shells, 20 rockets, 120 cells maximum. Continuous would get you a major advantage, but you'd still get a reason to do more resource management at the start, and spend a bit more recklessly later on.

This is definitely possible. Infact the latest version of Wayfarer's Tome mod for Heretic just implemented something similar.

-By popular demand, a Wand Start option has been added. I based it on the one by JP LeBreton and DevilBlackDeath rather than the one by m8f because it was simpler and I was able to understand it better in order to make modifications; it's possible that m8f's has some cool functionality that I'm missing, but Wand Starts seem like a simple thing, and this one works the way I want it to. Under the Wayfarer's Tome > Wand Starts menu option, you can choose either Automatic Wand Starts or Automatic Crossbow Starts. If you choose Crossbow Starts, you will enter each subsequent map with an Ethereal Crossbow with 20 ammo and the Gauntlets of the Necromancer, in addition to the Elven Wand with 50 ammo. Note: the Crossbow Start only applies if you continue from a previous map, not to the start map of an episode or if you use the ENGAGE cheat to skip maps.

1 hour ago, Retro Dino said:

I just want more Dinosaurs in Doom. I was looking for a WAD that has some and I only came across one. I want something that's like Jurassic Park, Turok, or Dino Crisis. That'd be awesome. 

dude Turok Doom would be LIT

Just as long as there’s not so much fucking pillar hopping 

10 hours ago, thelazyqdude said:

Welp, I know what my first doom mod will be. How hard could it be to implement? :P

Should be pretty easy with new ammo types! Just adding a "Inventory.InterHubAmount" property would probably suffice, though I haven't tested it. It would be more complicated if you wanted it to work with existing weapons. In that case a script could be a better solution.

Nightmare skill tweak for anything other than zdoom.

A more balanced survival challenge with quickly responding enemies. Less health for them for example. I would so love to play that.

Also, more non-zdoom mods in general.

When you start in a level, your weapon slot, ammo, health, armor will be limited, but the more your progression in other levels expand, the more your items get boundless, also, your item capacity is infinite.

Copy/pasted from a similar thread at Doomer Boards:

• TRUE DOOM PURIST CHALLENGE: born as a "mockery" of the rules Graf Zahl put on the Modest Mapping Project when in the first draft it was called the Purist Mapping (or challenge, I don't remember), he suggested to make levels in the same size and with the same number of monsters, without visplane, vissprite, save bugs and drawsegs, all using only the stock assets (no new textures, sounds, music etc. just the plain IWAD source) and playable under DOS executable of the game (in that case, Doom 2). My idea is based upon the above mentioned points of making a vanilla doom (or other iwad of choice) map of any type, the only thing important is to make with the size and number of monsters of a map from the original game and making it using only the stock assets of the chosen game, it could use new music but only from the original games (so Doom, Doom 2, TNT and other). If there's enough maps to surpass a complete megawad, the other levels will be moved to another iwad (for example, if the doom megawad reaches 40 maps, 36 will be used and the other four will be moved to the Doom 2 section and so on)
  • Doom the way 1994 / 1995 did: a megawad based upon 1994 / 1995 mapping traits and by emulating authors of the time.
  • A co-op focused mapset, it could be a nice new option, if this kind of project gain some attention.
  • A story-driven mapset with parts of the stories wrote by community members, like Hadephobia
  • A mono-thematic megawad like Oops! All Techbase
  • A musical theme inspired mapset based upon bands or genres

Here's a thought: a deathmatch-oriented mod (if not a total conversion) heavily inspired by the mechanics of Rayman M's Lum Fight. It's a regular game of deathmatch where you respawn endlessly and score points for defeating other players, but there are many interesting aspects to it.

• there are no hitscan attacks, so you have much more freedom of movement without risking unavoidable damage. On the other hand, the player speed is not as crazy as in doom, so projectiles in open spaces are far from useless.
  • everyone has just 5 hit points, and the weapons deal the same amount of damage every time (usually just 1 hit point at a time). This lets you easily keep track of your enemy's health and plan accordingly.
  • you get weapons from respawning containers. The weapons are random, and you don't know which one you'll get until you pick it up, so you can't be too picky.
  • depending on the weapon, you get between 1 to 9 shots, usually 5. So if you're paying attention it's easy to figure out the enemy's ammo count, too. You can't pick up another weapon container until you're entirely out of ammo, though it is possible to just throw away your current weapon instead of using it all up.
  • The weapons themselves have a lot of variety too, with wildly different behaviors and almost all of them well-balanced in their usefulness.
  • You can't deal damage at all once you're out of ammo, but you can still push enemies out of the way (most actual weapons don't deal any kind of knockback) while you race towards weapon containers.

I think all those gameplay mechanics have a lot of potential, and they could also be built upon, possibly adding more weapons, non-weapon items, or maybe even some other kinds of interactive level elements. As long as it doesn't doesn't disrupt the clarity and balance of the original design.

On 2/28/2021 at 7:08 AM, Walter confetti said:

Doom the way 1994 / 1995 did: a megawad based upon 1994 / 1995 mapping traits and by emulating authors of the time

wouldn't that just be rowdy rudy pls correct me if i'm wrong i haven't actually played it yet

Mapper's Block Community Project/RNG Community Project

Megawad with ideas based on randomly generated prompts.

The idea generator could generate these for example:

Large Plutonia-Styled map full of Imps
1024-style Tech Base map with an emphasis on Puzzle mechanics
Medium-sized Hell map that is also a Dead simple clone

Cel shade Doom or Doom 2 :-D

I am not sure if it is even doable (a quick google search showed me someone did a mock-up in the Unreal engine) but it sounds pretty cool to me :-D

Tighter RNG mod.

Take the current min and max damage values from everything, average them, give the resulting number a 25-30% (or any number that feels right) variance and use that instead of the current values.

Examples:

Rocket Launcher (20-160), meaning average 90 (+-30%) resulting in the Rocket Launcher dealing 63-117 damage on direct hit instead of 20-160.

Revenant missile - instead of 6-60 now deals 24-43 damage.

A hitscan attack from the player - instead of 5-15 becomes 7-13

Also make every value an option, meaning not just increments. Rocket Launcher normally deals either only 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120, 140 or 160 damage. With this mod, any value from the 63-117 would be an option.

Any decimal results for damage values are rounded up. Splash damage works the same.

The results is everything dealing the same average damage as before but with less random extreme spikes.

Edited by idbeholdME

34 minutes ago, idbeholdME said:

Tighter RNG mod.

Pretty easy to do this in Decorate/ZScript. In fact I once thought of making such a mod, but then abandoned it.

I can try making one if you want.