Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

The "actually good mod idea" thread

16 hours ago, MattFright said:

I'd download it immediately

In that case, I will hopefully make one in the weekend.

Edited by ReaperAA

this was originally in the stupid mod idea thread and people really liked it and wanted me to post it here.. so here it is...

Pirate Monkey Doom

- the Doom of Monkeys with knives and pirate hats somewhere in the Caribbian

an unholy union of pirate doom and monkey island but for GZDoom... so 3d monsters that are civilians, various NPCs, monsters, pirates, ghost pirates, zombie pirates and skeleton pirates (and also monkey pirates)

monkeypirate.png

and a doomified version of insult sword fighting... like instead of "How appropiate, you fight like a Cow" it could be "How appropiate, you fight like a Zombieman" etc... and it should allow the player to learn new insults just like in Monkey Island

the game would have both FPS, RPG (like monkey island but also like dungeons and dragons) and puzzle elements, also with some pirates of the caribbian thrown in for good measure... aiii... that be a proper piraty game matey

and then it would need 32 levels that are heavily inspired by the locations in the monkey island series

the UI and weapons would be pirate doom like (because they are awesome) and the weapons would be 3D objects

not sure if there would be cacodemons with pirate hats and eye patches but then again, they could be a part of it and they could look even better in 3D

the final boss... aka romeros head .... would be the icon of lechuck

"Icon of LeChuck", A harmless mechanical robot in the shape of the fearsome pirate LeChuck... once placed as entertainment in some unknown amusement park. Now found half-broken but still functional, in some random junkyard, beside an old yellowed picture of a Cacodemon wearing a pirate hat and an eye patch... the piratey Cacodemon in the picture must have been blind. The picture is signed "CBM from DOOMWORLD".

maybe also add secret ninjas for good measure?

Edited by CBM

On 4/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, ReaperAA said:

In that case, I will hopefully make one in the weekend.

Since this thread got dug up, have you got around to making such a mod?

A true Star Wars TC, with a specific campaign and texture and music and stuff.

Not just a weapon randomizer for Doom 2 and Dark Universe.

A DeHackEd patch that nerfs Archviles.

Now I can actually kill all the Archviles when I constantly get teleported to a room full of them.

1 hour ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Well. I did some work on it, but then I got lazy and moved on with real life. :p

A Nuclear Throne Total Conversion Mod: 

To explain, Nuclear Throne for an April Fools update back in 2014 did a "FPS" version of the game. 

The mode was discarded after April, but recently there was a mod made that replicates it with the current version.

https://golden-epsilon.itch.io/nuclear-throne-3d

However the FPS mode is much closer to something like Wolfenstein instead of anything close to Doom. I would kill for a Doom/DoomII total conversion however, and if I wasn't currently working on a separate FPS project I would love to work on it myself.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Well. I did some work on it, but then I got lazy and moved on with real life. :p

could you share the code you did so far? It would be interesting for learning purposes

14 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

11 hours ago, CBM said:

could you share the code you did so far? It would be interesting for learning purposes

This is what I had done: DoomTightRNG.zip

I think I had the damage values for most things set (for most things I believe). I didn't fix the decals and dynamic lights for new projectiles at all though.

This online loader-generator for GLAD (graphics code stuff) lets you choose which features you want your copy of the library to support, and it automatically generates it and provides a temporary download link:

https://glad.dav1d.de/

It would be so awesome if there was something like this, but for Doom resource WADs. So you could toggle, say, "Doom 1", "Proto Doom", "Doom 2" "lostres" and "OTEX", and it would automatically construct a WAD with all those textures and patches, duplicates automatically detected and removed, and everything named so there are no overlaps. Then nobody would have to manually compile texture-anthology WADs ever again.

I can think of a few obstacles explaining why this hasn't happened, but it's a cool idea. Even just having this for the textures people have posted into the public domain would be sweet.

I don't know how good this idea is, but i think it would be interesting to create a mod, which adds a weight for every weapon. For more variety one could make it like addon for Brutal Doom

My idea is where you go to the Capital (Washington, D.C) and getting on a car or tank to kill mutants or demons.

38 minutes ago, DannyMan said:

My idea is where you go to the Capital (Washington, D.C) and getting on a car or tank to kill mutants or demons.

use omnitank and make a city map -> done

@ReaperAA: Cool!

I would love to see more mods like supercharge, mods that focus alot on being used for mapping.

One thing I would see is a Doom version of a quake mod called Progs_Dump.
This mod adds in alot of new customizability with monsters and items even down with adding new models, all in editor.

Something like this for doom would be awesome.

Being able to change the projectile,health, speed, ect of a monster in the editor would be awesome.

10 minutes ago, DannyMan said:

I may lack the required experience needed in order to create a level based on the Capital.

Fair enough.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:48 PM, Theperson said:

I would love to see more mods like supercharge, mods that focus alot on being used for mapping.

One thing I would see is a Doom version of a quake mod called Progs_Dump.
This mod adds in alot of new customizability with monsters and items even down with adding new models, all in editor.

Something like this for doom would be awesome.

Being able to change the projectile,health, speed, ect of a monster in the editor would be awesome.

This. Not enough gameplay mods focused around the mappers.

A wad where the only weapon is the BFG, but the twist is that the BFG ball passes through demons without dealing damage and you can only kill things with the tracers when it hits a wall. The maps themselves are designed with a ton of open space with only a few pillars dotted around the place so you have to be very strategic and time your shots carefully to kill anything. Lots of delayed BFG shots.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:46 PM, mewbusi said:

A Nuclear Throne Total Conversion Mod:

Whoa, I completely missed this post! And this is something I've been thinking of too, a Nuclear Throne TC would rule. A few different characters, mutations, a limited weapon loadout with universal ammo types... a full-on procedurally generated roguelike would be less feasible, but there could still be randomness and nonlinearity. I certainly wouldn't mind playing a Nuclear Throne inspired game with more complex, intelligently designed levels!

On 10/7/2021 at 6:12 PM, BetelgeuseSupergiant said:

I don't know how good this idea is, but i think it would be interesting to create a mod, which adds a weight for every weapon. For more variety one could make it like addon for Brutal Doom

Depends on what "weapon weight" means. An inventory limit that lets you carry five small guns or two big ones, or being more agile while carrying less? Could work either way, but that depends entirely on how the weapons and monsters work. Brutal Doom could be a good fit for tactical gameplay mods, with its reloading and more capable monsters and whatnot.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:00 PM, Kinsie said:

Ideas are the easy bit.

Does that include good ideas?

Anyway... I remembered this thread because I've been watching a video about Deus Ex, and that in turn made me think of various ways RPG mechanics could be implemented in Doom engine...

...oh yeah, by the way, here's one good mod idea: maybe make something for Strife? Anything at all? I'm not asking for Strife to become half as popular as Doom, but there's 7 Strife wads in the entirety of idgames. SEVEN. Most of them are all combat, no story, and that's actually fine, Strife retains some of its unique flavor even when the mapper is just trying to make a Doom map. You've got the tranquilizer crossbow, a stealth powerup that actually works, human enemies don't even attack you by default... but a Strife wad that actively tries to be more than an FPS would be just perfect. Whether it's simply by making fights avoidable through sneaking dialogue, sneaking or some kind of environmental puzzles. Or maybe put the power of ZDoom to use and make it possible to, I dunno, hack and hijack those annoying robots you can't have a polite conversation with?

By the way, here's a specific thing about the original Deus Ex that made me pause the video I was watching to make this post - often enough, there are locked containers with goodies, and you can get their contents by either locating a key somehow, or being good enough at picking locks and having a lockpick handy. There's yet another solution, though - blow up an entire row of lockers and access all of their contents, at the cost of precious rocket ammo you could've been using against giant robots instead. Now that's how you perfectly combine an RPG with an FPS! No pun intended.

7 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Depends on what "weapon weight" means. An inventory limit that lets you carry five small guns or two big ones, or being more agile while carrying less? Could work either way, but that depends entirely on how the weapons and monsters work. Brutal Doom could be a good fit for tactical gameplay mods, with its reloading and more capable monsters and whatnot.

Every gun should have definite weight and player can carry limited number of weapons. That means, what player sometimes will be necessary drop some weapons to grab new one. For example, machinegun and BFG9000 is pretty heavy, and player can't carry machinegun and BFG at the same time.

.mid in Name Only

Original MIDI pieces that follow the prompts of the track name.

For example: DOOM can either be: Rockin' DOOM-style metal, or impending DOOM

26 minutes ago, dotQLL said:

.mid in Name Only

Original MIDI pieces that follow the prompts of the track name.

For example: DOOM can either be: Rockin' DOOM-style metal, or impending DOOM

And 'Hiding the Secrets' will be a MIDI where every note is silent, and to hear the song, you have to modify the MIDI in order to make every note have an audible velocity.

Hexen II as if it was released for the Doom Engine, it doesn't has to be 100% faithful to the original, some creative liberties should be taken such as using sprites based on the 3D models but adapted to look like they were digitized photos of models, more monsters that fit Thyrion's continents theme (i.e: wereeagles and aztec based warrior priests for Mazaera, Cyclops, Satyrs, and zombified legionaries for Septimus), better, challenging final boss fight with Eidolon, level design that fits Hexen but leans more towards Heretic as in more action oriented than puzzle oriented.

I'd love to see a Blake Stone TC, using the assets and art from the original games (maybe combining Aliens of Gold and Planet Strike), but utilizing the Doom engine to make the environments way more interesting. Along the same lines of Doom-ifying older DOS games, the Hocus Pocus TC a few years back made me wish someone would make something similar based on Bio Menace.

1 hour ago, Solmyr said:

Hexen II as if it was released for the Doom Engine, it doesn't has to be 100% faithful to the original, some creative liberties should be taken such as using sprites based on the 3D models but adapted to look like they were digitized photos of models, more monsters that fit Thyrion's continents theme (i.e: wereeagles and aztec based warrior priests for Mazaera, Cyclops, Satyrs, and zombified legionaries for Septimus), better, challenging final boss fight with Eidolon, level design that fits Hexen but leans more towards Heretic as in more action oriented than puzzle oriented.

A few years back I chatted with John Romero about Hecatomb, the game Raven were originally going to follow Hexen with, after a talk he gave here in the UK. The ideas they had for it sounded amazing and I'd love to see someone make it for real.

18 minutes ago, blackthorn said:

I'd love to see a Blake Stone TC, using the assets and art from the original games (maybe combining Aliens of Gold and Planet Strike), but utilizing the Doom engine to make the environments way more interesting. Along the same lines of Doom-ifying older DOS games, the Hocus Pocus TC a few years back made me wish someone would make something similar based on Bio Menace.

Yeah, Blake Stone is good. I would love to see Doom engine adaptation of Blake Stone: Aliens of Gold. It's probably best game that uses Wolfenstein 3D engine. Too bad that the franchise died with JAM Productions. Maybe combining it with Planet Strike is a good idea, I think. Too bad that second Blake Stone game as well the last Blake Stone game.

1 hour ago, blackthorn said:

One was already started by AFADoomer, although it faithfully recreates the maps of E1, but in any case it could be used as a base (which we discussed and got permission for in this thread). I dipped my toe into it but I'm nowhere near ready to jump in for real:

https://github.com/AFADoomer/Blake-Stone-TC/

+1 for Bio Menace also, that would be awesome

8 hours ago, blackthorn said:

A few years back I chatted with John Romero about Hecatomb, the game Raven were originally going to follow Hexen with, after a talk he gave here in the UK. The ideas they had for it sounded amazing and I'd love to see someone make it for real.

That's a pretty cool anecdote, never heard about that unreleased sequel before though. If you don't mind if i ask ¿What did Romero shared with you about Hecatomb? Did some of those ideas went onto other projects of his like Quake or Daikatana? 

1 hour ago, Solmyr said:

That's a pretty cool anecdote, never heard about that unreleased sequel before though. If you don't mind if i ask ¿What did Romero shared with you about Hecatomb? Did some of those ideas went onto other projects of his like Quake or Daikatana? 

Sure, no problem. Romero has mentioned the game in passing here and there, and actually briefly touched on it during his talk as he was speaking about his involvement with Raven during the development of both Heretic and Hexen (which was more than you might realise). Hecatomb was intended to be the third game in a trilogy, but Romero left id before the project had really got off the ground, and at that point his involvement with Raven ended. As a massive fan of Heretic and Hexen I took the opportunity to speak to him after the talk to hear more about it.

This information is taken from another source online but pretty much covers what he told me:

The player assumed a role of 3 different classes with 3 different types in each class. Similar to the Dungeons and Dragons Lawful/Neutral/Evil alignments each class had a good/bad side to it.

Fighter: Good = Paladin / Neutral = Warrior / Evil = Berserker
Mage: Good = Archmage / Neutral = Wizard / Evil = Necromancer
Thief: Good = Rouge / Neutral = Thief / Evil = Assassin

Depending on the players class/alignment and level of progress the game would randomly choose an automatic event to happen at certain points in levels.
The world design surrounding Hecatomb would be explored like one massive area divided into hubs (for it to run properly on systems). The player had to explore around the surrounding areas of a giant ages old castle, the various areas (such as swamps, caves, etc.) would naturally connect to central parts of the castle. After exploring all the areas the player would be given access to the deep regions inside the castle, where a dragon is guarding a powerful relic and treasure horde. After defeating the dragon and the player acquiring what they were after the area caves in and exposes and even older extensive underground network of catacombs -- at the end of which is a very old and evil Demilich that the player had to kill to escape.

He went into a bit more detail on the specifics, not all of which I can remember. I certainly remember him saying that there would be some dynamic shifting of the game world as you progressed to open up later areas underneath the main castle. It sounded fantastic and it's a real shame it never got made. As much as I enjoy Hexen II, Hecatomb sounded far more ambitious.

@blackthorn Thanks! It was an interesting read and indeed Hecatomb would've been an ambitious sequel to Hexen, at least some of the ideas like the player classes and the castles were adapted into Hexen II.

It's also interesting how some of the ideas such as exploring castles and facing a dragon are simillar to Quake's concepts, IIRC the dragon was originally a scrapped mid-boss that was then made into the final boss of Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, and that Demilich boss seems like a throwback to Heretic given that Demiliches in D&D are floating skulls. A pity that these concepts were dropped before getting more developed into different drafts and concept art so someone could make a mod or a game based on those ideas.