Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scypek2

The "actually good mod idea" thread

Heretic but it's fantasy Bronze Age Middle East/ Persia.

Heretic but it's inspired by Gnosticism and Hermeticism.

Hexen but it's fantasy 3rd-5th century Rome.

Hexen but it's fantasy Balkan/ Eastern European medieval.

Hexen but it's fantasy Iberia during the Reconquista.

Hexen but it's fantasy Italian Wars.

Hexen but it's fantasy 30 Years War.

Hexen but it's fantasy Muslim/ Zoroastrian Anatolia, Levant and Persia.

Hexen but it's got Diablo 1 atmosphere and Diablo 1 inspired textures/ enemies/ weapons.

Hexen but it's set in the Disciples universe, 4 different versions for each of the factions.

Edited by rzh

Dark souls in clasic doom, in the last few years we have goten some very nice magic mods like schism and abysm. All we need is a mapset that feels like a souls game.

A mod in which its map design, art direction, and story gets progressively worse with each level, with MAP30 just being a note saying something to the effect of "we ran outta money byeeeee :)", not something akin to Mock 2, as in, crap but still playable normally.
what about it?

Half Life 3 in Doom 2, but most enemies are sprite based, except the large synths which use models in the style of Quake 2.

Okay okay, i have a idea for a TC.

a TC(Or a Gameplay mod!) about Jason Vorhees(a serial killer in Friday the 13th series) that the player is killer with his famous machete(with new weapons like axe, chainsaw and a hammer)

Or maybe about Michael Myers!(anthor serial killer in Halloween series) that the play is the Michael with his Knife.

I can't make a TC because i'm new to doom modding and already making a wad, so i cant make this.

I really appreciate if anyone make this TC or gameplay mod!

Knee-Deep in Eternity (and like the other 1 million source ports out there)

Doom RPG for Doom II, in a similar vein to Doom 64 for Doom II

Predators TC:

A wad meant to take advantage of the invisibility powerup within a fitting theme. All enemies are human hitscanners, and the player is Predator. Invisibility lasts longer and makes enemies 75% less accurate.

Levels take place in jungle areas with plenty of trees and huts for hiding space, with a lot of verticality. Predator can leap high in the air, and has suitable melee attacks for close combat.

The Predator can only use energy (non-hitscan) weapons. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Carl Weathers relentlessly stalk the player, much like Mr. X from Scythe 2.

You could also throw a Xenomorph or two in there somewhere.

an extremely complicated tactical multiplayer fps made in the doom engine. something like csgo. idk if its possible but it would be pretty cool

On 3/13/2022 at 12:22 PM, Uncle Death said:

Dark souls in clasic doom, in the last few years we have goten some very nice magic mods like schism and abysm.

Well, I do have 'Doomed Souls' as an optional mode in Walpurgis. Gives you a limited use Kestus Flask and everything. I'm sure you can find some gothic grimdark wads somewhere to go with it.

Hexen but it's fantasy 3rd-5th century Rome.

Well, Hexen II has a Roman section (the 4th Hub). Though that's Quake engine. In my interpretation of the Hexen Legion, I also made them kinda roman or probably more early Byzantine. Baratus can dual-wield Wind-Enchanted Gladii.

A community project where in addition to the usual boilerplate rules, there would also be a big list of different mapping restrictions or rules.
This big list of restrictions/rules would not apply for every map, but rather each participating mapper would be given for example 5 random restrictions/rules from the big list, and they would have to choose 3 out of the 5 restrictions/rules for their map. Probably would be fair to let them re-roll a couple of times too.

Back in the stupid doom mods thread, someone mentioned something called "Ultra Nightmare", and it put me in mind of the Ultra Nightmare difficulties from Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal. Simply put, all the monsters are at their most aggressive, do the most damage out of all the difficulties, and you can't use cheats (essentially what classic Nightmare would be like without the respawning monsters), and once you die, that is it for your run. We'd need a way to prevent savescumming though...

Doom except instead of fighting demons in and out of hell, your targets are cordyceps-infected zombie bugs in a miniature world. The regular helmet our protagonist dons would take on an insectoid, Kamen Rider-esque appearance. The most brainpower I've yet invested in this concept is rough, unfinished sketches of the surrogate imp and demon enemies--ants and stag beetles, respectively. Other ideas for the insect stand-ins of classic doom monsters thus far: Cyberdemon (emperor scorpion), Spider Mastermind (tarantula), Cacodemon (butterfly), Pain Elemental (moth), Lost Soul (fly), Arachnotron (black widow spider), and Revenant (praying mantis). The former human enemies would all be orthopterans, with the Zombiemen being crickets, Shotgun guys being grasshoppers, and Chaingunners being wētāpunga.

Epson_052820231408501(small).png

Additions:

All ranged attacks would be variations of a harming spore dispersal. Ant-imps would have an animation of releasing a mushroom cloud-like spray (as depicted above), while the actual projectiles would be similar to the regular Doom fireball attacks. Tonally, the game would be a mix of horror and whimsy. There would be NPC bugs, such as a female wolf spider that crafted the player's suit out of silk. Armor upgrade items would also be spider-related.

Because it's fun and I need the creative outlet, I've started to refine my sketches digitally:

Untitled536_20230528235128.jpg

Edited by ginoskewer

14 minutes ago, ginoskewer said:

Doom except instead of fighting demons in and out of hell, your targets are cordyceps-infected zombie bugs in a miniature world.

Call it "The Last of Bugs".

7 hours ago, Klear said:

Call it "The Last of Bugs".

That's a fun name. I've personally been mulling over "A Bug's Strife" but I don't know if it's catchy enough.

I've been working on a game for gzdoom, basic idea is callisto protocol, resident evil, and dead space with furries. Gonna give away the name here: DEAD SIGNAL

Necromancing this thread instead of creating a new one because I think there is good discussion to be had here.

An idea I'd like to release to the community is called "Gnome More Mr. Nice Guy" It's heretic but the player is a gnome that naturally has the same dimensions as the chicken. You lean into the improved mobility, probably need to add at least one new enemy that can follow you into little tunnels, need some new door textures, etc. Other than that keep gameplay pretty stock.

Being recently more active on Doomworld, I see a lot of cool threads I never saw!

Here is a project idea I had, for which I wanted to make a single level.

As a big F-Zero player, the drought until F-Zero 99 had me try on a few games, and one in particular stood out: Fast Racing Neo (and it's Switch re-release, Fast Rmx)

To simplify what this game is, is basically F-Zero with a color switch mechanic similar to what you would find in Ikaruga.

And I thought "Wait, could you possibly make something similar in Doom?"

The basic idea is: Monsters come in two "colors" (or breeds if you prefer), white and black. The black ones can only be damaged by white weapons, and the white ones can only by damaged by black weapons. The atmosphere of the level would be a stone made out of white and black marble mostly, something mostly monochrome.

By extension, such a mod would allow to create "monster weaknesses" but sadly I wasn't able to execute this properly. I want to maintain a Boom format compatibility at best, as I know that ABCDEFGZDoom will allow such an idea to exist.

My basic idea to create those weapons would be to have projectile based weapons that would deal negative damage, and make monsters of a certain type have negative health. My understanding of monster health is that death is triggered when health reaches 0. Sadly, some ports differ in how they handle such oddities. I still think a limited version of this can be done, but I have yet to figure out how.