Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Friezus Christ

DoMarinesDreamofTechbase?.wad (Sorta my take on E1M1)

AAAYYEEEEOOOO!!

Just dropped this map for download today. Been working on it the last week and a half, it came to me in a dream and I had to make it. It uses stock textures from Doom & Doom2. Only has ultra-violence difficulty atm, honestly forgot to even adjust the monster count. It's not very difficult, a few intense fights but nothing totally unfair. This is more so a demo anyway, I will be messing with this map a tad more, as I may turn this into a small scenario. There are 246 monsters, 8 secrets where some are a bit cryptic & some not much, but you gotta work for'em.  A few fun little battles and very inspired by episode 1 of Doom. It runs in GZDoom, Zdoom and Skulltag without issue. 

Anywhooo, enjoy! I hope ya'll have fun with this little map'o mine here. Let me know what can be done to improve combat, if there needs to be better ammo/health pickups and whatever else comes to mind. 

***FIXED LINK*** https://www.mediafire.com/file/4o6fkivhrcdwde8/DoMarinesDreamofTechbase.zip/file

Screenshot_Doom_20210221_055125.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210221_055027.png

Screenshot_Doom_20210221_054936.png

Edited by Friezus Christ

11 hours ago, Phytolizer said:

Download link doesn't work :(

11 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Y8mHv57.png

Where's your WAD at, fam?

Sheit! Sorry, forgot to post the link. Had a minor error with the map I uploaded, had to fix some line defs that were facing the wrong way. Here's a fixed version, forgot to post the link here. My bad! https://www.mediafire.com/file/4o6fkivhrcdwde8/DoMarinesDreamofTechbase.zip/file

Pretty fun map, fam. My only real gripe is that having a chaingun a little earlier would've made it just that tad even more fun. Maybe bring out some of those chaingunners you've got stuck behind bars or something or just bring the pick up in a little earlier because by the time the pick-up chaingun's available, I had almost no use for it. Otherwise, lovely stuff.

Very fun map, I've been used to playing smaller maps so this was a fun surprise. The final fight was really intense, but not too difficult. Only got half of the secrets, some of them are very well hidden. Great detail and texture work.

I had a good amount of fun but I wish the chaingun was given to you way earlier. Had to wipe out the revenants with a lift & berserk since I opened up the fight before getting the new gear. Otherwise, the rest of the map was blasting weak enemies with a shotgun & progressing.

Layout & Design: 8/10.

Gameplay: 7.5/10.

Detailing: 7.5/10.

Overall: 9/10.

On 2/26/2021 at 10:28 PM, Biodegradable said:

Pretty fun map, fam. My only real gripe is that having a chaingun a little earlier would've made it just that tad even more fun. Maybe bring out some of those chaingunners you've got stuck behind bars or something or just bring the pick up in a little earlier because by the time the pick-up chaingun's available, I had almost no use for it. Otherwise, lovely stuff.

Thanks for the video! Good to see how people play through it. As for the chaingun, I feel you on that. I did have it near the start earlier in development. I decided to take it away as I thought it made the level a little too easy. I'll defs put it back closer to the beginning, note taken! Thanks for playing and I am glad you had fun with it!  

On 2/26/2021 at 11:07 PM, Doritos420 said:

Very fun map, I've been used to playing smaller maps so this was a fun surprise. The final fight was really intense, but not too difficult. Only got half of the secrets, some of them are very well hidden. Great detail and texture work.

Thank you! It got a little bigger than I had originally planned, lol. I got another in the works, it's pretty large so far. Good to know about the finally battle! I hoped for it to put a lot of pressure on the player but not to be too difficult for a map01 level. Yeah, the better secrets are pretty cryptic at times. I don't like to give away the good stuff all that easy. Thanks! It's probably due to my ocd, always have to get the texturing just right.

Thank you for playing and I'm happy you had fun with it! Going to turn this into a mini wad, possibly a full mega wad, but that'll take some time. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:21 AM, thelazyqdude said:

I had a good amount of fun but I wish the chaingun was given to you way earlier. Had to wipe out the revenants with a lift & berserk since I opened up the fight before getting the new gear. Otherwise, the rest of the map was blasting weak enemies with a shotgun & progressing.

Layout & Design: 8/10.

Gameplay: 7.5/10.

Detailing: 7.5/10.

Overall: 9/10.

Note taken my fren, I will move the chaingun closer to the start. I did have it accessible early on, but figured it made it a little too easy. AH! That's gotta be fixed then! The player is supposed to be locked in that arena. A very large oversight! Thanks for the heads up, gonna fix that bit. And good to know, I'll place more ammo around that area then. 

Thank you for playing and the feed back! It is greatly appreciated!  

i'm not really good at map analysis, so i can only say that i played it (twice), and it was fun both times! i like the bits of environmental storytelling, and that arena fight -- there is enough place to run, good cover, and in the same time the player cannot hide in some alcove and snipe monsters one by one. texturing work is great too.

bring us more maps of at least the same quality! please! ;-)

This is an absolutely amazing level you have made there, nice one! A good way of making secrets too, enjoyed the exploration for them.

I also like the MIDI used for this map as well, keep it up:)

On 3/4/2021 at 10:12 AM, ketmar said:

i'm not really good at map analysis, so i can only say that i played it (twice), and it was fun both times! i like the bits of environmental storytelling, and that arena fight -- there is enough place to run, good cover, and in the same time the player cannot hide in some alcove and snipe monsters one by one. texturing work is great too.

bring us more maps of at least the same quality! please! ;-)

Thank you! I appreciate the input greatly! Good to know the map is fun enough to play through twice. Aha, I typically go a little crazy with detailing, but I decided to keep it at a minimum for this. Always end up spending too much time on environmental story telling. Glad you enjoyed that bit, it's one of the many joys I find in map making. Good to know the arena turned out decent, was worried it might be a little too crowded. The player was supposed to be trapped in there, but I guess I overlooked the function of that trap. it'll be fixed when I drop my 3 level demo. Currently working on 2 maps, hope to have the demo wad out in the next week or two. 

"bring us more maps of at least the same quality! please! ;-)"

Indeed I shall! 

23 hours ago, Omniplex said:

This is an absolutely amazing level you have made there, nice one! A good way of making secrets too, enjoyed the exploration for them.

I also like the MIDI used for this map as well, keep it up:)

Well thank you very much! Thanks for playing it and I am happy you had fun with it! Aha, yeah I sometimes think I go a little overboard with making the secrets at times. They can be a little difficult to find, but that's the point of secrets no? 

The MIDI is actually Secret Society by Title Fight, lol. I do enjoy it myself. I may change the MIDI though, not entirely sure. 

Thank you playing and for the kind words! 

Here's the actual song.

7 minutes ago, Friezus Christ said:

The player was supposed to be trapped in there, but I guess I overlooked the function of that trap.

i didn't even tried to run away, lol. but i am not completely dumb, i was smart enough to not press both switches "just because i can". ;-)

On 3/5/2021 at 8:09 PM, Dubbagdarrel said:

@Friezus Christ Lord Friezus I have done as you command

Thank you for giving it a playthrough! I enjoyed the bantz you had during the video. Very entertaining! And thank you for the kind words too! I'm gonna drop a demo with a few more levels soon. I'll be sure to send it your way. Keep on making that awesome content and being you brodo! 

1 hour ago, Friezus Christ said:

Thank you for giving it a playthrough! I enjoyed the bantz you had during the video. Very entertaining! And thank you for the kind words too! I'm gonna drop a demo with a few more levels soon. I'll be sure to send it your way. Keep on making that awesome content and being you brodo! 

Thank you so much man. And I will definitely play your other maps :)

Very good texturing and detailing work, few complaints there, except maybe the use of textures without transitions around the lifts in the final room. I have to agree that the map isn't terribly difficult even without the chaingun, there is a very generous amount of health and ammo, more than enough to handle the enemies and their placement given. Good use of a secret rocket launcher which isn't overpowering thanks to the lack of ammo.

I found 6 of 8 secrets my first playthrough (well, 7 of 8, but I didn't pick up the Berserk on the crate because I didn't need it). I will note that one of the secrets was a door that opened up a UAC logo, but there was nothing in that closet that I could tell. Maybe it used to hold a Megaarmor? I did note having 200 armor unaccounted for about that time. I might have picked it up through the door, so perhaps move that back a bit so the door needs to be opened first. Another secret had a cell pack, but there was no plasma rifle or BFG.

My biggest issue is that it's a long map and doesn't provide much challenge. It's fine to keep introductory maps simple, but one of the worst sins a map can create is being boring (I've had this problem in some of my maps). By the time the challenge ramps up and tougher enemies appear, the map is essentially over.

I'll also note that there seemed to be a great many enemies used with the Ambush flag. A problem with this is that over-use of ambushing enemies trains the player to expect the ambush and look for it, and when they look for it, they can pick the enemies off for free at no risk. They slow the pace and inflate the monster count without having an effect on the difficulty of the map. I'm playing another mapset which has this issue. Play a few levels of "Epic 2" and you'll see how constant ambushes get repetitive.