Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
UnknDoomer

What conditions are to call a folk an "True Doom Veteran"?

Or more rare one "Doom Elite Guard" and extra "Ace of All Decks" (play on words; decks - maps)?

Complete all classic games on Ultra-Violence? Beat 100+ PWAD's? Play Doom for 20+ years continuously? Meet a cyberdemon in your dream? Make your pick.

Topic is sort of continue of this thread

Edited by UnknDoomer

3 hours ago, UnknDoomer said:

Beat 100+ PWAD's?

Seems you edited this but I found this much more interesting before ("100+ PWAD's")

My new criteria:

• Make 100 Cacoward winning or runner-up PWADs
  • Win 100 random full-lobby ZDaemon/Zandronum/Odamex Deathmatch lobby matches
  • Be able to name 100 PWADs

Depend on what you mean by veteran.

I play since it come out, so i may say i'm a veteran at dooming.

But if you mean a good player, well thats different.

You can be a good player but don't know anything about Doom, for strange that may sound.

My own opinion of what a real Doom veteran is pretty much that you have played through at least Doom and Doom 2 (Final Doom is a plus but not a hard requirement) multiple times (any difficulty but UV is a plus) throughout the late 1990s and early 2000s into present day and have played at least a few of the well known megawads like Memento Mori and such.

Basically, you are someone who's been with the Doom scene for a very long time. I see it as more of an over time thing for a veteran status.

If you can beat a super hard map no saves from pistol start, congrats you are a very good Doom player. However I would not say that alone makes you a veteran.

Edited by Nevander

Beating a super duper hard level pacifist. I'm talking about hitscan hell levels (hello plutonia)

For me, beating levels in nightmare is the "must" requirement to be a true veteran master doomer (FOR ME),  even if it's way too easy, if you can beat a level in the joke difficulty you're a fucking master

4 hours ago, NoXion said:

For me the only distinguishing feature that makes any sense is how long you've been Dooming. Even if your skills never become outstanding, you still learn a lot of things about the game simply by maintaining your interest in it for so long. You get to know Doom like an old friend who can still manage to surprise you now and again.

Now that is Poetry!

my first experience was Doom 64 in 1999. I've been playing Doom 1 and 2 with custom WADs since 2004. I been editing since 2005. Saw the first movie in the theater with my father at the age of 13, (still remember how disappointing it was). Remember when Doom 3 came out and I got it for christmas and never could get it to run above like 20 FPS because I was trying to play it on my sisters stock Walmart computer. I own a physical copy of every doom game ever made, even the handhelds. I own a Cacodemon piggy bank. Wrote a song about the Slayer on my first album. played through 2016 on nightmare 3 times. Own 3 Doom t-shirts........

It's one of the most influential/impactful and favorite things in my life.

I still have a ways to go I think before I could be considered a "true" fan, but what do I know?

But seriously who cares? If you're a fan then you're a fan.

Edited by Dubbagdarrel

For being a TRUE Doom Veteran, there are a few conditions imo.

First there is how long you play the game for. Even if you dont get good at the game, you learn a lot of nooks and crannies about the games and their engine. Yet you can also get good with practice and eventually be able to try your hand at beating at least a slaughter map.

I also prefer Engagement with the community to be another condition. Take someone like Doomkid for example, who has been very active within the community and has participated in many projects over a timespan of years. I bet if you have a Forum Legend rank (if not a custom one) on these forums and joined like in 2000 I consider you a TRUE Doom Veteran.

Just like with every scene, the more mainstream it becomes (and we've got many newcomers since Doom 2016 here), the more people start asking who is true and who is not.

4 minutes ago, Orchid87 said:

Just like with every scene, the more mainstream it becomes (and we've got many newcomers since Doom 2016 here), the more people start asking who is true and who is not.

"Oh, you were brought here by the new "Doom"?  That's cute, but come back when you've been playing TRVE DØØM for 30 years, you casual"

In fairness though I haven't seen a single person actually say that unironically here.  We're a pretty chill bunch overall <3

The criterion to be a True Doom Veteran is to be John Romero, we're all fucking casuals you guys

7 minutes ago, StupidBunny said:

"Oh, you were brought here by the new "Doom"?  That's cute, but come back when you've been playing TRVE DØØM for 30 years, you casual"

In fairness though I haven't seen a single person actually say that unironically here.  We're a pretty chill bunch overall <3

The criterion to be a True Doom Veteran is to be John Romero, we're all fucking casuals you guys

Can we give Tom Hall an award for being the first banned Doomer?

vet·er·an

/ˈvedərən,ˈvetrən/

noun

noun: veteran; plural noun: veterans

a person who has had long experience in a particular field.

"a veteran of two world wars"

That settles it.

Why do we have to give people nebulous titles because they played a video game and qualify it with some kind of arbitrary standard that means absolutely fuck all?

Just play Doom and have fun, for crying out loud.

I would say it would be someone who contributed something to doom culture, like making megawad, let's play videos and so on.

Anyone can play game, but participating on some comunity project is a whole different deal imo.

1 hour ago, joepallai said:

You're not a true Doom veteran until you no longer give a shit if people consider you one.

Oh no, they cracked the code.

you need to finish Doom, Doom II, and Final Doom on both nightmare tyson and nightmare pacifist reality stroller, and -- very important -- max out 100% items and secrets in both runs.