Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Anthem NEXT has been cancelled

1 hour ago, seed said:

An example of that would be Aliens Colonial Marines, which even after some 9GBs of patches, was still not a worthwhile experience - bad story, abysmal AI, buggy multiplayer, dated graphics, way too much killing of synthetics instead of Xenos, mediocre gunplay, and the list goes on. That stuff was just bad, simply put. You can't polish a turd.

That one is not worth playing either, even with the ACM Overhaul mod?

1 hour ago, Skootroot said:

But didn't the first game flop? Why would they make a sequel?

They were not; they were reworking the game, like Bungie did with Destiny 2 and Hello Games with No Man's Sky.

27 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

That one is not worth playing either, even with the ACM Overhaul mod?

Honestly, I have no idea, never seen or tried it with mods. But it seems even the author says that his mod does not save the game from what it is ultimately, just improves it, but it is what it is.

Frankly, even DNF2011 might be a more fun experience, because at least it doesn't take itself serious, and failing miserably at it. DNF2011 is aggressively mediocre, while ACM is just plain bad.

I do not know, the footage of the mod in action makes the game look kind of fun. If I can get Aliens: Colonial Marines for free or super cheap, I might give it a shot.

12 hours ago, sluggard said:

Can developers not put one last update to make the game playable offline (if it doesn't already have offline mode) or use dedicated servers whenever they're done with it? also plenty of games using the GaaS model that have largely proven to be successful. PUBG, GTA Online, Warframe, Division 1, 2, Overwatch, ESO, Final Fantasy 14, TF2, R6 Siege, BF1, Diablo 3, Destiny 2, CSGO....etc

That'd certainly be a terrific alternative to the mass grave of online games throughout history we've seen so far, man. For every game you listed here currently being sustained, there's a thousand more corpses.

19 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Well, it seems to have worked with Destiny 2 and No Man's Sky, no?

The first Destiny game was popular enough, wasn't it? So a sequel would make sense. Anthem never felt that popular to me even during the first outing, and the players who stuck around after the initial launch period didn't even get all the content that was promised in the pipeline. NMS was a game that over-promised and under-delivered right out of the gate, so the only way they could go is up from there.

Edited by NoXion

4 hours ago, NoXion said:

The first Destiny game was popular enough, wasn't it?

I don't think it did well financially speaking , considering  the game's massive budget  Ignore this post. I shall wear the dunce cap once more.

Edited by Silhou3tte : I'm an idiot

54 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Where on Earth did you get that idea? Destiny did stupidly well.

My bad. I once heard somewhere that it did not do particularly well. Especially with it’s large budget. Ignore my post.

The first Destiny game was popular enough, wasn't it? So a sequel would make sense. Anthem never felt that popular to me even during the first outing, and the players who stuck around after the initial launch period didn't even get all the content that was promised in the pipeline. NMS was a game that over-promised and under-delivered right out of the gate, so the only way they could go is up from there.

No, I meant Destiny 2 got massively reworked post-release.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

No, I meant Destiny 2 got massively reworked post-release.

Sure, but the audience for Anthem always seemed a much thinner gruel than the audience for the Destiny franchise, which has at least one successful game under its belt. Maybe it's just the gaming circles I move in, but my impression is that Destiny 2 wasn't as badly received as Anthem.

10 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

That'd certainly be a terrific alternative to the mass grave of online games throughout history we've seen so far, man. For every game you listed here currently being sustained, there's a thousand more corpses.

You may have a point, I'm not that well versed in this whole big brain gaas thing so I wouldn't know.

Sure, but the audience for Anthem always seemed a much thinner gruel than the audience for the Destiny franchise, which has at least one successful game under its belt. Maybe it's just the gaming circles I move in, but my impression is that Destiny 2 wasn't as badly received as Anthem.

I have not played Destiny, but I was told its sequel did disappoint; otherwise, Bungie would not have scrambled to rework Destiny 2, even going as far as to make the base game free to play to attract new players. And in regard to unsuccessful games getting a sequel, never forget that RAGE 2 is a thing.

3 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

And in regard to unsuccessful games getting a sequel, never forget that RAGE 2 is a thing.

RAGE 2 exists.... it simply is.

( not saying it’s strictly a bad game, just a forgettable one and a sequel literally no one asked for)

20 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

I have not played Destiny, but I was told its sequel did disappoint; otherwise, Bungie would not have scrambled to rework Destiny 2, even going as far as to make the base game free to play to attract new players.

They went F2P after they parted ways with Activision, Destiny 2 was so successful they were even going to make a third one, but after the split they decided to just continue expanding on Destiny 2 instead.

Edited by sluggard

23 minutes ago, Silhou3tte said:

RAGE 2 exists.... it simply is.

( not saying it’s strictly a bad game, just a forgettable one and a sequel literally no one asked for)

Edited by [McD]James

Yeah, Rage may not have been a ball-busting game, but it was not trash either, so it's no surprise at least some people would have loved to see a sequel to that game.

Now, whether the sequel delivered, is a different story - and one that depends on who you ask too.