Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dragonfly

Cacophony - A MIDI Album

This goes in the backseat at work (I am joking.)

I love midi ablums, so this bears no exception. I like what Doom community members do with its possibilities and limitations.

Would you say these works are worthy to put up on Spotify? There is a severe lack of quality midi music out there - Jimmy's work isn't on it. But the Action Doom 2 soundtrack is.

14 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Would you say these works are worthy to put up on Spotify?

Thanks! Well... Maybe yes, maybe no? I'd personally wait to see what other people's reactions are to the music first - if it's a flop it'd be a bit amiss to immortalise this work on something like Spotify. :P

But if reactions are good, I'd certainly be open to putting them on spotify if anyone can advise a way to do so for free? I don't care about gaining money, just not losing it. :)

1 minute ago, Dragonfly said:

Thanks! Well... Maybe yes, maybe no? I'd personally wait to see what other people's reactions are to the music first - if it's a flop it'd be a bit amiss to immortalise this work on something like Spotify. :P

Oh come on... do you really think something with your name on it is going to flop? Its practically a seal of quality at this point.

That does come with expectations, ofcourse.. :P

@Dragonfly

Yes, MIDI albums on Spotify would be a cool idea. 
It's a bit of a headache doing it for free, as you need a label or distributor, which you can be yourself but it would mean a lot of red tape work you are likely not willing to undertake.
I'd honestly suggest if/when you are comfortable and have some disposable income to bite the bullet and go through a distributor like Distrokid, the annual fee is around $15 and you'll definitely make that money back in streams, which you can put aside for future annual fees etc.

Just having listened to the first three tracks, these are definitely better than anything I've created in the MIDI format. Reminds me somewhat of Jimmy's work, particularly on Eviternity (which makes sense, seeing that you made most of the maps). I unfortunately still don't have a very good sequencer, so I can't do anything too fancy with MIDI, which makes the way you use the instruments particularly cool to me. Track 1 was great especially, I love downtempo electronic music. The ones I've listened to so far seem very much like they were designed for specific maps, but they're pretty great nonetheless and I'm certain that Doom mappers would be eager to use these tracks.

It's interesting that this has gotten more recognition in the first hour than my Creative Works thread has in several weeks. Maybe it's because you're an established member of the community, maybe it's because you posted in Doom General, maybe it's because your music is way better than mine. Probably that last one.

32 minutes ago, kwc said:

I'd honestly suggest if/when you are comfortable and have some disposable income to bite the bullet and go through a distributor like Distrokid, the annual fee is around $15 and you'll definitely make that money back in streams, which you can put aside for future annual fees etc.

Oh it's that cheap? Not a problem then. I assumed it was like 10x that, heh. Well, we'll gauge everyone's response first!

29 minutes ago, northivanastan said:

Just having listened to the first three tracks, these are definitely better than anything I've created in the MIDI format. Reminds me somewhat of Jimmy's work, particularly on Eviternity (which makes sense, seeing that you made most of the maps). I unfortunately still don't have a very good sequencer, so I can't do anything too fancy with MIDI, which makes the way you use the instruments particularly cool to me. Track 1 was great especially, I love downtempo electronic music. The ones I've listened to so far seem very much like they were designed for specific maps, but they're pretty great nonetheless and I'm certain that Doom mappers would be eager to use these tracks.

It's interesting that this has gotten more recognition in the first hour than my Creative Works thread has in several weeks. Maybe it's because you're an established member of the community, maybe it's because you posted in Doom General, maybe it's because your music is way better than mine. Probably that last one.

Thank you!! I think it might be the "established" thing coupled with where I posted it... I totally dropped a shameless self plug with an @everyone tag on my discord server. 😅

(EDIT, I realise I forgot to comment on part of this: As for them feeling like they're for specific maps, well, they're for specific map themes in my mind. I approach the music the same way I approach mapping, and ask myself what sense of place I'm trying to convey, if any. I've made maps previously based on a midi choice made prior to making the map - one such example is Eviternity's MAP11. I'm approaching the musical side the same way, but reversed.)

34 minutes ago, Bauul said:

10/10 just for the pun-tastic title.

:)

Edited by Dragonfly

1 hour ago, kwc said:

Unfortunately streaming rates are very low, with Spotify being up to $0.004 per stream so streaming services alone don't even begin to be profitable unless you're pulling in at least a good few thousand streams per year. But for sure, Distrokid's fee is so low it doesn't really matter too much.

You'd be surprised how quickly it adds up, @Eris. Especially with the boost given by the distribution to other platforms, making enough to get back the money down from the initial fee is remarkably easy, given you have a modest following. That said, having an extensive body of work helps a lot in netting that.

Thanks Bridge! Shocked stress is up there, that one's the only "speedmidi" in the pack so to speak. Glad you enjoyed them! 

Very good, really enjoyed the tracks, the percussion was the standout instrument for me (especially on Hourglass), really well done.

Also liked how in several songs you changed the tempo as you went. 

My favorites were probably Macro, Disconcerted (just a solid track that can I can see being put in a wad), and Pulsate.

What sort of program(s) do you use to put the songs together?

Thanks guys! :)

To answer your question Doritos, I used Sekaiju to compose all of these tracks. I'm really happy to hear the percussion was the standout, since drums are the instrument I'm most proficient in playing IRL!

Thanks for replying. I used to put together electronic music years ago and I was awful at adding drums. Everything was in 4:4 and had zero drum fills or flourishes. Listening to this makes me want to up my composing game.

Currently Rainfall, Macro and Hourglass are reserved for a variety of specific projects, so would appreciate people avoiding using these specific MIDI's until those projects see release. :)

I've written one more MIDI since releasing this album, which is available for use. A very unusual track with a focus on time signature changes, intentional use of dissonance and generally invoking an off-kilter feeling.

3 hours ago, Dragonfly said:

I've written one more MIDI since releasing this album, which is available for use. A very unusual track with a focus on time signature changes, intentional use of dissonance and generally invoking an off-kilter feeling.

A musical and a visual treat!