Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buzzerb5x9x

My second! attempt at making a map

so after my first map i got a lot of feedback and help and i tried to improve, so here's my second attempt at a map. i made it WAY harder and larger that the first one and experimented with new stuff and trued it out, so here you go! 

tested in gzdoom, no jump or crouch, and freelook is your choice 

anyways i hope you enjoy this one and have fun! http://www.mediafire.com/file/v70xjbyjc37tjm0/Research_Laboratory.wad/file

A fairly bland map with an okay gameplay experience.

The biggest complaint is the map flows really poorly, being a room-door-room system with little to no variety. The enemies are almost always in-front of you and it's not hard to kill them, until you have to start dealing with mid-higher tier enemies with barely enough ammo to kill them (on hmp).

Flats on walls / wall textures on floors or ceilings is okay for GZDooM and equivalent engines but most engines can't load them, just a little tip. :3

Just now, DynamiteKaitorn said:

A fairly bland map with an okay gameplay experience.

The biggest complaint is the map flows really poorly, being a room-door-room system with little to no variety. The enemies are almost always in-front of you and it's not hard to kill them, until you have to start dealing with mid-higher tier enemies with barely enough ammo to kill them (on hmp).

Flats on walls / wall textures on floors or ceilings is okay for GZDooM and equivalent engines but most engines can't load them, just a little tip. :3

Thanks! next time i make a map im gonna try and figure out hoe elevators work and building stairs, Thatns though!

Footage:

Layout & Design: 2/10

Gameplay: 2.5/10

Detailing: 1/10

Overall: 2/10

Read up on all the Doom Mapping tutorials you can find. And don't use UDMF until you get better at using the editor.

Nasties:

• Flats & Textures mishmashed everywhere.
  • Default startan floor for doors.
  • Repetitive FLAT20 ceilings.
  • Default startan exit. 
  • One untextured wall.
  • Unaligned textures.
  • An opposite textured switch.

Could be worse.. could be way worse... but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

1 minute ago, thelazyqdude said:

Footage:

Layout & Design: 2/10

Gameplay: 2.5/10

Detailing: 1/10

Overall: 2/10

Read up on all the Doom Mapping tutorials you can find. And don't use UDMF until you get better at using the editor.

Nasties:

• Flats & Textures mishmashed everywhere.
  • Default startan floor for doors.
  • Repetitive FLAT20 ceilings.
  • Default startan exit. 
  • One untextured wall.
  • Unaligned textures.
  • An opposite textured switch.

Could be worse.. could be way worse... but that's the only thing it's got going for it.

i wouldnt even think about touching udmf lol

Also I played through the map and its a bit on the claustrophobic side and very short the red key trap was okay but overall quite bland and not very visually interesting. 

Just now, ZuRTr said:

Also I played through the map and its a bit on the claustrophobic side and very short the red key trap was okay but overall quite bland and not very visually interesting. 

yea, ive been kinda testing stuff with the editor im gonna figure out how elevators work next

1 minute ago, thelazyqdude said:

Wait a minute... This map is in Doom format... Why did you texture the walls with flats anyways??

image.png.115588ea2936c4820676959e752ceec9.png

i thought they looked nice :(

Because Everything was flats, I had issues with PrBoom+ but I only used it because It's the only thing that runs OKAY with OBS open. I still had lag spikes but I did it.

I got stuck in the Blue Keycard room due to a flipped linedef so I had to noclip to get out of the room.

I also got stuck in the Goop area w/ the Yellow key so I had to noclip out of that as well. 

I never even realized I grabbed keycards half the time to be honest.

I would have not cheated and not used saves if I had more time but school starts in like 5 minutes so-

3 minutes ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Because Everything was flats, I had issues with PrBoom+ but I only used it because It's the only thing that runs OKAY with OBS open. I still had lag spikes but I did it.

I got stuck in the Blue Keycard room due to a flipped linedef so I had to noclip to get out of the room.

I also got stuck in the Goop area w/ the Yellow key so I had to noclip out of that as well. 

I never even realized I grabbed keycards half the time to be honest.

I would have not cheated and not used saves if I had more time but school starts in like 5 minutes so-

sorry about that lol i tested in gzdoom and all the textures worked fine for me so ill try and fix that.

Its alright, I like how the last key door is behind you at spawn. There's too many doors, and enemies in tight spaces. Tone it down with the doors and the enemies and make the map a bit bigger next time. I also ran out of ammo, so put more ammo and health around your maps. The texturing does look nice, I have trouble making textures look good.

Edited by Kongy08

The map falls into the same trap that a lot of novice maps (mine included) do: a progression of mostly room -> door -> corridor -> door -> room, making for repetitive gameplay where you can mostly just cheese the enemies from behind the door.  This is made even easier by the fact that the doors only stay open for like .75 seconds which is way too short: give the enemies the freedom to move around and chase the player a bit, it's so easy to just keep them boxed into a room and shoot them like chickens this way (plus it's annoying to have to keep toggling the doors constantly).  Definitely need more ammo in the map too.

I liked the trap in the room with the marble walls, was a nice change of pace and actually forced the player to engage the monsters directly.  Was probably the best looking room in the map too.  I recommend for your next one trying to make it in Doom 2 format so you don't have to worry about door timing, and also just make a map with a more open layout: try designing it around an open area, for example, so you can have ledges, balconies, and other features of geography to give the player and monsters more room to move and strategize.