Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

What Kind Of Music Do Satanists Listen To?

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

So yes, there probably is a Satanist that listens to Bananaphone all day long.

Or worse yet, We Built This City.

Or Surfin' Bird

Edit: This thread doesn't need to explode into a theological discussion. I apologize for fanning the flames and I'm deleting my original post. There's no need to feed this thing further.

Edited by Jello

I'm not going to get into religious wars here over which way is right and which way is wrong, because put simply, three major religions claim to be the one and true religion at a minimum, and according to all of them all the other guys are lying, which means you've already only got a 1-in-3 shot (at best) of not learning how to bake cookies without an oven someday.

I never said who or what I follow outside of light over darkness. I only posted what Anton revealed in the sorrow of his last words and that maybe that is not the way to go. Anton believed the "Prince of darkness was the King of Slaves"  IE Same thing  "a God that is so petty that they require you to worship them and devote your life to them" So 

All I know is I have died and been brought back to life 4 times in this life and have had two other near death experiences and all I saw was darkness no light at the end of the tunnel like folks claim to have seen. So I'm hoping for something a little better than those times before.   

Edited by Mantiblades

6 minutes ago, Mantiblades said:

I never said who or what I follow outside of light over darkness. I only posted what Anton revealed in the sorrow of his last words and that maybe that is not the way to go. Anton believed the "Prince of darkness was the King of Slaves"  IE Same thing  "a God that is so petty that they require you to worship them and devote your life to them"

Funny thing is, the Church of Satan has said that's false.

So one way or another, someone's lying. Who? It's impossible to tell at this point, because people have agendas.

I don’t really get Satanism because like, I don’t believe in hell. But if I did believe in hell I’m pretty sure I’d not be worshipping it’s ruler. It seems like a lot of satanists are atheists trying to make a point about separation of church and state, that I’m sympathetic to because it demonstrates why those things should be separate to people who only think in terms of Christianity.

But someone literally worshipping the devil? If you believe in the devil shouldn’t you be terrified about how everyone is probably doomed (lul) from birth to be a sinner? Hell only exists in religion to hold a mirror up to humanity’s constant failings and imperfections, it feels like it’s a reactionary myth to explain cosmic imbalance or why wicked people exist or where they go or where most people go barring some divine intervention via faith.

It feels like if you believe the myths in the first place that led to hell, the reactionary myth, you’d be scared of it. I don’t think any society organically began worshiping evil first, they created evil spirit concepts to explain why evil exists in the first place. Which makes worshipping it feel like it’s a bit edgy. It’s like worshipping Emperor Palpatine, as far as I’m concerned; it’s just a story but it’s also clearly the bad guy, because as a story there isn’t much nuance beyond “here is the bad guy we created to embody all bad guys, ever”.

5 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

I don’t really get Satanism because like, I don’t believe in hell. But if I did believe in hell I’m pretty sure I’d not be worshipping it’s ruler. It seems like a lot of satanists are atheists trying to make a point about separation of church and state, that I’m sympathetic to because it demonstrates why those things should be separate to people who only think in terms of Christianity.

But someone literally worshipping the devil? If you believe in the devil shouldn’t you be terrified about how everyone is probably doomed (lul) from birth to be a sinner? Hell only exists in religion to hold a mirror up to humanity’s constant failings and imperfections, it feels like it’s a reactionary myth to explain cosmic imbalance or why wicked people exist or where they go or where most people go barring some divine intervention via faith.

It feels like if you believe the myths in the first place that led to hell, the reactionary myth, you’d be scared of it. I don’t think any society organically began worshiping evil first, they created evil spirit concepts to explain why evil exists in the first place. Which makes worshipping it feel like it’s a bit edgy. It’s like worshipping Emperor Palpatine, as far as I’m concerned; it’s just a story but it’s also clearly the bad guy, because as a story there isn’t much nuance beyond “here is the bad guy we created to embody all bad guys, ever”.

Satanism and the Church of Satan isn't really about worshipping the Devil though. It's something they'd LIKE you to think is the case - precisely because their main goal is really to piss off a lot of Christians.

On the whole Satanism is more about following your own moral code and questioning what you're told to think and believe. Basically you know how when you're a little kid you're taught to question the motives of some people? Satanism is basically that, but towards clergy and religion in general.

22 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

It’s like worshipping Emperor Palpatine, as far as I’m concerned; it’s just a story but it’s also clearly the bad guy, because as a story there isn’t much nuance beyond “here is the bad guy we created to embody all bad guys, ever”.

Don’t you trample on me for my Sheev worship. Praise Him, for He is the Senate

Now let’s all sit down and listen to the Homilies of Darth Plagueis the Wise

2 hours ago, Mantiblades said:

I never said who or what I follow outside of light over darkness. I only posted what Anton revealed in the sorrow of his last words and that maybe that is not the way to go. Anton believed the "Prince of darkness was the King of Slaves"  IE Same thing  "a God that is so petty that they require you to worship them and devote your life to them" So 

2 hours ago, Mantiblades said:

All I know is I have died and been brought back to life 4 times in this life and have had two other near death experiences and all I saw was darkness no light at the end of the tunnel like folks claim to have seen. So I'm hoping for something a little better than those times before.   

spongebob.jpg

I haven't met any obvious satanist. While I briefly had the chance to meet actual rockers and metalheads, they were either atheist or devout christians (the kind who would talk dirty and edgy all the time, but always cross themselves when seeing churches, and praying when going inside).

And in my current more outdoor environments, people are less scene-like. Again, either atheist, christian or (worst of all) conspiracy nuts. No satanist in sight.

The LaVeyan satanist philosophy doesn't really condone any conformity, you just do what you like, feels best to you and improves your "lesser magic". It's the philosophy of excellence. It may seem cool, but unfortunately it's the kind of philosophy that attracts Machiavellian types, i.e. the real life villains.

Satanists must listen to We Built This City, as it is the most unholy song in existence. 

44 minutes ago, Jello said:

I'll get the lights.

thanks can you lock the door too please

42 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

Satanists must listen to We Built This City, as it is the most unholy song in existence. 

Africa by Toto trumps it.

25 minutes ago, Dubbagdarrel said:

thanks can you lock the door too please

Shit. I knew I forgot something. Well what's the worst that could happen? A bunch of people break in and start having a discussion about religious beliefs or the tenants of Satanism? I'm sure it'll be fine.

Any philosophy / belief system that attempts to embody personal freedom will not limit itself to any genre. It should be as diverse as its adherents. Real or imagined. 

9 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Funny thing is, the Church of Satan has said that's false.

Because it is, it was BS spread mainly to insult LaVey despite his contributions after the CoS kinda went south around the '80s when they started selling ranks, and became something else that wasn't really focused on Satanism anymore.

Michael Aquino also mentions in his manifest that initially LaVey was a theist, but after his failed attempts at experiencing anything deeper, became symbolic and the two parted ways.

It's obviously fake because it's way too armchair-thinking and declamatory for some guy on his death bed. Regret "what"? WHAT did he do actually? Shave his head? Write the first edgy self-help book? You'd have to believe that LaVey was really some kind of dark pope and not some clownish guy that had his fifteen minutes of fame in America only.

The thing which really bothers me with open theists is that they think they have their hands on the subtle forces of the universe through their belief, it's borderline magic. There is no inverted good path and no "dark path", and a "wrong path" that would work wouldn't be "wrong". It's a curious thing that LaVey's detractors were the one who actually believed in his number.

56 minutes ago, Sunnyfruit said:

It's obviously fake because it's way too armchair-thinking and declamatory for some guy on his death bed. Regret "what"? WHAT did he do actually? Shave his head? Write the first edgy self-help book? You'd have to believe that LaVey was really some kind of dark pope and not some clownish guy that had his fifteen minutes of fame in America only.

The thing which really bothers me with open theists is that they think they have their hands on the subtle forces of the universe through their belief, it's borderline magic. There is no inverted good path and no "dark path", and a "wrong path" that would work wouldn't be "wrong". It's a curious thing that LaVey's detractors were the one who actually believed in his number.

It's not an inversion or reversion of anything though. One of the reasons I find conversations on this subject so boring, but I digress...

LaVey had a pretty big impact upon the scene at large, since he was the first to actually get Satanism out of the closet and into broad daylight, and in a way that was simple to understand and practice for the interested - which nowadays act more like introductions, there have been so many advancements since they aren't enough anymore. And to a theist/magick practitioner, I would never recommend his rituals - , there were plenty of other people and organizations before him, such as Hertbert Sloane's Ophite Cultus Satanas/Our Lady of Endor coven - but none had the impact him and the CoS had. The only other person to rival in terms of impact (in the world, and on the occult scene), would probably be Aleister Crowley, but that's a different story.

Then, everything just kinda followed naturally and bloomed. Or, if you prefer some annoying O9A speech, "he was the catalyst for the Aeonic change".