Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ofisil

Custom MIDI music messed up in Vanilla DOOM

I've made a custom MIDI for a DOOM II project, which ends up sounding messed up... but ONLY when tested in its purest vanilla form (DosBox)

Chocolate, ZDOOM, and every other port plays it fine.

I know, I know, why play Doom in DosBox. Well, I've made a whole freaking megawad before, and this never happened.

Any ideas why? At least for the sake of understanding the problem.

I'm uploading the buggy part, which is full of weird scratches and bells when playing it on DosBox.

NOTE: The track that's messed up is a Slap Bass instrument, lowered down a couple of semitones... if that makes any difference.

problematic midi.zip

The beginning of the MIDI sounds a bit busy, like a lot of notes are playing at the same time. Maybe try reducing the complexity in the first second of instruments/notes being played? That's my best guess.

I've also attached a recording of it playing on my SC-55mkII, hopefully this helps as a reference to what you're hearing!

problematic_midi_sc-55.zip

2 hours ago, Ofisil said:

I'm uploading the buggy part, which is full of weird scratches and bells when playing it on DosBox.

NOTE: The track that's messed up is a Slap Bass instrument, lowered down a couple of semitones... if that makes any difference.

Is that instrument set to midi channel 10? Not sure if there's a difference between doom.exe and ports but, I thought for doom midis channel 10 is always drums, regardless of what patch you select

thanx for all the responses people.

After some mindless experimantation, I solved the issue by simply moving Slap Bass from "slot 2" to "slot 5".

Don't understand the logic behind it, but that's ultra-vanilla doom for ya.