Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Man of Doom

Doom Eternal honestly deserved better

So just to preface this, I'm not saying that Doom Eternal is this perfect angel of a game; while it does have its shortcomings, I do feel that it is a significant game-changer that polished its own formula to a mirror shine.

Next, I just wanted to say that Doom Eternal's external issues are relatively minor compared to the woes of something like Cyberpunk 2077. But that doesn't mean they weren't significant either.

Hell, that's not to say Doom 2016's development wasn't quiet either especially given that it involved quite the transition between what's now known as Doom 4 1.0 and what currently exists today as 2016.

With that out of the way, I just want to ask: is it just me or does it feel like Doom Eternal had been constantly covered in this cloud of bad news which lasted for quite a while?

I mean, first there were all the weird criticisms that came from all corners that verged on nitpicking. This is more minor than other issues, but the criticisms involved got quite ridiculous, ranging from "this is too cartoony/too much like Quake compared to 2016" to "the Marauder is objectively bad design" to "I just wanted to SSG everything and is that too much to ask". And this constant nitpicking came from YouTube comments to video producers to professional critics.

Next there was the Denuvo anti-cheat fiasco where everyone assumed that it was all marching orders from Bethesda, when in reality, id wanted to try something new regarding dealing with cheaters in Battlemode and it just didn't work out.

Next was the Mick Gordon incident. Hoo boy, that's already a complex situation that was discussed a million times over. Yes, I know we now have Andrew Hulshult and David Levy but it just feels... not the same even if AG1 turned out to be just as good as Mick's work on the base game. And on a side note, wouldn't this entire pandemic be considered an act of God or something along those lines?

Moreover, there was Eternal walking away from various award shows empty-handed (not mentioning a certain games show). Last I remember, the only award the game actually won was Steam's "Best Soundtrack" and... honestly, at least that should've been a no-brainer for That Awards Show That Shall Not Be Named (and I still can't believe the Heavy Metal Choir got beaten out by Orchestral Soundtracks for the Nostalgic, not that I'm knocking FF7R since that's already amazing too). Yeah, you're gonna tell me that "award shows are not indicative of quality" and that this year was where the video game equivalent of Oscar-baiting was pulled off without a hitch.
And while that's true, it just feels bitter to constantly be reminded that Doom Eternal didn't even get noticed for things like its art direction. I mean, just tell me with a straight face that the entirety of Urdak is "meh".

And most recently (if somewhat related), there's the very likely chance that the Slayer's chances of getting into Smash Ultimate are now next to nil given recent developments.
I know you're gonna tell me that "the Slayer is a much better fit for Mortal Kombat anyway", but that is incredibly unlikely to happen. Unless all the planets align and we somehow get a Kombat Pack 3 (or an entirely new MK title), PLUS there's some kind of licensing deal figured out between Warner Bros. and Microsoft because the latter now owns the Doom IP. Plus, people are already getting tired of seeing guest fighters in MK.

(Hell, that CacoMallow "leaked screenshot", the one where a Mii Gunner is wearing a Cacodemon hat, is now seemingly debunked).
I mean, that's part of why I kind of wanted the Slayer to have a shot at Smash Ultimate, namely that he has a much better shot at getting into Smash than he does getting into Mortal Kombat.

It all honestly sucks major shit because from what I've seen, the guys at id have absolutely nothing but love and passion towards Doom Eternal, Hugo Martin in particular. They all did a fantastic job in not only giving us Doom Eternal but also keeping in constant communication with their community and whatnot. I mean, what other fanbase gets to regularly enjoy keeping in contact with the actual game devs, chatting about various topics regarding the game and what to expect from future releases?

Anywho, I guess this more than likely stems from the expectations 2016 had vs. the expectations Eternal had.

With 2016, both the Doom franchise and id Software were both considered legitimate underdogs in that nobody knew what to expect going forward; it wasn't helped that the multiplayer beta was trashed to hell and Bethesda withheld review copies not too long before the game's release. The fact that Doom 2016 succeeded as much as it did came as a legitimate shock to just about everyone.

With Eternal, pretty much everyone knew this game was going to be a major hit. Everyone knew what to expect from id and the only real surprises came in how the story and gameplay evolved. Hell, not even a delay stopped the momentum Eternal carried going all the way into release.

I dunno, maybe I'm just rambling as usual, especially given how I was supposed to have a point here. Anywho, here's to hoping Doom Eternal is vindicated by history.

2020 really was supposed to be the Year of Doom but it somehow wasn't.

This:

6 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

I guess this more than likely stems from the expectations 2016 had vs. the expectations Eternal had.

But it is not only the fact that people became more exigent. In DE, developers took more risks than in D2016.

In terms of combat, DE makes a noticeable leap in one direction. Some may like it, some may not. I personally like it, I feel it like an improvement, but I also consider that D2016 gave you more freedom in this regard. 

Also, they added platforming things, 1UP, and all the stuff that we know.

Aesthetically, it's more colorish. Again, it brings discussions.

Its backstory is more heavy and loud than in D2016, which carries more disagreements.

And so on.

From my point of view, yes, it deserved better. But the fact that it has more ups and downs than D2016, more debatable things, it makes it harder to be unanimously well rated. 

Also, don't worry too much about awards. If you like the game, just play it. It doesn't need an award to be a great and enjoyable game.

Edited by Martin-CAI

I'm pretty sure the praise of Eternal it' s more high that the disagreements with the changes of art/gameplay.

Maybe it's because i don't follow the mainstream media, but all people that i see in social media (being doom fans and not) they love what they done with the game. Soundtrack it's a high too, how many videos now have the guitar rift of "The only thing they fear it's you", or hear the soundtrack in they free time. How the Doom Slayer jumpend in popularity, and it's still being updated and taking care. I'm pretty sure if it's was not for covid, the AC Gods DLC should be completed in 2020, being more meinful the name of Year of Doom.

Maybe it's not talked at the moment like *Mainstream game at the moment* but it's a solid game that when any player looks back to it, will say, That's a epic game. And will be one of thoses games that age like a wine.

To be honest, as a Doom fan I'm mainly glad that the Doom franchise has, for two games and one DLC so far, turned out to have been in safe hands. They didn't stuff Doom with MTX or pay-2-win bullshit or anything like that. Mass Effect got screwed over by EA and/or someone in BioWare management getting a bee in their bonnet about Destiny, although I arrived late to the party so that doesn't have much impact for me. It's the Fallout fans who I feel sorry for.

Yeah, there have been arguments about the aesthetics which I agree felt like nitpicking, but I consider the sheer pettiness of the complaint to be a positive sign for the game as a whole. Getting snubbed at the awards also sucked serious balls, but again I think that's a more damning indictment of games journalism and the wider industry, and doesn't reflect poorly on Doom Eternal or its developers.

What recent developments are you talking about? The chances of Doomguy turning up in Smash Bros always seemed more on the sketchy side to me. Nintendo are under no obligation to host any character in their games, and I'm not sure how outdated Nintendo's whole "family friendly" schtick really is.

2 hours ago, NoXion said:

To be honest, as a Doom fan I'm mainly glad that the Doom franchise has, for two games and one DLC so far, turned out to have been in safe hands. They didn't stuff Doom with MTX or pay-2-win bullshit or anything like that. Mass Effect got screwed over by EA and/or someone in BioWare management getting a bee in their bonnet about Destiny, although I arrived late to the party so that doesn't have much impact for me. It's the Fallout fans who I feel sorry for.

Yeah, there have been arguments about the aesthetics which I agree felt like nitpicking, but I consider the sheer pettiness of the complaint to be a positive sign for the game as a whole. Getting snubbed at the awards also sucked serious balls, but again I think that's a more damning indictment of games journalism and the wider industry, and doesn't reflect poorly on Doom Eternal or its developers.

What recent developments are you talking about? The chances of Doomguy turning up in Smash Bros always seemed more on the sketchy side to me. Nintendo are under no obligation to host any character in their games, and I'm not sure how outdated Nintendo's whole "family friendly" schtick really is.

I actually have to agree and I am generally skeptical of game output by most high end studios these days.  If it means anything to the OP I actually thought the color changes were good as I find 2016 boring to look at and Doom shouldn't be boring in anything.  The combat style evolution I think was a big sticking point at least for me, but more in the way that it was unfamiliar and I thought it was refreshing to have to learn how to master the arsenal something you honestly have to do in Classic Doom if you want to get better at it anyway as you really can't just spam in the SSG in all situations and hope to be efficient.  I think Eternal was fine, and who cares if it didn't win awards those are usually just a form of popularity contest anyway.

What's wrong with Doom Eternal just being a really good game? Not everything has to make a huge splash with gaming at large, id wanted to make a sequal that improved upon 2016 and they succeeded. I feel like that's more than enough for me at least.

I would rather have Id Software employees be unconditionally given good working conditions (e.g. living wage, reasonable working hours, no crunch, etc.) than some one-time, purely symbolic awards - especially given the context of the ongoing pandemic and the resulting socioeconomic crisis.

Trophies may look nice on a shelf, but they sure do not put food on the table!

On 3/2/2021 at 3:21 PM, Scrabbs said:

What's wrong with Doom Eternal just being a really good game? Not everything has to make a huge splash with gaming at large, id wanted to make a sequal that improved upon 2016 and they succeeded. I feel like that's more than enough for me at least.

Honestly, there’s really nothing wrong with Doom Eternal in and of itself.

I just made the OP just to kind of note that for some weird reason, the game seemed to be mired in quite a bit of bad news post-release which were already covered in said OP.

Granted, said bad news are considerably much more minor compared to horror stories regarding several different game development studios (from Naughty Dog to Rockstar to CDPR to Netherrealm Studios) and games coming out in horrific half-baked states (coughs in Cyberpunk 2077).

On 3/4/2021 at 1:28 PM, Rudolph said:

I would rather have Id Software employees be unconditionally given good working conditions (e.g. living wage, reasonable working hours, no crunch, etc.) than some one-time, purely symbolic awards - especially given the context of the ongoing pandemic and the resulting socioeconomic crisis.

Trophies may look nice on a shelf, but they sure do not put food on the table!

Honestly, that’s what makes that award show fiasco all the more upsetting; that abusing the living shit out of employees will ultimately guarantee a bunch of shiny trophies and no repercussions whatsoever. Plus it ends up sending a signal that “crunch = guaranteed awards”.

On 2/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, NoXion said:

It seems like after the Wii U days, Nintendo does keep to the family friendly side of things, but not nearly as much as they used to. And besides, several characters from M-rated franchises have already made it into Smash.

And as for recent developments, it was widely theorized that the Slayer would be revealed as a future DLC fighter given that That One Awards Show landed on OG Doom’s birthday. It turned out to be one of gaming’s most recognizable and iconic antagonists, but it was still very much “not the Slayer”.

And then after that, more hints were dropped that the Slayer were still a very slim possibility… only for the slot to go to more JRPG characters.

I’m not going to badmouth the more recent choices of DLC fighters since it just feels petty. Though, it has been disheartening for the Doom community to be essentially be on the receiving end of a constant chorus of HOES MAD for quite some time now.

41 minutes ago, Man of Doom said:

Honestly, that’s what makes that award show fiasco all the more upsetting; that abusing the living shit out of employees will ultimately guarantee a bunch of shiny trophies and no repercussions whatsoever. Plus it ends up sending a signal that “crunch = guaranteed awards”.

Doom Eternal's developers were subjected to some pretty intense crunch, actually. That is why I would be fine with Id Software scaling back on the size of their projects, even going back to making IWADs if it means providing their staff with better working conditions. After all, Doom mods have already proven that most mechanics introduced in Id Software's latest titles can be reproduced in source ports, so we would be getting games that are much less demanding in terms of disk space and hardware - meaning that more people would be able to play them on more platforms.

In that sense, it seems like it would be a win-win-win: cheaper games to produce, better working conditions and a bigger playerbase!

Also, I believe some of award winners did not resort to crunch; case in point, Supergiant Games.

Edited by Rudolph

id working on something smaller sort of goes back to posts i made about a Doom game being "indie", even as a spin-off.

It also may add to the art style/models and how the new enemy Stone Imp is a recolor, if it was to save time.

Most of said posts came from more experimental stuff, "true retro" stuff, collabs with fans/other devs but i also wonder if a smaller scale Doom (even in graphics/art style alone) could make things easier for it.

Even if indie/smaller stuff isn't safe from bad working conditions.

I think the season pass for the DLC's didn't help it: they have to deliver it in less than a year since the game's release.

2 hours ago, whatup876 said:

id working on something smaller sort of goes back to posts i made about a Doom game being "indie", even as a spin-off.

It also may add to the art style/models and how the new enemy Stone Imp is a recolor, if it was to save time.

Most of said posts came from more experimental stuff, "true retro" stuff, collabs with fans/other devs but i also wonder if a smaller scale Doom (even in graphics/art style alone) could make things easier for it.

Even if indie/smaller stuff isn't safe from bad working conditions.

I think the season pass for the DLC's didn't help it: they have to deliver it in less than a year since the game's release.

To be fair, when they promised the DLCs in a year, we weren't in a pandemic. That sorta.... flapped its way in... like a bat. 

If anything, the pandemic just demonstrated how broken and unsustainable crunch is as a business practice. If that is not enough to get the industry to drop it, then I do not know what will - aside from maybe a strong push for unionization. 

I haven't personally noticed a whole "cloud" so to speak. Pretty much the usual amount of boundlessly entitled gamers that any 7th+ gen release has had to deal with. They were going to complain about it not being enough like DOOM 2016, just as they would have complained about it being too much like DOOM 2016. That's just how it goes. Gamers aren't always the mental or social cream of the crop nowadays. Look on the bright side - Id made lots of money from DE. That hopefully means more Id to come.

Also, never sweat the game awards. Game quality is only a small piece of the pie in regards to those awards anymore. TLOU2 did a great job illustrating that.

2 hours ago, Serum said:

Also, never sweat the game awards. Game quality is only a small piece of the pie in regards to those awards anymore. TLOU2 did a great job illustrating that.

From what I have heard, the issues people have with The Last of Us: Part II are not about its quality so much as some of its creative decisions in regard to the story and its characters as well as the crunch. I do not recall seeing people complain about things like bugs or bad game design.

Doom Eternal is a good game no doubt and I enjoyed it very much but it wasn't as good as Doom (2016) 

My issue with it is that it forces you to play in a very specific way i.e Flame-thrower for ammo, Glory for health, chainsaw for ammo. This narrows your creativity for dealing with situations and without using that very specific method you won't get far in the game. 

Doom (2016) allowed you to have freedom to deal with fights how you saw fit depending on your play style but Eternal makes us all play the same quite a bit. 

2 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

And as for recent developments, it was widely theorized that the Slayer would be revealed as a future DLC fighter given that That One Awards Show landed on OG Doom’s birthday. It turned out to be one of gaming’s most recognizable and iconic antagonists, but it was still very much “not the Slayer”.

And then after that, more hints were dropped that the Slayer were still a very slim possibility… only for the slot to go to more JRPG characters.

While I agree that would have been a great time to reveal Doomguy as a new Smash character, was this theorising based on anything more substantial than the date being significant? Because otherwise it was something that had no guarantee of happening.

2 hours ago, Man of Doom said:

I’m not going to badmouth the more recent choices of DLC fighters since it just feels petty. Though, it has been disheartening for the Doom community to be essentially be on the receiving end of a constant chorus of HOES MAD for quite some time now.

I don't think Nintendo means it that way, it's purely about money for them. Anyone else is just cheerleading from the sidelines and can be safely ignored.

At this point, I'm just going to say this- it's just a game. Made by human devs and run by human people. and humans make mistakes. Art/creative work is subjective as hell. I love Doom more than words but I will still absolutely recognize that that's all it is. There's literally zero reason to agonize over it unless people are actually being abused in order to create it (but that's going on in a lot of industries right now besides the gaming world). 

On 3/12/2021 at 5:39 PM, Rudolph said:

Doom Eternal's developers were subjected to some pretty intense crunch, actually. That is why I would be fine with Id Software scaling back on the size of their projects, even going back to making IWADs if it means providing their staff with better working conditions.

Reducing the size of their projects? Sure. You mean making their games simpler with less bullshit cutscenes and useless lore to reduce its costs and make a more focused product? Totally on board.
They employ 200 people and have an exclusive proprietary tech that is a direct competitor to Epic. Why would they abandon it?
The revenue they could make with a new IWAD couldn't pay for more a month of their Richardson's headquarters rent.

After all, Doom mods have already proven that most mechanics introduced in Id Software's latest titles can be reproduced in source ports, so we would be getting games that are much less demanding in terms of disk space and hardware - meaning that more people would be able to play them on more platforms.

reproduced in source ports... which are licensed under GPL which are forbidden to be sold to 80% of their target public.

15 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

Reducing the size of their projects? Sure. You mean making their games simpler with less bullshit cutscenes and useless lore to reduce its costs and make a more focused product? Totally on board.
They employ 200 people and have an exclusive proprietary tech that is a direct competitor to Epic. Why would they abandon it?
The revenue they could make with a new IWAD couldn't pay for more a month of their Richardson's headquarters rent.
reproduced in source ports... which are licensed under GPL which are forbidden to be sold to 80% of their target public.

Aaah, good points. Although I have to wonder if those headquarters are getting much use these days, with the pandemic and the lockdowns...

Still, you are highlighting the problem: games get more and more expensive to make, so game developers have to make more and more money to cover for all the expenses... I do not see this being very sustainable in the long run. At this rate, it is going to all come crashing down.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:32 AM, Eurisko said:

Doom Eternal is a good game no doubt and I enjoyed it very much but it wasn't as good as Doom (2016) 

My issue with it is that it forces you to play in a very specific way i.e Flame-thrower for ammo, Glory for health, chainsaw for ammo. This narrows your creativity for dealing with situations and without using that very specific method you won't get far in the game. 

Doom (2016) allowed you to have freedom to deal with fights how you saw fit depending on your play style but Eternal makes us all play the same quite a bit.  

Freedom is not always a good thing, in my opinion. Freedom steered myself and many others into playing 2016 like we would any other FPS, inevitably utilizing the most efficient bare minimum in regards to mechanics. Maybe half-way through the game, it just got boring and monotonous because I had figured out the easy cheese - 2 weapons that rendered most everything else almost entirely obsolete. From that point on, I had to force myself to make the game more mechanically interesting. In fact, this was a sentiment that a lot of players shared, which is why the fan-made "brawler" mode emerged back then and gained popularity. Brawler mode was far more restrictive and ended up having a lot in common with what would end up being Doom Eternal. It required way more practice to progress in the game under said restrictions... But the payoff was ridiculously adrenal, in-your-face gameplay that you had to work hard and earn the ability to traverse. That sense of earning was cathartic as fuck. Another great game in this vein is Monolith's Blood

On 3/13/2021 at 4:32 AM, Eurisko said:

With all due respect, I really don't understand this sentiment. People mention stuff like this, and I'm just left wondering: what better alternatives did Doom 2016 or even classic Doom present you? In those games, if you needed armor you had to go find it and pick it up if it was there. In classic Doom, if you need ammo, it was either in the map, or it wasn't. If the map author chooses to restrict shotgun shells for a particular segment, they are forcing you to use something else. This is, categorically, a situation where you would have fewer choices. Now I do happen to think that effect map design in classic Doom can invoke meaningful choices with the distribution of resources, but I digress.

In both Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, if you need health or ammo, you can choose to go find susceptible enemies to chainsaw or glory kill, or maybe just switch to a different weapon or to press your luck and hope you kill the heavy demon in front of you before you die. You're not at the mercy of if the map author happened to put the health or ammo that you want in the map. And it's precisely because DE restricts your carriable ammo that you have more of those choices to make. If you want to main the SSG, you absolutely can, but when you run low on ammo you have to make a choice: do I switch to something else because maybe there is a very dangerous threat present, or do I disengage and go find an enemy to chainsaw? People phrase these arguments like, once you run out of the meager 24 shotgun shells you are allowed to carry, you're going to be starved of shotgun shells for a significant portion of the map, and this couldn't be farther from the truth. Outside of that, you can flat out ignore weapons in your arsenal if you want. I mostly completely forget the regular SG exists in DE, despite the fact that both the grenade launcher and autoshotgun are both super useful. Same thing with the plasma gun, it wasn't until like my third playthrough that I gave the PG a second look and realized the microwave beam is actually very effective at stunlocking. 

But if you want more choices, then DE really stacks you up with them. For even just the most basic example, take the shield guy. You can absolutely use the PG to blow up his shield for the nice splash damage, but you don't have to. You could instead remote detonate a rocket over his shield and trigger the falter on nearby demons to stun everything. Or you could just flamethrower + chainsaw the guy to replenish resources. But even if you were to say "Well I want to use the SSG against every enemy" then why don't you just meathook the guy, launch over his head, and SSG down onto him from above? Like, what is that scenario if not a presentation of multiple choices that you can make to get your desired outcome?

On 3/13/2021 at 3:32 AM, Eurisko said:

With the new DLC, the hammer gives ammo when used on enemies. Plus it's easy to refill the hammer & completely within your control. In fact, someone beat TAG2 using only the hammer for ammo recharge.

50 minutes ago, LVENdead said:

In both Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, if you need health or ammo, you can choose to go find susceptible enemies to chainsaw or glory kill, or maybe just switch to a different weapon or to press your luck and hope you kill the heavy demon in front of you before you die. You're not at the mercy of if the map author happened to put the health or ammo that you want in the map. 

Exactly. Plus now the hammer brings in even more options.

3 hours ago, LVENdead said:

With all due respect, I really don't understand this sentiment. People mention stuff like this, and I'm just left wondering: what better alternatives did Doom 2016 or even classic Doom present you? In those games, if you needed armor you had to go find it and pick it up if it was there. In classic Doom, if you need ammo, it was either in the map, or it wasn't. If the map author chooses to restrict shotgun shells for a particular segment, they are forcing you to use something else. This is, categorically, a situation where you would have fewer choices. Now I do happen to think that effect map design in classic Doom can invoke meaningful choices with the distribution of resources, but I digress.

In both Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal, if you need health or ammo, you can choose to go find susceptible enemies to chainsaw or glory kill, or maybe just switch to a different weapon or to press your luck and hope you kill the heavy demon in front of you before you die. You're not at the mercy of if the map author happened to put the health or ammo that you want in the map. And it's precisely because DE restricts your carriable ammo that you have more of those choices to make. If you want to main the SSG, you absolutely can, but when you run low on ammo you have to make a choice: do I switch to something else because maybe there is a very dangerous threat present, or do I disengage and go find an enemy to chainsaw? People phrase these arguments like, once you run out of the meager 24 shotgun shells you are allowed to carry, you're going to be starved of shotgun shells for a significant portion of the map, and this couldn't be farther from the truth. Outside of that, you can flat out ignore weapons in your arsenal if you want. I mostly completely forget the regular SG exists in DE, despite the fact that both the grenade launcher and autoshotgun are both super useful. Same thing with the plasma gun, it wasn't until like my third playthrough that I gave the PG a second look and realized the microwave beam is actually very effective at stunlocking. 

But if you want more choices, then DE really stacks you up with them. For even just the most basic example, take the shield guy. You can absolutely use the PG to blow up his shield for the nice splash damage, but you don't have to. You could instead remote detonate a rocket over his shield and trigger the falter on nearby demons to stun everything. Or you could just flamethrower + chainsaw the guy to replenish resources. But even if you were to say "Well I want to use the SSG against every enemy" then why don't you just meathook the guy, launch over his head, and SSG down onto him from above? Like, what is that scenario if not a presentation of multiple choices that you can make to get your desired outcome?

I'm convinced that people who think that DOOM Eternal only allows players to play in a "very specific way" either take the tutorials too seriously, are upset that their favorite weapon+rune combo is no longer overpowered (you know the one I'm talking about), and/or just flat-out suck at the game (and yeah I know, "git gud" har har har, but I don't see why it can't be a valid response to criticism. If it weren't, then by that logic DarkSydePhil's complaints towards the games he plays are valid).

The game allows players to be creative, it's just that those who accuse it of the contrary aren't creative themselves.

Everyone perceives things in different ways and I just felt Eternal at times pigeon holed you into doing things in a way that gave no creativity of mayhem to the player like other Doom entries have. Thats all. Just my view and how I found it.