Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rudolph

FreeSIGIL?

First of all, I want to let you all know that I love Freedoom. During the pandemic lockdown, I had to spend some time away from my computer but I was able to use someone's else, so I played Freedoom instead. While I reckon it is still a bit rough around the edges, I think it is fair to say it is in many ways just as good - if not better than vanilla Doom - in terms of level design, art and especially music!

I was wondering if there are plans to include a fifth SIGIL-style episode in future Freedoom releases. I assume SIGIL itself is compatible with Freedoom (I apparently cannot verify it myself, as GZDoom automatically loads DOOM.wad), and I understand that since SIGIL is free, there is technically no reason to remake it for Freedoom. However, from what I understand, Knee-Deep In The Dead is also free, yet it was replaced by Outpost Outbreak nonetheless.

Sigil is compatible with Freedoom, I've tried it myself.

The "free" in Freedoom refers to "freedom" as well as "free-to-play." The "freedom" that Freedoom gives you includes the freedom to make copies of Freedoom and modify it as you wish, even commercially. Knee Deep In The Dead is released under a non-commercial "shareware" license, and Sigil prohibits modification, so neither meet this definition of "freedom."

I doubt that Freedoom will provide a SIGIL replacement though, at the very least because nobody is making WADs that require SIGIL, and one of Freedoom's main reasons for existence is to allow to people to play WADs without a registered copy of Doom. SIGIL provides almost no new resources and the ability to add an E5 is just a function of source ports like Crispy Doom and (G/L)ZDoom, so there's no reason to make WADs based on it as far as I know.

At the very most maybe make replacements for the one custom texture, but what's the point when the wad is free to download anyway?