Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
we're closed

My newest map (Limit-removing, Doom II)

Wait, before you read, I guess this map wasn't as bad as I thought and I was overreacting!

Forgive me father, for I am about to sin. While I might've done some questionable things here on doomworld, or regrettable things, nothing will I regret more than posting this map here. Hideous, ugly, kind of unfair, so horrible I didn't even bother to name it. For me, going through a mapping block, this has to be a gem. It takes inspiration from a certain TNT map, which, if you're read my previous topic, you will know, you will. Play it or not? I'll just let the screenshots decide for you

Edited by we're closed

If this is your idea of a horrible map, than you're either really modest or completely underestimating your skills as a mapper. Tested in UV.

Gameplay

The TNT inspiration shines throughout. A medium sized map with plenty of punch in the combat and progression, similar to many of the later TNT maps. The combat is exciting throughout and your use of higher-tier enemies in combat is fair, as the player is (Mostly) well equipped to deal with these enemies. One of the only problems I have with the map is the lack of ammunition in some areas on UV. I don't know if this was intentional or not, so feel free to correct me.

Layout

I like the layout, very similar aesthetically to the inspiration, just without that annoying mountain spawning dozens of lost souls. Hard to get lost due to the signposting, which I approve of. The medium size and the fact that it plays homage nicely to a less than stellar map would make this fit nicely in a megawad like TNT: re-evolution.

Texturing and detailing

Texturing and detailing follows IWAD rules, meaning there is a sense of minimalism throughout. I enjoy minimalism, if it is done well, and doesn't make the map feel barren. The texturing itself is competent, and you show off the Final Doom textures nicely, and they aren't that much of an eyesore

Bugs

None that I noticed

Conclusion

A really solid homage to a less- than stellar map and TNT's progression. I really enjoyed playing through this. You should have more faith in your skills, as well as your ability to use mostly vanilla textures so well. Good work!

@Biodegradable, I know you love elio's maps... Give it a try.

Evil

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Flakes_Doom

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-091839.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-092555.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093043.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093326.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093838.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093848.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093911.png

An excellent map without a doubt, really entertaining and with an acceptable variety, everything looks blue between the walls of the main room, but then it changes color as one progresses in the other rooms, as well as in the final area. , is big enough to come and make combat easier and less stressful. The combats are something that stands out well with the environment, weak and annoying enemies at first, and then having the most resistant enemy encounters during progress, the maximum that this map has the appearance of two Archviles and a Spidermaster mind. I must say that the overall experience was really good, very well accomplished and not reduced to just coming and fighting with only resistant enemies to kill them and get the keys in simple monotonous places, therefore it is an excellent map, and in turn it was really fun to play, great job here, and glad to hear from you again mate.

Spoiler
4 hours ago, Silhou3tte said:

If this is your idea of a horrible map, than you're either really modest or completely underestimating your skills as a mapper. Tested in UV.

Gameplay

The TNT inspiration shines throughout. A medium sized map with plenty of punch in the combat and progression, similar to many of the later TNT maps. The combat is exciting throughout and your use of higher-tier enemies in combat is fair, as the player is (Mostly) well equipped to deal with these enemies. One of the only problems I have with the map is the lack of ammunition in some areas on UV. I don't know if this was intentional or not, so feel free to correct me.

Layout

I like the layout, very similar aesthetically to the inspiration, just without that annoying mountain spawning dozens of lost souls. Hard to get lost due to the signposting, which I approve of. The medium size and the fact that it plays homage nicely to a less than stellar map would make this fit nicely in a megawad like TNT: re-evolution.

Texturing and detailing

Texturing and detailing follows IWAD rules, meaning there is a sense of minimalism throughout. I enjoy minimalism, if it is done well, and doesn't make the map feel barren. The texturing itself is competent, and you show off the Final Doom textures nicely, and they aren't that much of an eyesore

Bugs

None that I noticed

Conclusion

A really solid homage to a less- than stellar map and TNT's progression. I really enjoyed playing through this. You should have more faith in your skills, as well as your ability to use mostly vanilla textures so well. Good work!

@Biodegradable, I know you love elio's maps... Give it a try.

Spoiler
1 hour ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

Evil

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Flakes_Doom

Deaths → 0

Saves → none

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-091839.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-092555.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093043.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093326.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093838.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093848.png

Screenshot-Doom-20210301-093911.png

An excellent map without a doubt, really entertaining and with an acceptable variety, everything looks blue between the walls of the main room, but then it changes color as one progresses in the other rooms, as well as in the final area. , is big enough to come and make combat easier and less stressful. The combats are something that stands out well with the environment, weak and annoying enemies at first, and then having the most resistant enemy encounters during progress, the maximum that this map has the appearance of two Archviles and a Spidermaster mind. I must say that the overall experience was really good, very well accomplished and not reduced to just coming and fighting with only resistant enemies to kill them and get the keys in simple monotonous places, therefore it is an excellent map, and in turn it was really fun to play, great job here, and glad to hear from you again mate.

What?? No way! Thank you so much for the nice reviews, I definitely was not expecting anything like this, mostly due to how hostile the op is. Anyways are you fr? It looks kind of ugly and underdetailed to me. Maybe I underestimated the map, or my ability to make on? I gotta get back to mapping ig

My boy Elio's back with a loving homage to Mount Pain, one of TNT's most infamous maps. I never got very far into TNT, so the more subtle nods are completely lost on me leaving me to simply judge the map on its own merits. Much like your other maps, my dude, this is some great work but it also feels like more of the same. Feels like you're still playing it a little safe. Don't be afraid to get a little more ballsy with your designs and experiment with some different themes, layouts and combat scenarios. This is still a good map though.

Hey this map isn't bad, like at all. Some critiques I have are:

- Those shotgunners in the starting room that go out of those corners could maybe teleport instead of coming out of those rooms because they feel kind of pointless (This is really nitpicky honestly so it isn't really a big problem). 

- The invulnerability is kind of overkill for the fight its in, maybe remove it in UV in favor of something like armor or berserk, or make the fight really really hard to the point where it is mandatory in all difficulties

- Ammo is really really tight. I had to berserk the enemies in the last room (Maybe a couple of rocket boxes would help to deal with those enemies). After killing every enemy I found out I had some shells lying in the corner of the caco room but I don't feel like I should be scavenge this hard. Maybe a secret backpack would have helped to deal with this.

- The switch secret is really cryptic in the sense that you mark the switch as a secret instead of the thing that the switch makes appear. In contrast, the supercharge is really obvious and maybe should be hidden behind a shootable switch or something. (As a side note, I didn't find out what the secret switch did)

Some things I liked:

- The crusher room is pretty nice because when you go to the other room and you go looking for ammo, if you aren't paying attention to them you can get decimated. If the fight had a bit more like revennants (preferably in UV) it would be very tricky because you a the slow elevators with imps are kind of slowish and easy. If I were you I would lock the door when you first enter the crusher room so that you can't easily cheese the archvile and chaingunners, making the pillars a bit bigger to compensate, or maybe you can make the player dance around the crushers to act as cover from the archvile.

- Really good use of vanilla textures

- Enemy placement feels pretty coherent all around

- The layout is pretty good and it feels like it would shine if it were more dickish.

- It is a really good tribute to mount pain because you can feel the influence and it feels better due to a much nicer layout and design.

As Silhou3tte said, if you think this map is horrible you are very wrong. It might need some polish difficulty wise but aside from that it shows that you have a lot of potential.