Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
D4NUK1

Doom Eternal generated £323m in just nine months

"Doom Eternal reportedly generated over £323 million ($450m) in the first nine months of its release.

Bethesda had already trumpeted that the launch of Doom Eternal was the series' best-ever in terms of opening week sales, but at the time the publisher didn't give exact figures, instead only confirming the game had doubled the launch weekend revenue of Doom's 2016 reboot.

Now, however, a statement on a former id Software developer's LinkedIn profile has revealed those numbers translated to $450 million in revenue (thanks, ResetEra) - that's £323 million.

The LinkedIn profile is seemingly now no longer publicly accessible, but the former "monetization designer" and product management lead worked at id Software for three years before leaving the studio last year."

Doom Eternal generated £323m in just nine months • Eurogamer.net

This it's not official Data, as Bethesda officially don't say any numbers of sales and it's just suposition. But if that's true, that's big numbers of money

I heard Eternal broke series records.

Some people will say Doom reached this without microtransactions and the sorts: That is true (and good) but to me, the way how cosmetics are handled and the method of time based events is still somewhat tied to a "mobile phone" esque sort of system.

Just saying, because 2016's DLC eventually became available at the end of the year.

Either way, congrats id, may the next title do even better.

thats really good to see since doom has always been sort of a niche its cool seeing it become more and more mainstream with each release

5 hours ago, Eurisko said:

This can be nothing but great news for the future of the franchise.

Not only the franchise but also for fast-paced shooters in general I think. The numbers shows us that the player base is bigger than we thought and the modern FPS niche is still almost empty we basically only have doom 2016/eternal. In my opinion people seek solid skill-based shooters and with today's technology there lies a great potential in the genre. In the near future Id may want to take a well-earned break from doom and start working on a completely new game. Quake singplayer is the only Id's franchise that doesn't have a proper reboot (Q. champions is dead and it is multi only). Making three doom games in a row may not be the best for the developers and for the gamers and after the end of Slayer's arc, fresh start would be beneficial for everyone.

I am also looking forward to more good retro-shooters like DUSK and more modern skill-based fps like Ultrakill.

Good. Hugo and his team are carrying the entire genre forward just like Id back in the old days. Nice to see them getting properly rewarded for it

On 3/1/2021 at 2:09 AM, chemo said:

This is from Superdata's charts for top-grossing DIGITAL games in 2020:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2021-01-06-digital-games-spending-reached-USD127-billion-in-2020

So, it's very possible that the game's total intake is even higher than $450M, since physical copies aren't counted.

positions 1-6 make me very sad, but I guess giant turds are bound to attract masses of flies

7 hours ago, frag enabler said:

positions 1-6 make me very sad, but I guess giant turds are bound to attract masses of flies

thing is these games appeal to the masses i dont think thats necessarely a problem but it lets them get away with microtransactions pay to win gambling for children etc

for better or for worse casuals dominate the market

6 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

thing is these games appeal to the masses i dont think thats necessarely a problem but it lets them get away with microtransactions pay to win gambling for children etc

for better or for worse casuals dominate the market

Well at least they show that you can make Money with an AAA-Title without following the Trend Products (Call of Duty / Battlefield).
Since everybody went to that Route, there was Space left for an Evolution for Games like Doom.

Maybe others will also give more Money for risky Products that don't follow Trends.

4 minutes ago, Azuris said:

Well at least they show that you can make Money with an AAA-Title without following the Trend Products (Call of Duty / Battlefield).
Since everybody went to that Route, there was Space left for an Evolution for Games like Doom.

Maybe others will also give more Money for risky Products that don't follow Trends.

yea i think the reason why boomer shooters are popular again is because of two things

1 nostalgia

2 military shooter fatigue (even non military shooters of the era had things like regenerating health abs with increassed accuracy puting weapons away when you run being really linear etc)

lets hope that it doesnt lose steam and keeps getting bigger

these games might be popular but doom is eternal

5 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

2 military shooter fatigue

Definitely.

5 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

1 nostalgia

To some degree. Look at actuall old doom fans most of them don't like new dooms because of nostalgia, their old brains cannot see anything beyond og doom, that's sad but it is true. And no matter how good the next doom game is gonna be, they still will be saying bullshit like "this doesn't feel like a doom game".

I am 20 yo, I can't stand playing doom 1 or doom 2, the technology is too ancient for me. At the same time doom 2016/eternal are my favorite shooters of all time and the reason why I and many many peaople like these games is because Doom 2016 began a new subgenre which I like to call "modern skill-based fps" with emphasis on "modern". The subgenre offers pure gameplay, pure fan, pure skill and pure speed. So simple yet so genius and refreshing in today's times.

1 hour ago, Stoltzmann said:

To some degree. Look at actuall old doom fans most of them don't like new dooms because of nostalgia, their old brains cannot see anything beyond og doom, that's sad but it is true. And no matter how good the next doom game is gonna be, they still will be saying bullshit like "this doesn't feel like a doom game".

I am 20 yo, I can't stand playing doom 1 or doom 2, the technology is too ancient for me. At the same time doom 2016/eternal are my favorite shooters of all time and the reason why I and many many peaople like these games is because Doom 2016 began a new subgenre which I like to call "modern skill-based fps" with emphasis on "modern". The subgenre offers pure gameplay, pure fan, pure skill and pure speed. So simple yet so genius and refreshing in today's times.

i wasnt trying to say nostalgia in a negative light but i get were you coming from (well im 18 and i love classic doom and while i didnt spen much time with new doom i dont see me loving more then classic but thats just preference and i like both)

when i said nostalgia i was thinking of things like the return of pixelated art styles and dead genres like old school puzzel game and 2d platform games and the horror boom that happened in the end of the ps3/360 era

Things are looking pretty good for Doom nowadays, but I agree with the sentiment that after Eternal, it is best for id to focus on something else, either a wholly new IP, or a Quake reboot since it hasn't seen a proper reboot yet.

As for the nostalgia factor in the boomer shooter renaissance, that may play a role there, but I doubt it's much since these games also want to move on with their design rather than staying stuck into the past permanently. Fatigue from triple-A games may be a bigger factor, although they seem to have started doing other things once again, the late 2000s and mid-2010s were way worse in comparison.

I'm glad it's doing well. I personally like both OG Doom and the new versions. Doom 2016 was my favorite shooter of the 2010s, and I think Eternal was great too, though I slightly prefer the dark and mysterious vibe of Doom 2016. As another poster put it, Doom Eternal was one step forward two steps back compared to the 2016 version (but still a fantastic game overall imo).

I would prefer id uses this money to make an original game next, though. Let the new Doom go out on a high note. I'd like to see an original property in the style of Doom and Quake. Maybe they could use the original Quake with its fantasy medieval look as starting point, like a modern day cross of Quake 1 and Hexen or something. I'd love to see that!

Not so sure about "nostalgia" because i think a more fitting term is "brand recognition".

With the massive and old fanbase still alive, Doom technically "never left" and the actual games are somewhat meant to deviate from the originals, for better or worse.

You get some basic elements, then either add new ones or don't carry certain ones.

With the occasional references to the Doom comic and recurring easter eggs, there's also something to be said about flanderization, since that's usually common with franchise revivals.

It's more in line with the public perception of Doom and putting the classic and new games together could facilitate that, even if the new games do their own thing and aren't 1:1 to Brutal Doom in HD or someone's meme copypasta.

In fact, how much the fanbase already did with Doom is probably why the games have to be different, unless id were to risk directly stealing from fans because "well, they figured out some things already" when there's also things that can't be done in an advanced port like GZDoom.

With indie retro FPS, there's also some differences in terms of innovation and experimentation too and they have a spot to feel different from both modded old games and AAA titles.

I also always thought that if Doom ever needed to "feel more classic", some spin-off in a vein of those indie titles with popular/talented modders behind them would sort of work, as long as it doesn't feel like a total rip off to anyone, that is.

With the topic of innovation, i do wonder if there can be a point where modern Doom and "throwback shooters" can feel oversaturated.

Doom is technically in a better state than a lot of other franchises but that statement alone makes me thing some people overlook some parts because it's not like these games are entirely defying the status quo.

Knowing that id Software was somehow upset with Romero releasing unused Doom assets is a good way to question whether or not Doom is in the best hands possible, when a reason for Doom modding to even happen came from Carmack's enthusiasm for hackers and Romero hacking games in his youth.

Meanwhile, there was a time when id added an anti-cheat feature and we know how that went. (i think Doom 3 had something like this too)

I've already talked about the skin events, Twitch Prime and Slayer's Club for a bit too. (mostly about the "post mortem" state of Eternal)

Even when some old Doom fans didn't like the new games, there's still some that do and even liked it enough to make crossover mods with the old games.

I also feel like some people easily dismiss some criticism of the new games by focusing too much on "upset boomers" and "casuals" (something i even tied to some people being formerly either or something in that sort, which is why it feels a bit common) but there are things even some could agree, like the way how armor is now handled.

I think fanboyism can be worse with modern Doom fans because of the nerd culture and brand loyalty they are technically used too, which feels like something companies actually want. (that also along with modern copyright laws and media preservation, so emulation and hacking can be alien to them)

Even with the annoying purist boomers (specially those that misremember the game and get stuff wrong), Doom still had a great enough fanbase with concepts that should be learned, from building a new Wiki as a middle finger to Wikia/Fandom, to the amount of source ports and ways to play the games, to even something like "Doomguy" being treated like his official name.

One portion of the fanbase feels like it had a greater impact with the games (with varying results) while the other makes you think those RLM jokes apply to Doom to an extent too.

Some people didn't like that Doom Eternal won nothing at the VGA's but that's something to be expected with those types of shitshows.

After all, what matters more to Doom is the future and not so much the present.

Even if me worrying about additional content, updates, preservation, access, moddibility etc comes from an OCD-ish prespective.

If id ever tackles Quake, i hope they consider remembering Quake 1's expansions.

Still a shame about QC's state and the fact it could actually die, mainly because it's not using a proper id engine.

I think a new IP could work too, specially if there's some ideas that could benefit from not using an existing property as a base, even if id used existing ones for the sake of innovation.

This is really great to hear.

The way the industry is right now. There are 2 ways to get money 

1) making it bare bones and dumbed down to appeal to the masses 

2) Adding on 15 DLCs and Microtransactions 

Id Software took the less usual approach and made a game they wanted, being fans of the series themselves, but also adding their own flare. And most importantly stuck to their guns and didnt go full #1 or #2

Tldr. If a product is good it will sell.

Edited by jazzmaster9

39 minutes ago, sluggard said:

That's cute, COD generated that in one week

Well yes, cancer does tend to have a high growth rate.

Comparing Doom Eternal to Call of Duty Recyled Warfare is just surreal to me since its the perfect example of the #1 in my example. appeal to the masses by being as simple as possible.

With Eternal being the opposite of being more engaging and targeting a specific audience.

On 3/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, NoXion said:

Well yes, cancer does tend to have a high growth rate.

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475grqlpjp89np7fz3un

Edited by sluggard

On 3/5/2021 at 1:21 PM, sluggard said:

That's cute, COD generated that in one week

I loved the Call of Duty Modern Warfare series but I never replayed any of them. 

4 hours ago, igg said:

I loved the Call of Duty Modern Warfare series but I never replayed any of them. 

Yeah, I never really played them for the campaign, mostly just to rank up with those MP modes missions and challenges.

Edited by sluggard