Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Endless

The DWMaster Endurance Tournament #4: We endure... Stardate 20X6

dlI7z8E.png

All Speed. All skill. All endurance.

The Leaderboard

This month, we endure… Stardate 20X6

» Download here «

@Ribbiks went into a color frenzy during 2013, creating two Cacoward-winning WADs during the 2013 season, both of which stood out for their excessive use of a single color in such an amazing, beautiful way that made us forget that their maps were among the most difficult in history. Stardate 20X6 is no different. On the contrary, it is probably one of his most iconic works, giving us a clear presentation of two of his many positive attributes: obsession with color and a obsession with pain. Ready to take it?

Previous Tournament standings:

Spoiler
  1. Spoiler
  1. @Bdubzzz129,354 (Full Run) 9fMeII3.png
  2. @Willy W. 127,760 (Full Run)
  3. @leodoom85 125,842 (Full Run)
  4. @Pseudonaut 88,574
  5. @Krenium 82,600
  6. @Major Arlene 61,300
  7. @Endless 47,416
  8. @Pegleg 37,241
  9. @head_cannon 32,940

Current standings:

1. Bdubzzz at 138,540 pts (Full Run)
  2. Pegleg at 32,089 pts

Info:

Spoiler

- The essence here is Endurance. A WAD is selected among the great ocean of content that Doom offers. The competitors then have to play the entirety or as long as they can to accumulate points.

For this, we’ll (I'll) calculate:

A.     How long it took the competitor to finish the WAD (the faster, the better).

B.     The skill level chosen.

C.     The category that the player is submitting.

D.     Total progress.

- There are 3 categories, just like some other DW leagues, if you need reference:

1.      First Run: You haven’t played this WAD nor know anything about the general layout of the levels or anything else. This is your blind run, your first dive into it.

2.      Experienced Run: You have played this WAD in its entirety a long ago or don’t remember much of the details, or have watched someone else play this WAD, to the point that you might have a considerable advantage over blind, first run players.

3.      Prepared Run: You have played, finished, practiced, learnt or even mastered this WAD. You know all the levels or most of it and can run it with expertise, giving you a clear advantage over blind, first run players.

- If the selected WAD has, example; 15 maps, you can and should finish all those 15 maps, BUT, you can also decide to leave your run at, let’s say 11 maps, and still be valid for submission in the competition. So, finishing the entire WAD is not needed, but recommended. The player with the most endurance is the one likely to win.

- In the end, whoever finishes fastest with the highest skill level and with the most finished maps will accumulate the most points and win.

- Along the normal WAD competition, there’s also a special Challenge WAD (or can be a special bonus map/or maps of the same WAD) that will follow the exact basic rules of UV, UV+ and NM! only, no saves, no deaths, continuous. This is a bonus and optional challenge that will score up to 5,000 points to the winner. Losers don’t get the points. This is a high risk, high reward kind of challenge. This is so some players that still crave for more can get an even higher challenge, while at the same time being a second chance to score more points. Winners of this challenge will also get a special mention on our winners’ article in the Doom Master Wadazine.

STANDARD COMPETITION:

·         Boom-compatible

·         Use any -Complevel that works for your demo (mostly if you are going to use saves) and/or Boom-compatible for ZDoom source-ports.

·         We endure MAP01 to MAP07. Secret levels are optional, but they do award extra points.

·         Est. first runners time to finish: A lot of time.

·         IWAD: DOOM 2

THE STANDARD COMPETITION RULES:

Spoiler

1.            Any skill level is valid, this includes NM! in case a mad doomer out there is crazy enough to try it. UV Fast is also allowed! All under your own responsibility.

2.            This should go without saying but, NO CHEATS OR CHECKING THE MAP IN THE EDITOR.

3.            No gameplay mods allowed (Brutal Doom, Final Doomer, Supercharge, etc.)

4.            Visual mods allowed (Fullscreen HUDs, Smooth Doom, Vanilla Essence, etc.)

5.            You can die as much as you like. lol

6.            No pistol starting. Only continuous.

7.            You can save up to 3 6 total times per map. When and where is up to you.

8.            You must follow the Competition indications (Which will be published depending on the WAD compatibility, requirements, source-port, etc.)

9.            Freelooks is allowed. But no jumping or crouching.

10.          Secret/bonus levels are optional. They do score extra points, but don’t feel obligated to find them in case you’re a first-time runner.

11.          Any source-port is allowed as long as it runs the WAD.

12.          No dynamic lights, sorry. While they look cool, they also reveal hidden/secret items.

13.          You are allowed to a second submission in case you want to improve your time/score.

CHALLENGE COMPETITION:

» The entire WAD, baby!.«

·         Boom-compatible.

·         Use any -Complevel that works for your demo (mostly if you are going to use saves) and/or Boom-compatible for ZDoom source-ports.

·         We endure MAP01 to MAP07 and the secret MAP31.

·         Estimated time to finish: A lot.

·         IWAD: DOOM 2

CHALLENGE COMPETITION RULES:
I'm doing something different with this month Challenge, to see what suits the Tournament best, so some changes follow:

Spoiler

1.                Ultra-Violence, UV Fast or NM! only. This is up to you. Better chances to get a better score with higher skills.

2.                Only victory allowed. You die and you lose or restart all over and endure until winning.  Even if you die, as long as you win the WAD. You've done it.

3.                This should go without saying but, again, NO CHEATS.

4.                No gameplay mods allowed.

5.                Visual mods allowed.

6.                No pistol starting. Only continuous.

7.                No saves, no loading. Can save up to 6 times per map.

8.                You must follow the Competition Indications (Which will be published depending on the WAD compatibility, requirements, etc.)

9.                Freelook is allowed. But no jumping or crouching.

10.              Any source-port.

11.              No dynamic lights, again.

TL;DR: This time around, the only thing that matters for the Challenge is to win. After all, Stardate is already a freaking big challenge in all skill-levels. Do note, higher skill-level will still award more points.

COMPETITION SUBMISSION REQUIERMENTS:

1.             You can submit your playthrough with: YouTube videos, VODs or demos. If you do make a video, please start from the menu and show your compatibility and lightning options first.

2.           Indicate your Competition Category.

3.           Indicate your total time (the intermission screen is a requirement in your video, demo or VOD, you can use a HUD addon to help with that too.)

4.           Indicate your skill level.

5.           Indicate your WAD progress, example: Finished at MAP29, or Finished the entire WAD.

NOTE: This is the same if you participate for the Challenge Competition, but of course, total time and skill level is irrelevant.

NOTE 2: If you decide to not finish a full WAD, your progress will be taken into account only in your last intermission screen. Example: This means that if you play, let’s say MAP20, but just half of it and don’t finish, that progress won’t be taken into account and your score will be based on the intermission screen of MAP19.

Good luck and have fun, Endurer.

Previous Tournaments:

Edited by Endless : For this Tournament, you can save 6 times per map.

Oh god...

Does this mean a challenge run is completing the entire mapset without dying? Because I'm pretty sure that's impossible for a human to pull off.

14 minutes ago, Willy W. said:

Oh god...

Does this mean a challenge run is completing the entire mapset without dying? Because I'm pretty sure that's impossible for a human to pull off.

Whoops, forgot to update that rule! Stardate is pretty insane in all aspects, so yes, in this case you're allowed to die. Finishing this thing even on HNTR is already a huge achievement.

Edited by Endless

I just heard about the DW Map Club in the middle of last month and had a reminder to come back to check it out. Is this challenge instead of the map club this month? Or is that still to come?

4 hours ago, Outrageous Videos said:

This seems heinous to do completely blind. So you can just suicide at the map until you eventually beat it and so long as you do the entire wad in one sitting you win?

Pretty much :P That's regarding the Challenge Competition tho, the Standard competition is valid as long as you play. Where you leave is up to you.

2 hours ago, rtpHarry said:

I just heard about the DW Map Club in the middle of last month and had a reminder to come back to check it out. Is this challenge instead of the map club this month? Or is that still to come?

I believe you're confusing the DWMegawad Club with this! The Megawad Club is its own independent event and it's run by @dobu gabu maru. The DWMaster Endurance Tournament is not a playthrough club, but rather a competition between players. There's also the DWIronman League by various hosts and the IronEagle by @Pegleg. You should def check them all out. Pretty good stuff to pass the time and make some friends. :)

2 minutes ago, Endless said:

I believe you're confusing the DWMegawad Club with this!

Yeah I think I am :) I was expecting to find something on the 1st for the playthrough club and then wondered if maybe it wasn't done every month. I'll just keep an eye out for it. This endurance one looks fun but more time than I have to play in one go.

Welp, today I made my first attempt.
...on MAP03 I realised I forgot to turn off GZDoom's autosaves, which gave me a 7th save on the previous map, invalidating the run :/

Spoiler

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not having as much fun with this month as I did with the last ones.

Dead on: Map 03

Kills: 382/402

Time of death: 1:38:51

Difficulty: ITYTD

Category: 2

endur_pegleg_stardate20x6.zip

I played this mapset for DWIL back in 2019, although there I didn't survive more than a quarter of the way into Map 01. Nevertheless, this run would fall under Category 2. The playtime was 1:38:51, but with the copious amounts of dying that I did, the total run time of the demo is probably at least twice that long. I made two attempts at the final battle, and considered trying a third time, but ultimately I relented and ended my run there. It's late, and I do have things to do in the morning.

I enjoyed this mapset with saves more than I did playing it Ironman style. Playing it by myself, I would probably have saved about twice as often, because Ribbiks's maps are not my cup of tea. Still, I'm happy with my performance, which was ultimately a lot better than I went in expecting. The mapset is quite good. The overall aesthetics are rather drab, with splashes of color, and it contributes to a very oppressive feeling to the maps. The monster placement, the ambushes, the overall setup of the combat is extremely well-done, as one would expect. There weren't any fights that I found didn't have a good strategy to handle them, although it sometimes took me a few failures to find it (granted, there were some of them where my solution ended up being running around a lot or running away to try to pitch the fight elsewhere). Ultimately, Stardate 20x6 is Ribbiks mapset, and, as such, it's not for everyone. However, even with my (meager) skills, I still found it more or less approachable on ITYTD, albeit it with a stomach for lots of death and a lot of saves.

36 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Dead on: Map 03

Kills: 382/402

Time of death: 1:38:51

Difficulty: ITYTD

Category: 2

endur_pegleg_stardate20x6.zip

I played this mapset for DWIL back in 2019, although there I didn't survive more than a quarter of the way into Map 01. Nevertheless, this run would fall under Category 2. The playtime was 1:38:51, but with the copious amounts of dying that I did, the total run time of the demo is probably at least twice that long. I made two attempts at the final battle, and considered trying a third time, but ultimately I relented and ended my run there. It's late, and I do have things to do in the morning.

I enjoyed this mapset with saves more than I did playing it Ironman style. Playing it by myself, I would probably have saved about twice as often, because Ribbiks's maps are not my cup of tea. Still, I'm happy with my performance, which was ultimately a lot better than I went in expecting. The mapset is quite good. The overall aesthetics are rather drab, with splashes of color, and it contributes to a very oppressive feeling to the maps. The monster placement, the ambushes, the overall setup of the combat is extremely well-done, as one would expect. There weren't any fights that I found didn't have a good strategy to handle them, although it sometimes took me a few failures to find it (granted, there were some of them where my solution ended up being running around a lot or running away to try to pitch the fight elsewhere). Ultimately, Stardate 20x6 is Ribbiks mapset, and, as such, it's not for everyone. However, even with my (meager) skills, I still found it more or less approachable on ITYTD, albeit it with a stomach for lots of death and a lot of saves.

hey hey! Nice, thanks for joining Pegleg! Stardate is a big, big challenge, so congrats on your run, your score is up at: 32,089 points.

well been busy with demo bounty month but decided to do this anyway since stardate 20x6 is one of my favorite wads...

Category 2 Survival in 3:11:27 on UV. I haven't played this single player since maybe the stardate ironman? so some traps were a bit fuzzy. Besides that have seen this wad on Twitch a fair bit recently. :^)

DWEndurance-sdx6-dubz.zip

1 hour ago, Bdubzzz said:

well been busy with demo bounty month but decided to do this anyway since stardate 20x6 is one of my favorite wads...

Category 2 Survival in 3:11:27 on UV. I haven't played this single player since maybe the stardate ironman? so some traps were a bit fuzzy. Besides that have seen this wad on Twitch a fair bit recently. :^)

DWEndurance-sdx6-dubz.zip

What a guy! Awesome run. 3 hours in this is insane, congrats on making it all the way to the end! Your score is up at: 138,540