Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pompeji

Teleporter Ambush

Recommended Posts

So, I was researching on how to do teleporter ambushes and I saw a video by Chubzdoomer that basically said "Hey, you gotta make the wall have a tiny gap the demons on the other side can see through, then make the teleporter, and if you wanna hide the gap make it a middle texture." Now, this is a fine solution, but is there a cleaner way to do it? Can I trigger an ambush through an item being picked up? For context, my map has a tech section where the tech demons are made. There's a pool of blood in a room and I want it to seem like that's where they are born, so I will teach the player to be wary around these blood pools via the use of the teleport ambush. I'm wondering if there's an easier alternative to this or one that is cleaner?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I think the most common method is putting the monsters in closets where they can be activated by the sound of your weapon, but unable to see you or move.

 

Then put linedef triggers around the item that opens a passage for the monster to walk onto a teleporter line.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, JediMB said:

I think the most common method is putting the monsters in closets where they can be activated by the sound of your weapon, but unable to see you or move.

 

Then put linedef triggers around the item that opens a passage for the monster to walk onto a teleporter line.

 

Ah yes! I did attempt this method. I did however fail, as I want the monsters to teleport directly under a crusher. This means I have to make a teleport sector and tag it, which separates it from the rest of the crusher and thus makes the crusher not work the way I want it to. I do however plan on using this tried and true method in order to bring demons to parts of the map the player has already explored.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Pompeji said:

 

Ah yes! I did attempt this method. I did however fail, as I want the monsters to teleport directly under a crusher. This means I have to make a teleport sector and tag it, which separates it from the rest of the crusher and thus makes the crusher not work the way I want it to. I do however plan on using this tried and true method in order to bring demons to parts of the map the player has already explored.

 

If you only need a single teleport destination, it should be fine to just put that (the "thing") inside the crusher sector and choose the crusher's tag as the teleport line's destination?

 

If you need multiple destinations in the crusher, that does make things more complicated.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, JediMB said:

 

If you only need a single teleport destination, it should be fine to just put that (the "thing") inside the crusher sector and choose the crusher's tag as the teleport line's destination?

 

If you need multiple destinations in the crusher, that does make things more complicated.

 

I'd need multiple destinations because the demons end up telefragging each other when my intention is to show the player that monsters come out of those pools, by making a huge quantity of monsters come from the pools(directly under a crusher so the player isn't overwhelmed due to the lack of ammo). I appreciate the help though!

Share this post


Link to post

I would say "Is it possible for you to have multiple lines which each turn on different crushers", but it seems to me that the solution to your problem is self-evident. The reason you want a crusher is so that the player doesn't get overwhelmed with enemies due to a lack of ammo. Is there some reason why you couldn't just put in fewer enemies or more ammo?

 

Alternatively, you could make a pair of sectors in the shape of a donut. The donut itself is the crusher, and the inner sector, the donut hole is where the monsters teleport from. Thus you can sub-divide the inner sector into many pieces to act as teleporter destinations, and when the monsters walk out towards the player, they'll cross the outer sector and some will get crushed.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Stabbey said:

I would say "Is it possible for you to have multiple lines which each turn on different crushers", but it seems to me that the solution to your problem is self-evident. The reason you want a crusher is so that the player doesn't get overwhelmed with enemies due to a lack of ammo. Is there some reason why you couldn't just put in fewer enemies or more ammo?

 

Alternatively, you could make a pair of sectors in the shape of a donut. The donut itself is the crusher, and the inner sector, the donut hole is where the monsters teleport from. Thus you can sub-divide the inner sector into many pieces to act as teleporter destinations, and when the monsters walk out towards the player, they'll cross the outer sector and some will get crushed.

 

I just wanted a memorable sight for my map! A butt load of arachnotrons, mancubi and revenants getting crushed seemed fitting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Pompeji said:

 

I just wanted a memorable sight for my map! A butt load of arachnotrons, mancubi and revenants getting crushed seemed fitting to me.

I'll try to explain the best I can but I usually mess long explanations up (In UDMF in GZDooMBuilder)

 

Make a room not connected to any other room to store the monsters, make a teleporter linedef to the area where you want the ambush to happen, add a scroll floor action to the sector. Then add a very small lift (Can be 32-64 pixels tall) thats in the middle of the enemy/enemies. Heres a picture of what it would look like

SmPdHuD.png

(Yours will be a much wider room where the lift and teleporter linedef will be stretched to fit more enemies, this is just for 1 enemy. Its important to not that for this method you need to angle the enemies so that they come out the right way. You also will probably have multiple teleporters to position the enemies correctly)

 

Later in the map (When you want to do the ambush) put another linedef that the player has to walk over trigger the lifts to lower. Since the floor is scrolling (Which will move enemies) The enemies are carried toward the teleporter, they will teleport and notice you immediately.

 

Theres no doubt an easier way but this works for me.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, nue said:

I'll try to explain the best I can but I usually mess long explanations up (In UDMF in GZDooMBuilder)

 

Make a room not connected to any other room to store the monsters, make a teleporter linedef to the area where you want the ambush to happen, add a scroll floor action to the sector. Then add a very small lift (Can be 32-64 pixels tall) thats in the middle of the enemy/enemies. Heres a picture of what it would look like

SmPdHuD.png

(Yours will be a much wider room where the lift and teleporter linedef will be stretched to fit more enemies, this is just for 1 enemy. Its important to not that for this method you need to angle the enemies so that they come out the right way. You also will probably have multiple teleporters to position the enemies correctly)

 

Later in the map (When you want to do the ambush) put another linedef that the player has to walk over trigger the lifts to lower. Since the floor is scrolling (Which will move enemies) The enemies are carried toward the teleporter, they will teleport and notice you immediately.

 

Theres no doubt an easier way but this works for me.

 

I see what you mean. I think instead of a bunch of demons, I'll teleport a single Spider Mastermind and let it die under the crusher, hehehe. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Pompeji said:

I'll teleport a single Spider Mastermind and let it die under the crusher

Remember that a Spider Mastermind has vastly more HP (health points) than the run-of-mill DooM enemy. Therefore, the crusher might rise and fall several times before the SM dies, allowing it to remain a threat. Remember DooM2 Map 06, The Crusher?

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, ReX said:

Remember that a Spider Mastermind has vastly more HP (health points) than the run-of-mill DooM enemy. Therefore, the crusher might rise and fall several times before the SM dies, allowing it to remain a threat. Remember DooM2 Map 06, The Crusher?

 

Yes! My crusher kills it and it can't escape the room or attack the player since it is a small room.

Share this post


Link to post

I think Stabbey's idea of a donut is a very good one for your purposes.

 

You can also try a similar way: place several small crushers inside of the tagged sectors where you'll teleport the monsters. Think of metal bars "stabbing" the enemies from above. Those things are really cute :) The crushers can all be activated by the same trigger, or you can place different linedefs one behind the other so they get triggered a bit more irregularly which also is a nice effect.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×